Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites - first half of January

Poster: A snowHead
Hello SnowHeads community,

We're planning our first skiing trip to the Dolomites in early-mid January and would love some advice. We’re a family of four, all intermediate skiers, both kids are 17+ so spending a full day on the mountain is a non-issue, Hoping for skiing with breathtaking views and good overall value/quality combo.

We definitely want to experience the Sella Ronda circuit but don’t mind spending some time skiing in the local areas as well. We’ve noted a few places close/on the circuit: Canazei, Ortisei/Santa Cristina/Selva in Val Gardena, but are open to other suggestions. We’re looking for recommendations on hotels or private residences to stay in. If it's a hotel, we’d love to consider places that offer half board and extras like a sauna or hot tub, but it’s not a deal-breaker.

We’ll be flying in from North America—would Milan, Innsbruck, or Munich be good options for us? Any other airports should be considered? We’re planning to hire a car and don’t mind a longer commute if necessary.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MikePiter wrote:
Hello SnowHeads community,

Hoping for skiing with breathtaking views and good overall value/quality combo.

Thanks!

Hope no more my friend because that's exactly what you will get!

I've only been once and will be returning in January. So I might see you there.

Selva would be a good option because it's right on the Sella Ronda so easy access both ways. The local area is great too and worth checking out. Corvara in the next valley would also be an option although possibly a more difficult transfer. Ortisei/Santa Cristina are not directly on the SR but not far way.

Val Gardena would be a good option because it's an easy drive up the valley with no high passes etc. Innsbruck is nearest airport, then Verona (not for long haul though), Milan and Munich doable but a longer drive.

For accommodation, I booked via the tourist office website. Put in your requirements and places will email you their offer.
https://www.valgardena.it/en/

Selva is pretty up market but good vfm imo, you won't go far wrong.

Enjoy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Brenner Pass between Innsbruck and the Dolomites is being upgraded for the whole of next season and beyond so I would discount Innsbruck as it is likely to be a very lengthy traffic jam in both directions. Verona, Venice or Milan are your best options.

Corvara is a great place to stay as it is well connected for the SR and Alta Badia. Lots on Snowheads about the area if you put a search in. You're in for a treat wherever you end up!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

The Brenner Pass between Innsbruck and the Dolomites is being upgraded for the whole of next season and beyond so I would discount Innsbruck as it is likely to be a very lengthy traffic jam in both directions. Verona, Venice or Milan are your best options.

Good to know. Would you say traveling from Munich also utilizes the Brenner Pass?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Owls101 wrote:

Selva would be a good option because it's right on the Sella Ronda so easy access both ways. The local area is great too and worth checking out. Corvara in the next valley would also be an option although possibly a more difficult transfer. Ortisei/Santa Cristina are not directly on the SR but not far way.
Enjoy.

One thing I'd like to add is that we will be renting equipment and I'm assuming all of the mentioned places are not small/distant villages and will have renting shops?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MikePiter wrote:
Quote:

Good to know. Would you say traveling from Munich also utilizes the Brenner Pass?

Yes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MikePiter wrote:
Owls101 wrote:

Enjoy.

One thing I'd like to add is that we will be renting equipment and I'm assuming all of the mentioned places are not small/distant villages and will have renting shops?

Yes, plenty
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MikePiter wrote:

Tick that box!! Cool

As to the other Qs...

1. Resort: Anywhere that has direct lift access to the Sella Ronda is the most convenient...and the most expensive.

Of the four corners, I'd recommend Selva for confident intermediates and apres lovers, Corvara/Colfosco for beginners and early intermediates, Arabba for those who like a bit more of a challenge and Alba/Canazei/Campitello for the budget conscious.

There are a number of other resorts just off the main circuit that are a bit less convenient and possibly a bit cheaper than their on-circuit counterparts. Think Ortisei & S Cristina in Val Gardena, La Villa & S Cassiano in Alta Badia, Pozza in Val di Fassa, etc

You can save a fair bit if you're willing to drive to the lifts each day, but it will add stress.

2. Lodging: A lot depends on your budget, but being close to a main lift is definitely an advantage if you don't like walking in ski boots, driving or catching ski buses and many lodgings even within the main resorts aren't always that close. Come back with what you find and we may be able to tell you any downsides.

3. Airport: Again it depends a lot on budget and available routings from where you're coming from. Be aware of what's been said about the Brenner Pass, so that would probably exclude Munich and Innsbruck. Of the larger Italian airports Verona is the closest, then Venice, then Milan. Some airports make more sense depending on which resort you're heading to. Venice is best for Arabba. Verona for Selva. Milan Malpensa is a long drive (4hr+) to anywhere in the Dolomites.

You could do this many, many ways, but all things being equal, my best recommendation would be fly to Venice, rent a car, drive up to Arabba and stay at one of the nice HB hotels near the Burz lift! Have a day in Venice on the way out! Cool

Probably best working out what the most sensible flight option is from where you are and go from there as the choice of resort/lodging flows from that wink

Any more Qs, we're here to help if we can! snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What sort of skiing are you looking for? The steeper pistes are at Arabba. Otherwise there is endless easy or intermediate piste skiing. There is almost no apparent off piste in the Sella Ronda, but actually much dramatic, generally steeper (or very steep) off-piste which you need a guide to find.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK just been looking at flight options, with no direct flights USA to Venice, seems like Newark into Milan Malpensa with United is the cheapest and most sensible option in early Jan.

So if you fly to Milan, pick up a car, drive to Selva, it will take 4 hrs or more depending on traffic along A4, look for a nice HB Hotel near the nursery slopes, that will give you access pretty much ski-in ski-out both directions to Dantercepies and Ciampinoi lifts. From the Alaska down to the Acadia, anywhere around there or alternatively at the base of the Ciampinoi, from the Savoy to the Freina. Be aware that the main road through Selva can be busy at peak times and parking is tricky unless your lodging has a private parking space included. The places at Plan de Gralba have great views and are super-convenient for skiing if you don't mind being a bit out of the village. Easier parking up there too.

I can't recommend any of the names I mentioned as I haven't stayed in them, just indicative of good locations.

The only issue you might have is if your flights don't coincide with the usual Sat-Sat weekly bookings that some hotels insist upon.

On the way back to Milan, if you have time, some interesting stop-offs might be Limone as you ride down the western side of Lake Garda or the old city of Bergamo.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
luigi wrote:
OK just been looking at flight options, with no direct flights USA to Venice, seems like Newark into Milan Malpensa with United is the cheapest and most sensible option in early Jan.

Thanks, this is what I'm arriving at as well, since driving from Swiss/Germany/Austria side might be a challenge.

luigi wrote:
On the way back to Milan, if you have time, some interesting stop-offs might be Limone as you ride down the western side of Lake Garda or the old city of Bergamo.

Glad you brought it up, I was actually thinking about that option of spending a day or two before or after the skiing as well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball wrote:
What sort of skiing are you looking for? The steeper pistes are at Arabba. Otherwise there is endless easy or intermediate piste skiing. There is almost no apparent off piste in the Sella Ronda, but actually much dramatic, generally steeper (or very steep) off-piste which you need a guide to find.

We're really not looking for anything too extreme, half of our group have just made it to the "intermediate" category recently and we'd likely stay together for the most part.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MikePiter wrote:
[quote="snowball" We're really not looking for anything too extreme, half of our group have just made it to the "intermediate" category recently and we'd likely stay together for the most part.

I would advise a run on the nursery slopes then going to the Dantercepies gondola on your first day. If you go up Ciampionoi the options are various degress of "tricky". While no where near extream, can be tough if you've not skied for a while.

Someone gave me this advice last year. I ignored it, with considerable regret!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did Dolomites last season. Stayed in Selva. From NY and flew into MXP (Milan). Real cheap flight. Drive to Selva thought was just less than 4 hours. No traffic and all interstate-like highways until the very end, which is just one fast moving local road. Very easy and totally fine for us. Would have no problem doing it again. Problem with Venice for us, other than its harder to get direct, cheap and timely flights there, is that it would have taken us to the other side of the ronda, and the drive to Selva would of been a pain with a ton of skinny switchback roads. Basically, if staying at Arabba or near there, try to use Venice. But for me, if staying in Selva, MXP will be best overall option.

One of the great things about Selva for us was they had a lot of restaurant options that had American friendly menu options - steaks, burgers, pizza. Also had local fare as well. Tons of rental shops, grocery stores, etc. But our group was entirely accomplished skiers. We were more proximate to Campinoi gondola, and one would have to navigate some experienced intermediate or higher runs to get out and about from there. As someone else mentioned, I think you can get moving more easily as a newer skier from Dantercepies.

Corvara would be a good place as a base for new intermediates.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have booked a lovely boutique hotel in Ortisei (Hotel planlim) for our February stay. We are flying into Milan Malpensa and are planning to drive to Trento or Bolzano late that evening, stay the night and do the last leg early the following morning. The local Ortisei slopes are lovely. There is lift access to Selva and the SR but this normally takes an hour each way ... but it's never bothered us as we will be using the local shuttles or driving to Selva when doing the circuit.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the insight, everyone—lots of food for thought! I'm also thinking it might make sense for us to stay somewhere on the way after arriving to Milan Malpesa to get more acclimated to the local time so we're not falling asleep on the mountain the first few days of skiing. wink
ski holidays
on the way - Verona, Lake Garda ...

right off the plane - Milano, Lake Como ...

Please stop making this so hard Wink

Fly to MXP, get a car, drive around, eat at Autogrill, arrive in Val Gardena, have fun ... it is Italy !!!

You won't be falling asleep on the mountain.
latest report
We have stayed in both Selva and Arabba.

Arabba is considerably smaller, but this has the big advantage that getting onto the slopes in the morning is easy - we never queued at the chairlift out of town (and were staying directly over the road from the lift, so the boot-room to slope time was minimal!)
There are steeper slopes there, but there is plenty for intermediates. I am an intermediate skier (in that I'm not a beginner), but I'm not that confident, but happily enjoyed every slope on the Arabba piste map (more than once - I went down them all by choice, happily and safely, and went back for more).

Arabba has easier access to the Hidden Valley and the glacier. Selva has easier access to La Longia. So it's worth thinking about what kind of skiing you'd like to do.

Selva has more going for it Apres Ski wise, and more eating options (if you end up somewhere that's not half board).

I'd be inclined to go half board somewhere, and enjoy the local cuisine.

Either way, you'll have a great time. Such amazing skiing and the views are incredible.
snow report
MikePiter wrote:
snowball wrote:

We're really not looking for anything too extreme, half of our group have just made it to the "intermediate" category recently and we'd likely stay together for the most part.

Italy trail gradings go blue-red-black. There are a few blacks scattered about, but easily avoided and none on the Sella Ronda route, just blues and reds, very flattering terrain really. The Arabba sector probably has a greater proportion of red & black, but not crazily so.
snow report
MikePiter wrote:
luigi wrote:

Thanks, this is what I'm arriving at as well, since driving from Swiss/Germany/Austria side might be a challenge.

Switzerland wouldn't make sense at all. Innsbruck would be the only good option from the North, but not with the Brenner Pass issues. Milan is similar driving time to Munich anyway and car rental in winter in Italy is generally a lot cheaper too.

There were some very reasonable options with Level Air (I think it's an Iberia offshoot) going JFK-Barcelona, then onto Venice, if you don't mind a stop. Arabba is about 2h30 drive from Venice.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 17-09-24 16:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Don't think we'd have an issue navigating the trails. We'd probably stay on reds most of the item and we'd capable of navigating a few blacks here and there if there are certain "connection trails" that we'd need to take. As long as they are no moguls, we should be OK.
snow report
At the end of each day you might have to navigate some "moguls" (more like small bumps) on so called "home runs" . Nothing scary, just bunch of people trying to make it down the mountain... It also depends on weather/conditions/exposure but runs are prepared daily and no major bumps, all very manageable for intermediate skiers.

Don't even think twice about visiting this part of the world, it might take some planning and adjusting but I am certain you will love it.

I make this trip every year in January for few weeks and then back in March if not for NA skiing. 3 seasons in Aosta Valley, 2 Val D'Isere and 3 seasons in Val Gardena with St. Anton one year and I am not sure that I have desire to go back there ...

I personally prefer Venice, Milano, Munich (in that order) but it depends on your "local" airport in the US. It is one stop for me anyway (Munich few non-stops daily but Lufthansa and me are not in love, their ski bag policy is sooo bad), expect +/-20hrs "door to door". East Coast might save you few hours.
snow report
Cheapski wrote:
I personally prefer Venice, Milano, Munich (in that order) but it depends on your "local" airport in the US. It is one stop for me anyway (Munich few non-stops daily but Lufthansa and me are not in love, their ski bag policy is sooo bad), expect +/-20hrs "door to door". East Coast might save you few hours.

We're traveling from NYC.
ski holidays
Snow in the Dolomites is very bad in January. Confused
ski holidays
@Mollerski, stop it! Laughing
latest report
MikePiter wrote:
Cheapski wrote:

We're traveling from NYC.

That makes it easier, multiple non-stops to MXP. Another thing to consider if heading to Val Gardena is using public transport (train) to Bolzano and private transfer to hotel, once in Val Gardena car is not necessary (assuming centrally located accommodation, some hotels run complementary shuttles on demand to/from ski lifts). Does not add much more time, saves some money and adds great experience of riding on Frecciarossa train in comfort and speed. Depends on the size of your group, around 120Euros/person
snow report
luigi wrote:
MikePiter wrote:

There are a number of other resorts just off the main circuit that are a bit less convenient and possibly a bit cheaper than their on-circuit counterparts. Think Ortisei & S Cristina in Val Gardena, La Villa & S Cassiano in Alta Badia, Pozza in Val di Fassa, etc

Came across a resort we seem to like in Badia. It is located 600m from the closest lift station, so we'd need to take the shuttle. We're planning to experience Sellaronda circuit at least a few times and I'm wondering what it would take to reach the main circuit from this location? Is Corvara the closest one that is on the circuit? Anyone please chime in if you happen to know.

The hotel seem to run a tight schedule in the evenings, spa areas closes at 7pm, dinner no later than 8pm. Perhaps we'd need to be back no later than 4-5pm to give a chance to experience hotel's facilities - do we even have a chance to make it back by that time? rolling eyes
ski holidays
MikePiter wrote:
luigi wrote:
MikePiter wrote:

Came across a resort we seem to like in Badia. It is located 600m from the closest lift station, so we'd need to take the shuttle. We're planning to experience Sellaronda circuit at least a few times and I'm wondering what it would take to reach the main circuit from this location? Is Corvara the closest one that is on the circuit? Anyone please chime in if you happen to know.

The hotel seem to run a tight schedule in the evenings, spa areas closes at 7pm, dinner no later than 8pm. Perhaps we'd need to be back no later than 4-5pm to give a chance to experience hotel's facilities - do we even have a chance to make it back by that time? rolling eyes

You can certainly do it but it depends a little where the dropoff pick up lift is. From Badia itself you have to ski over to La VIlla and then ski from there to Corvara to enter the circuit.. I would guess in total this would at a little over an hour to the time in each direction but you would probably save around 20 minutes of this each way if the shuttle took you straight to La Villa. If you did get stuck at Corvara it is a pretty short drive through to La Villa and Badia and I wouldn't imagine taxis are to expensive and there may well be busses
Times are guesses from my trips when I've stayed in Corvara and it will obviously depend a bit on your speed, also the first time or two you do it may be a little longer as the lifts in the Alta Badia are notoriously confusing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar wrote:
You can certainly do it but it depends a little where the dropoff pick up lift is. From Badia itself you have to ski over to La VIlla and then ski from there to Corvara to enter the circuit..

Thanks. The ski shuttle from hotel goes to La Crusc. To go to La Villa or Corvara I'd have to use the normal bus. It's ~20 min ride to Corvara, might be a better option if we were to do the circuit. I have a feeling it would take about the same time if we were to go to Corvara by car, which might be another option. Assuming the parking situation by Corvara is not too crazy and you're not charged an arm and leg for it (doubt it's free).
latest report
Speaking for myself obviously, a car will be required.
An Estate with room for skis and boots since you are 4 intermediates who want to see things and ski this huge domain.
A car will allow you to make your own schedule, morning and afternoon, not related to the shuttle taking you at limited times to that rather remote lift.
You can decide to drive to Selva one morning and end your skiing day there.
Have a designated driver who will only have one beer while the others enjoy some apres ski
ski holidays
MikePiter wrote:
T Bar wrote:
You can certainly do it but it depends a little where the dropoff pick up lift is. From Badia itself you have to ski over to La VIlla and then ski from there to Corvara to enter the circuit..

Thanks. The ski shuttle from hotel goes to La Crusc. To go to La Villa or Corvara I'd have to use the normal bus. It's ~20 min ride to Corvara, might be a better option if we were to do the circuit. I have a feeling it would take about the same time if we were to go to Corvara by car, which might be another option. Assuming the parking situation by Corvara is not too crazy and you're not charged an arm and leg for it (doubt it's free).

There certainly are car parks in Corvara though I havent looked at the price. Outside Corvara you can also get parked up on the road to or in Passo Campolongo which gets you a quick start towards Arraba and the Marmolada, think some of the car parking here is just roadside and free though I haven't investigated just from observation.
snow report
MikePiter wrote:
T Bar wrote:

Would work best with a car as it's out on a limb there, but it could be a good value base if you don't mind the inconvenience.

The local area is small, 2 lifts up to the white church and a few parallel runs down.

There is a guy on YouTube who runs a small hotel in Badia, he has great content showing all the local ski areas.

http://youtube.com/v/zMlDYWLrrpE&t=486s

http://youtube.com/v/saLiIVjkOgA

You can connect with the back of La Villa using the 2-way valley chairlift, but it would be a nuisance to do this every day to reach the Sella Ronda areas.

Use the car to head up to La Villa to access the main part of Alta Badia. Go up to Corvara or Colfosco for the linked Sella Ronda areas, you may have to pay to park near the lifts though.

You can drive down to Piculin for the the impressive Kronplatz area.

https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/

You could drive up to Falzarego Pass to access Col Gallina, Cinque Torri, the Hidden Valley and even the Tofana side of Cortina using the Cortina Express.

https://www.bergfex.com/cortina-ampezzo/

There's also the WW1 Tour

https://www.altabadia.org/en/winter-holidays/italian-alps/first-world-war-ski-tour.html

Loads to discover if you have a car and don't mind using it! snowHead

It's a long, long drive from Milan Malpensa though!! Shocked
snow conditions
luigi wrote:

Thanks for all the info. Figured Badia area is further, perhaps adds another hour compared to Val Gardena area. We're planning to stay overnight somewhere on the way after arriving in Milan, so shouldn't be too bad.
ski holidays
@MikePiter, You could just fly into Venice and get the Dolomiti Superski bus to the hotel. Or if in Arabba, get the Arabba fodom.

There is no hurry to book transfers. Also a day in Venice is nice before or after. The Snowheads Birthday bash is in Arabba so see here for some info and the odd video.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=168373

Indeed look up Usteria Posta on Youtube for someone that goes all over the area with the family.

If you hire a car in Venice make sure you have chains and check they fit. Happy Also it will be a diesel and make sure you stop at the first garage and buy diesel additive so it doesn't freeze. Seen that happen before. Happy
latest report
MikePiter wrote:
luigi wrote:

Thanks for all the info. Figured Badia area is further, perhaps adds another hour compared to Val Gardena area. We're planning to stay overnight somewhere on the way after arriving in Milan, so shouldn't be too bad.

Best route is staying on A22 past Brixen, take the SS49, then approach from the North on the SS244, as it's valley all the way, instead of going up Val Gardena and over the Gardena Pass, though that would be very scenic as long as it's not snowing.
snow conditions
Hey Mike,
I am casting my vote for Selva di Val Gardena.
We're a family of four and live in the Southeastern US. We've spent a week each year in Selva for the past four or five years. This has been our experience:

Flight:
We fly into either Munich or Milan and then drive the 3 or 4 hours to Selva. Innsbruck or Verona would be closer, but we live near a smaller airport in the US and we already have one connection. The drive really isn't too bad as it's nice to drive through a new country.

Rental Car:
We always rent a car from Sixt. We can get an Audi or BMW SUV for about €100-€120 per day for a weekly rental, which isn't cheap, but isn't crazy by today's standards. Just be careful, as their reservation rules are a lot stricter than in the US, where you can reserve a car and then just not show up. Also, make sure you rent and return in the same country. We looked into picking up in Munich and then dropping off in Milan - it would have been an additional €1k+.

The Town (Selva): We love the small mountain village charm of Selva. It is small enough where you can walk to most restaurants and shopping, but not too small so as to be boring. There are many nice restaurants and bars, decent shopping, and many good hotels (which I'll get to later). We were always able to walk to either the Danterciepes or Campinoi gondolas, which are on the Sella Ronda circuit. You can also walk to some beginner hills for a quick warmup. Selva is an easy drive to the other towns in Val Gardena: Santa Cristina (very small) and Ortisei (a little too touristy for us to stay, but nice to visit). We also usually take a day off to drive the 45 minutes to Bolzano for shopping and dining. It's a very nice smaller city.

Hotel: There are many nice hotels and apartments in Selva. We've stayed at the Hotel Nives for the first few years. It's a beautiful boutique hotel close to the center of town. It has great food, a very nice pool, sauna, and spa in the basement, and very nice owners (the Linders I think). The only downside is that the rooms are small by American Standards, even the Suites, but which is pretty standard for Europe.
https://www.hotel-nives.com/en/

Apartment: This past winter we rented an apartment in Selva, Villa Margareth, which is also close to the center of town. While we loved the luxury and convenience of a hotel, we really preferred this apartment. It has two bedrooms and two full bathrooms, a living area, and a kitchenette. It was bigger than a hotel suite, and we cooked a few dinners for ourselves to save money. However, we did really miss the hotel breakfasts in Val Gardena, which are really very nice. The owners are very nice people and they live right in the same building.
https://www.villamargareth.it/en/

Like a previous poster recommended, you can use the local tourism website to look for a place to stay. However, if you are planning on Jan '25 you need to book ASAP.
https://www.valgardena.it/en/

Skiing: Skiing in the Dolomites is awesome. I grew up in the Northeastern US, so I'm accustomed to skiing in places like Upstate New York and Vermont. For me there is no comparison. The Dolomites are very steep mountains with many small connected valleys. It's also very nice to ski half way down a slope and then stop at a small family owned alpine restaurant for some local sausages and a beer or Aperol Spritz. The US seems so corporate in comparison. As I mentioned earlier, Selva affords you easy access to the Sella Ronda. Regarding ski parks, at the top of Danterciepes there is small ski park. There is also a pretty big ski park in Alpe di Siusi, where you can use your Val Gardena ski pass. You can get to Alpe di Siusi by skiing over there, but we found it easier to drive to Siusi (past Ortisei) and then take the gondola up to Compatsch in Alpe di Siusi.
If you want to do the Sella Ronda you will need to buy the full Dolomiti SuperSki Pass. If you're gonna stay in Val Gardena you'll save a little buying the Val Gardena only pass (which includes Alpe di Siusi).
https://www.seiseralm.it/en/active/winter-holidays/skiing/snow-park.html?_ga=2.3537328.1278338095.1509951898-1704894080.1506944719

Visit Dates: Be careful about when you visit. One year we booked when most of the European schools were on vacation (kind of like spring break) and the slopes and restaurants were crowded. I think that January is pretty good; a little less crowded than Feb or Mar, which are the peak months. We actually stayed the week before Christmas one year and it was great. Lots of Christmas decorations and Christmas markets, and the prices were a little cheaper. The one minor downside was that the ski park on Alpe di Siusi was not yet fully constructed, which disappointed my daughters a little.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you decide.

Also forgot to mention that you will be pleasantly surprised at how cheap the lift tickets are compared to North America.
latest report
[quote="MikePiter"]
T Bar wrote:
The ski shuttle from hotel goes to La Crusc. T.

La Crusc to the Sella Ronda loop is easy about 45 minutes.
The guy that has the you tubw videos above has one showing the easiest way.
snow conditions
@Mark_NC, for a new snowhead you should get a medal for that highly informative and detailed post.

10/10 Happy
snow report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@Mark_NC, for a new snowhead you should get a medal for that highly informative and detailed post.

10/10 Happy
I live in the States, but I used to work for an Italian company. When I visited the home office in Trieste I went skiing one weekend in Val Gardena and fell in love with the Dolomites.
ski holidays
Mark_NC wrote:

Also forgot to mention that you will be pleasantly surprised at how cheap the lift tickets are compared to North America.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I think doing Sellaronda circuit on the first visit to this region is almost like a bucket item, so I've looked into 5-6 day Superski passes - comes out to 60-70 euros/day, which is a bargain compared to US prices, you're absolutely on point there!

Renting an apartment might also be an option for us, it definitely provides more space for everyone (our kids are both 17+). I'm going to consider that option as well, especially if I can find a place that offers some "evening" activities. I'm a big fun of finish saunas and everybody will definitely enjoy an outside hot tub (which I haven't seen being offered too much actually compared to North American places, not sure why. Could it be that there usually isn't much of the outside space beyond the hotel/appt building?).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy