Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arc 1600 Ski Hire

Poster: A snowHead
I'm heading out to Arc 1600 over New Year and just starting to look at ski hire options. We're staying up the hill and arrive early evening. Does anyone who knows the reosrt have any suggestions? Intersport at the bottom seems the cheapest option but it's quite a walk.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should say we're staying just below the club med.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello - We use Intersport almost exclusively and never had any issues, they also have some ski lockers next door which could be of interest if you have a small walk from your accommodation. If you're staying near the Club Med, you'll have the same walk to any of the other options too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pmercer, by "Should say we're staying just below the club med." mean you are staying at le Ridge or UCPA? I have a feeling that le Ridge has a shuttle bus down to Arc1600 (I saw them constructing a bus turning circle there a couple years ago) and the navette from Arc 2000 stops at club med and UCPA

There is a lot of choice in Arc 1600, at least 7, ski hire shops. Christina Sports which is Sport 2000 is the place for off piste skis, telemark etc. but the Skiset Pierre Blanche is where my niece goes to rent hers, walking past 3 other shops to get there. It's cheep but good.

There are two Interports: one at the Rock Belleface and one in the Rue Charlotte Perriand (also called Galerie Commerciale on older maps). I take my skis to be serviced, buy new skis etc. to the one in Rue Charlotte Perriand. They have excellent staff, but are not cheep.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, yes we're staying at the ridge, a shuttle bus would be really handy so fingers crossed you're correct. I'm leaning towards the intersport option if there is a bus available.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Le Ridge are nicely situated apartments but it is a bit of a trek to and from the rest of Arc 1600. I've walked up there in the summer and it is a 100m vertical ascent. At 1730m it is at the same altitude as Arc1800. Mssr Fernand has a small shop and bar there but there is nothing else. It is not a walk I'd relish after a few drinks in the flesh pots of Arc1600
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any recommendations for restaurants and bars in Arc 1600?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pmercer, Let's start off with restaurants. My three favourites in no particular order are:
Labuche, Good food and a wide variety of choice. The entrance is in a corridor beside the Skiset shop.
Nawi, An international restaurant. When they opened they had signature dishes from around the world a different one every night. It is run by a charming Senagalise woman.
Les Geneux, They have a small menu, but it is very good. I loved their tartare de thon as a starter.

Le Cairn serve good pizza if you like that kind of thing

The restaraunts are all small and you will need to make a reservation

The bar of the Cachette hotel is quite pleasant as a typical hotel bar, and the Cairn serves drinks as well as pizza in a beautiful position in the square in the early evening, but the only bar open late in the evening is the Abreuvoir. It often has live bands and good atmosphere, but I have been in it when we have been the ony people there. Even the staff were outside. The staff are very friendly. It only really gets going at about 11 pm. I love the place. Sadly, they sometimes have Karaoke so check before you go out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@johnE, perfect, I'll try and book a couple before we arrive with it being NY week. Do they tend to have much on for new years eve?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pmercer, a lot happens on New Year’s Eve. First of all you need to get a booking into a restaurant early otherwise they will be already full. Then they will be expensive. And the meal will last a long long time.

I recall one year we went to the paramique New Year’s Eve (now a pizza and burger place largely catering for children), I think the meal was 6 or 7 courses with wine coffee, champagne etc. It lasted from 8.30 to 1 am and had a wonderful party atmosphere. Possibly the finest night out I’ve ever had.

The Abreuvoir has a new year party. I cannot recall if you have to pay to get in but the place is packed and rocking.

Fireworks go off somewhere.

It is hardly surprising that the slopes are quiet the next morning.

Sadly I will not be there this New Year’s Eve. I’m leaving after Christmas week. Otherwise we could meet up.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, thanks for all the advice, I'll sharpen my gcse french skills and attempt to book a restaurant for new years!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone have an idea when lift passes are available to buy? I'm sure in previous years there were special offers available if you bought early.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pmercer, french skills not needed apart from normal politeness. Everyone speaks perfect English with the exception of Natalie the landlady of the abreuvoir.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just jumping on this thread, does anyone know how late in the evening the Funicular to and from Bourg goes?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think it was 8PM every night apart from Thursdays when it was 11PM
latest report
@DHosking, It changes a bit from year to year. You will have to wait until the timetables are released. I think last year it was 21:00 and Thursday's about 23:00 but the year before it as 20:00 and 23:00.
snow conditions
pmercer wrote:
Anyone have an idea when lift passes are available to buy? I'm sure in previous years there were special offers available if you bought early.

last year was 18th October. And discounts up to 6 November.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy