Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY Trip for 15+ people end of Jan/start of Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I would love to get some input. I'm planning our yearly DIY trip. We usually book self-catered studios/1-beds and fly in from London and arrange a private transfer. I feel like I've probably left it late to plan this year but better than my usual December time planning!

Criteria is good for beginner but also advanced boarders + evening amenities.Last year we did Les Carroz as a base to access Grand Massif. Snow conditions were decent but the village itself was too small - the food places closed to early for our group.

Previous years we've done Chamonix, which has great evening amenities (restaurants\spas and events, not bothered for apres ski), but the beginners didn't really like it and lots of travel by bus.

Currently I'm looking at Morzine (for access to PDS) and Val Thorens. Morzine seems to have more available accommodation from my searches. Should I be worried much about snow surety for last week in Jan/first week in Feb? Seems like accessing the rest of PDS is what we should plan for and those resorts should be ok for that time of the year?

Any thoughts or alternative suggestions?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Morzine probably a good mix from your own description.

If no snow there at that point, then most places will be in trouble. Bigger town and facilities than Les Carroz too. Transfer not too far either from Geneva.

Consider also Champèry too, diagonally opposite Morzine on same ski area, connected by Swiss railways too from Geneva right to village centre ! Also a big cable car straight from village centre up to appreciable altitude, there's no mucking about here (railway, bus and cable car all share same terminus in village) the Swiss have really done this aspect impeccably.

Obviously same area to ski , but different flavour.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, Morzine would certainly fit the bill. The town itself is quite big, so lots going on and restaurants open quite late. The main thing to watch is where the accomodation actually is some can be a good trek from the lifts. If you look for somewhere in a reasonable circle from the tourist information centre you won't be too far from either the Pleney or Super-Morzine gondolas.

As for snow surety, end Jan/start Feb is real slap bang in the middle of season so you can be as sure as you can be that there will be snow, just not how fresh or low it will be. Even in a poor year, like the one just gone its only really the Morzine-Les Gets site that can get thin. Pop up the Super-Morzine side instead and you're staight into the higher Avoriaz area with access to the whole PdS where there will be snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Morzine, Tignes, Courchevel 1650, maybe Avoriaz (accessible from Morzine)

Personally I didn't like the lift system at Morzine (snowboarder). I just remember them breaking down all the time and having to go uphill as you got off the lift.

Lots to do in Morzine town of course.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Amazing - thanks for the input gang. It's a big burden planning on behalf of 14 other paying 'customers', it's great to have some validation/input and advice!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@AllTheGear, agreed Morzine will work. Took the misses there on her 2nd trip and it was good for her too. Plenty in the town food and drinking wise, plus you've got the public swimming pool, ice hockey games (if a home game coincides with your trip)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AllTheGear wrote:
It's a big burden planning on behalf of 14 other paying 'customers'

With big groups you just have to stop caring and take the "Look, I'm organizing a trip to X one date Y that's going to cost about Z. If you want in, say "Yes" and give me money, otherwise sort your own bloody ski trip out!" approach. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mjit wrote:
AllTheGear wrote:
It's a big burden planning on behalf of 14 other paying 'customers'

With big groups you just have to stop caring and take the "Look, I'm organizing a trip to X one date Y that's going to cost about Z. If you want in, say "Yes" and give me money, otherwise sort your own bloody ski trip out!" approach. Smile

I'm slowly coming to that conclusion. Otherwise I spent weeks researching/planning/testing different variations only for the same suspects to complain about something! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd have a look at SkiWelt, somewhere like Soll or Ellmau. Short(ish) transfers and Austrian hospitality. Morzine (Where Brits who can't ski, go on a ski holiday) is OK for low-end skiers, but it can be a bit of a slog up and around the rest of PDS.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm organising two trips for 10-30 people each, next season.

The way I organise, is a core c. 4-6 of us agree when/where we're going (and book individually), and tell everyone else.

I give them a list of possible flight times and possible hotels and they sort those out. The key thing for me is to transfer all fiscal responsibilities to the attendees, and not to become a payments intermediary.

I'd go for Morzine, coz I know transfers are relatively easy and people can sort those out themselves.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@AllTheGear,
Snowheads birthday bash?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having just booked one, return GVA/Morzine shared minibus transfers with one of the more reliable rather than cheapest providers is around £100 this season. If all/a big chunk of your group are arriving at the same time though worth contacting some of the companies direct, or even Googling Swiss coach companies as you might get a better price booking all 11 seats or a min-coach.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@RedandWhiteFlachau - thanks for the suggestion

@snowdave - yea that sounds like a plan

@Mjit - nice one, great tips

You guys are the best! Smile Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski3 wrote:

Consider also Champèry too, diagonally opposite Morzine on same ski area, connected by Swiss railways too from Geneva right to village centre ! Also a big cable car straight from village centre up to appreciable altitude, there's no mucking about here (railway, bus and cable car all share same terminus in village) the Swiss have really done this aspect impeccably.

Obviously same area to ski , but different flavour.

I was hesitant to suggest Morgins itself given the desire for a bit of late night life and restaurants, I think they'd find it a bit quieter even than Les Carroz. It's not that there is no life, but there's not a lot of choices, so you're going to tend to do the same bars every night.

Champèry might offer a bit more, but although I've never stayed there (I mean, why would I?) I still think it might be a bit limited for them, based on the first post.

Skiing wise, absolutely, in many ways a better starting point than anywhere on the French side, and yes, it's easily accessible by rail. BUT a return trip on the train from Geneva will cost around chf110 per person - much more than the airport transfer services to Morzine or Chatel (or just over the pass to us in Morgins, which we can arrange) and is a good 2.5 hours, plus any time between arrival and train departure.

We still have availability for that sort of number in our apartments, but pricing is based on per apartment, not per person, so it makes the organisation of a group like this even more difficult.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AllTheGear, if you decide to go for Morzine this spreadsheet is a source of much local knowledge, particularly transfers. With a big group who might be on different flights the local firms are a safer bet as they will usually move heaven and earth to make sure you get where you need to be. Taxi Morzine would always get my vote but you won’t go far wrong with any of the other local firms.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1aE9crBSfm32N7GOLUPxH-po2p0mLyoiLV5Y-602SnYE/htmlview#gid=0
latest report
@AllTheGear. Another yes for Morzine (just stay close to the lifts). Stayed in Avoriaz (very central for everything) in January and conditions were great, just the odd bare spot and some annoying drag lifts on the Swiss side being the only real downsides. Short transfer too. Been to Flaine but I assume you want a different area.

Some other people recommended some other places I've been as well.
Ellmau - very beginner friendly (my first week on snow! so a special place in my heart) - a bit lower but went in January and snow was great there too. Short transfer and great cheap places to eat in the village. Not sure there would be much for the advanced boarders?
Been to Tignes twice in January, beginner friendly and great options for the advanced boarders. Again guaranteed snow, one week some of the lower slopes were a bit icy and dodgy. Tignes has something for everyone and loads of eating options at night but a much longer transfer. (Other similar places would be likes of Les Menuires, Les Arcs 1800, La Plagne)

Our group liked Mayrhofen and it might tick quite a few of your boxes....

Good luck with 14 others! I find 3 others tough enough Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy