Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski resort recommendations for family of 5?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Looking for some recommendations for our family, possibly in France. I've been going cross-eyed with my research!

We're planning to DIY (I much prefer to plan myself than go though tour operators) and go during second or third week in January, with our 5, 7, and 9 year olds. I'm a very timid intermediate skiier, blues are my favourite! My 9 and 7 year olds are proficient blue run skiers with my 9 year-old now probably able to make her way down a red run without any problem. My hubby is advanced skiier and will happily do any ski run infront of him, with the exception of moguls.

We've been to Les Arc 1950, Serfaus Fiss Ladis and Saalbach over the past few years. We really liked Les Arc and LOVED Serfaus Fiss Ladis, but the transfer times from the airports were a bit long (3+ hrs from airports) and we found accomodation in Serfaus a bit expensive. We were in Saalbach last year and it was not the best option for us, mostly because of how spread out it was. It might be a better option when the kids are older and can lug their own equipment around etc. Also found acccomodation quite pricey and really restrictive to Sat-Sat (although it seems that's typical of at least the Austrian resorts)

So we're just wondering if there might be another ski resort that suits us. One of our restrictions is that we're restricted to flying into Geneva, Munich or Turin as we'd be flying out of Cork/Dublin.

So can anyone recommend any a ski resort in France, Austria or Italy that:
- are at decent elevation (1200m +), with at least somewhat decent snow conditions
- good number of wide, cruisy blue runs
- preferably ski-in/ski-out accomodation options that's reasonably priced family of 5, or at least a short-ish (5 min) walk to the gondolas/lifts. (Ideally with breakfast or half-board, but definitely not necessary)
- good ski schools for the kids, or really a ski resort that is kid-oriented/family friendly. (Serfaus Fiss Ladis was incredible at this!!)
- under 3 hr transfer from either Munich, Geneva or Turin
- I'd prefer French resorts (I think- mostly because I understand and speak a bit of French), but am a bit nervous that French ski schools have a reputation for being stricter with the kids? (Please correct me if I'm mistaken!) I really liked the flexible approach we found at the Austrian ski resorts. I honestly have no idea about Italian resorts.
- apres ski definitely not needed, but a little of ambiance in the town would be lovely.

I've recently come across Val Cenis and also Val D'Isere- any thoughts on either of these?

I'd really appreciate any recommendations!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val Cenis would work well for you. Easy resort to get round with some lovely runs for you and the kids and enough to keep your hubby occupied. Transfer from Turn is fairly straightforward especially if you pick up a hire car as it’s a short trip through the Frejus tunnel. Accom is plentiful and cost effective, can’t help on ski schools but outside of ESF there is also ESI based in Val Cenis.

Happy to answer any questions as we have a place close by so ski there regularly, but be prepared to be bombarded with lots of other suggestions off other SH’s.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@andmelffion, thanks so much for this. Ok so it sounds like it's definitely worth taking a closer look at Val Cenis!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Skifamily, val disere is great, lots of skiing options, but a pretty long transfer and you won't get ski in ski out at a reasonable price.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 8-09-24 15:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Skifamily, it seems to me the starting point is suitable resorts around 2 hours transfer from those airports. You can hope for good snow in January most places, although winters do vary. And a lot depends on whether you are prepared to hire a car or want a place with available tranfers. But once you identify possibilities you will have to see if there is accommodation meeting your requirements - the "reasonable" ones might already have been booked.

So from Geneva I would be looking at the northern French Alps, or adjacent parts of Switzerland. Porte du Soleil is an obvious area, either Morzine or one of the other access points which include some the other side of the border in Switzerland; from what you say Les Gets might suit. Grand Massif, Flaine or linked resorts, is another. And Evasion Mont Blanc, St Gervais etc. Not Chamonix which is not a blue run resort.

From Turin, you could easily get to Montgenevre (France) in two hours or the associated Italian resorts of the Milky Way (Sestriere, Sauze d'Oulx). Otherwise to the Italian resorts of Pila or La Thuile in the Aosta valley.

I am not familiar with transfers from Munich so won't make suggestions, but there is certainly a choice of Austrian resorts to consider.

You will just have to take advice on ski schools once you have chosen your destination, most places have several though not all ski schools offer children's classes.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 8-09-24 16:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Les Saisies, in the Belambra Les Embrunes. We stayed there last year. It's properly ski in / ski out, with good good (and also kids clubs I think).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@j b, thanks so much, you've given me some great food for thought there. I'll definitely explore your suggestions, you've really helped me to focus my search! Given the options you've mentioned, I think I'll restrict our search to France or Italy, and leave Austria for another year.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sugarmoma666, oh I've never heard of Les Saisies!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Skifamily, it's not well-known in the UK but is quite big and has a good snow record:
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-holiday-in/les-saisies-957/ski-resorts/
There's great progression through from easy runs to more difficult ones. We had a beginner in our group and it was brilliant.
The Les Embrunes is in the Foret area above the main town, by the side of a beautiful green run.
January this year:

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Skifamily, above I didn't mention Espace Diamant - of which Les Saisies is a resort - only because it isn't quite so easily accessed from Geneva.

It should be within a 2-hour drive, but you would have to hire a car or take an expensive taxi (not that either mightn't be cost effective given there are 5 of you). You can actually get to Praz sur Arly, which is the other end of Espace Diamant, by public transport from Geneva but Les Saisies offers more options.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, Les Saisies would suit you well and the accommodation @sugarmoma666 mentions would be ideal as it's all inclusive, but there are loads of other convenient options. It's an easy drive from Geneva. A very family-oriented resort, and very French.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Skifamily,
La Rosiere.
If looking at Val d'Isere, consider Tignes - same ski area but much more accommodation is easy access to the lifts & slopes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, La Rosiere might suit the bill, though there's more skiing in the Espace Diamant.

Most French places are rather fixated on Sat/Sat accommodation.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kenzie, realistically, even hiring a car none of those options are 2hrs from Geneva are they?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sugarmoma666,
The OP mentioned VdI.
snow report
@Kenzie, and I said it's a long transfer
ski holidays
@Skifamily, you might care to consider La Clusaz, it's one of the closest French ski resorts to Geneva airport.
latest report
Ok all thanks so much for your advice! I think I've narrowed it down to either one of Val Cenis, La Rosiere, Les Saisies or Montgenevre.
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, is the Foret area in Les Saisies easily accessible to any shops and restaurants etc? I've looked at it on a map- It looks perfect, albeit a bit quieter?
ski holidays
@Skifamily, there's a very efficient ski bus service round the resort - it even has an app where you can track where the bus is.
ski holidays
Skifamily wrote:
Ok all thanks so much for your advice! I think I've narrowed it down to either one of Val Cenis, La Rosiere, Les Saisies or Montgenevre.

Not sure what part of Ireland you're in but Ryanair do a weekly Saturday flight in Winter from Shannon to Turin. We've used it the last two Winters and its so handy with small kids in terms of parking outside the door, no security queues.
Turin to Montgenevre private transfer is less than 90 mins. At that time of year i dont think you'll encounter much traffic problems. Montgenevre will suit your group's abilities and the snow for our last 2 trips was good both times. Most accommodation gives very easy access to the ski school meeting points.
Highly recommend ESI Apeak ski shool. We've had a variety of instructors for our kids and all were really good. School sizes are limited. Dont think our kids were ever in a group larger than 5. Adults had some private lessons as well which were good on the whole (a couple of private lessons for you would be recommended based on your own description).

If you're looking at Geneva, as mentioned above the likes of Flaine and Porte du Soleil are very convenient. Somewhere like La Tania could also work well for the family.

Aer Lingus have a sale on at the moment for Winter and I don't think their Geneva flights will get much cheaper (Lyon is a good option for you as well). So if you're going Aer Lingus now might be the time to book. you have the option of cheaper Sunday flights and usually cheaper private transfers if you can get accommodation to match. We've booked with SwissAir Dublin to Geneva for March as they were comning in a good bit cheaper when we were booking so check that out too.

Enjoy the planning!
ski holidays
Val D'Isere was a regular haunt when our kids were that age...we kept going back to some self catering apartments, as we liked it so much....helped by excellent ski schools and a decent village.

However...Tignes represents better vfm. The places I've stayed there have not quite been ski in/ski out, but not far away.
Listed in order of my preference:
1. Hotel Langley Tignes 2100 (Lac)
2. Hotel Aiguille Percee (Lac)
3. Hotel (Belambra) Diva (Val Claret)
4. Hotel Curling (Val Claret)

FWIW. I usually go with Crystal out of Dublin, flying to Geneva.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 9-09-24 11:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@adriangrogan, thanks for this! we usually fly KLM out of Cork (with layover in Amsterdam), but the Ryan air and Aer lingus options sounds good too, especially if out of Shannon. The transfer time to Montgenevre sounds ideal!
snow report
Jeez i'd be avoiding a layover with the kids!! The Ryanair Shannon flight is very early though but the upside is we were in the resort by 11am. Luckily our apartement was ready when we arrived so we checked in and got the kids fitted for skis all by 1.30. And we had a couple of hours messing around on slopes with them that afternoon which was such a bonus and a relaxing way to start the trip.
A quick search shows there's a Cork - Lyon Aer Lingus flight that is very cheap (relatively anyway) at the moment so that could work for you too. Lyon is convenient enough for a lot of resorts and I find it less hassle than Geneva. A private transfer to the likes of Les Arcs (why not go back if you liked it?) or La Tania would be a little over 2 hours all going to plan traffic-wise.
ski holidays
@adriangrogan, Haha, I much prefer to have a layover than drive to/from Dublin from Cork!! Thankfully Schippol is a great airport for a layover.
Will definitely check out the Cork-Lyon flight. Thanks for the tip. That's great you were able to get set up so easily! Our usual routine is to have a lesisurely travel day on a Friday, have a 'practice' ski day on Saturday before the kids start ski school on Sunday.
ahh that's a great question...I'm Canadian and honestly Les Arcs makes me homesick! The company that designed and build Les Arcs 1950 is the same one that 'owned' Whistler in Canada so there are quite a few similarities between the two...
ski holidays
Skifamily wrote:
The company that designed and build Les Arcs 1950 is the same one that 'owned' Whistler in Canada so there are quite a few similarities between the two...

Intrawest made such a good job of Arc 1950, it spoils you for much of the other French accommodation. We loved our week there....everything is close by and it was ski in/ski out.
snow report
Skifamily wrote:
@adriangrogan, Haha, I much prefer to have a layover than drive to/from Dublin from Cork!! Thankfully Schippol is a great airport for a layover.
Will definitely check out the Cork-Lyon flight. Thanks for the tip. That's great you were able to get set up so easily! Our usual routine is to have a lesisurely travel day on a Friday, have a 'practice' ski day on Saturday before the kids start ski school on Sunday.
ahh that's a great question...I'm Canadian and honestly Les Arcs makes me homesick! The company that designed and build Les Arcs 1950 is the same one that 'owned' Whistler in Canada so there are quite a few similarities between the two...

That's true about Cork to Dublin. And i'm a firm believer in doing what suits you and your family best.
Depending on where in Cork you are, the drive to Shannon is not great either. If you like to fly on the Friday from Cork then you may be limited to your KLM route.
One point on the ESI ski school in Montgenevre, they usuall start children's lessons on the Sunday afternoon and then it is mornins thereafter (presumably to let people get ski hire etc done at their leisure on Sunday mornings).
snow conditions
@adriangrogan, absolutely. although the cork to Lyon flight is incredible value, I may have to modify our usual routine to take advantage of it... Ahh that's such a great system at Montgenevre, great to know. I'll have to look at Montgenevre a little more closely.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Old Fartbag, Yes, they did a wonderful job, it has such a lovely ambience too. my also kids loved sledding between the accoomdation in the evenings!
latest report
Skifamily wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Yes, they did a wonderful job, it has such a lovely ambience too. my also kids loved sledding between the accoomdation in the evenings!

IMO. Other than the longer transfer time, you could do a lot worse than go back to Arc 1950. You know the lay of the land, there is an excellent ski school (Evo 2), it gives you everything you are looking for...and when you combine it with La Plagne, there is more skiing than you are likely to have covered the last time you were there.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, all really fair points
snow conditions
While Val Cenis does have some wonderful blue runs, but if you’re not happy on red runs I probably wouldn't recommend it. My favourite blue run there, Les Cupules, on the far left of the piste map, leads into a proper red run with no way of avoiding this. Other areas are also like this, the runs off the Solert chair are likely exactly what you’re after but the final section back to the lift is either a red or a blue that must be on the borderline of being classed as red. The resort is quite small anyway compared to the other places that you mention and if you were to try and avoid the zones which involved some red run skiing then it would start to feel very small indeed. I am a big fan of the area but I’m not convinced that it’s the best option for those who want miles of cruisy blue pistes.
The stock Snowheads suggestion here would be to get some (probably private) lessons with the aim being that the red bits no longer bother you.
snow conditions
Skifamily wrote:

Can I throw Avoriaz into the mix? Only an hour or so from Geneva, all ski in/ski out, snow-sure at 1800m, great family feel with the horse & carts, and Aquariaz water centre which the kids will love..

http://youtube.com/v/2UOAPnhbo9E

https://www.avoriaz.com/en/winter-activities/aquatic-center/aquariaz/
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Skifamily wrote:

IMO. Other than the longer transfer time, you could do a lot worse than go back to Arc 1950. You know the lay of the land, there is an excellent ski school (Evo 2), it gives you everything you are looking for...and when you combine it with La Plagne, there is more skiing than you are likely to have covered the last time you were there.

Having been to Les Arcs (including 1950) and Montgenevre a couple of times each, I'd agree with the above. i'd prefer 1950.
All other things being equal of course e.g. costs, suitable flights etc.
latest report
rambotion wrote:
While Val Cenis does have some wonderful blue runs, but if you’re not happy on red runs I probably wouldn't recommend it. My favourite blue run there, Les Cupules, on the far left of the piste map, leads into a proper red run with no way of avoiding this. Other areas are also like this, the runs off the Solert chair are likely exactly what you’re after but the final section back to the lift is either a red or a blue that must be on the borderline of being classed as red. The resort is quite small anyway compared to the other places that you mention and if you were to try and avoid the zones which involved some red run skiing then it would start to feel very small indeed. I am a big fan of the area but I’m not convinced that it’s the best option for those who want miles of cruisy blue pistes.
The stock Snowheads suggestion here would be to get some (probably private) lessons with the aim being that the red bits no longer bother you.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm actually planning to do a couple of private lessons to see if I can build up a bit of confidence, so it might not hurt to have to a red if I need to.
snow report
adriangrogan wrote:

Having been to Les Arcs (including 1950) and Montgenevre a couple of times each, I'd agree with the above. i'd prefer 1950.
All other things being equal of course e.g. costs, suitable flights etc.

Having also been to both - much as I liked Montgenevre - I would also (comfortably) pick Arc 1950 over it.
snow conditions
adriangrogan wrote:
Jeez i'd be avoiding a layover with the kids!! The Ryanair Shannon flight is very early though but the upside is we were in the resort by 11am. Luckily our apartement was ready when we arrived so we checked in and got the kids fitted for skis all by 1.30. And we had a couple of hours messing around on slopes with them that afternoon which was such a bonus and a relaxing way to start the trip.
A quick search shows there's a Cork - Lyon Aer Lingus flight that is very cheap (relatively anyway) at the moment so that could work for you too. Lyon is convenient enough for a lot of resorts and I find it less hassle than Geneva. A private transfer to the likes of Les Arcs (why not go back if you liked it?) or La Tania would be a little over 2 hours all going to plan traffic-wise.

Thanks so much again for the the Aer Lings tip!! I ended up booking the flight from Cork-Lyon for less than 600eur return for the 5 of us. That's incredible value. Now to figure out which ski-resort to go from there! starting to consider Alp D'huez simply because it's one of the closest high-altitude resorts...but still thinking of Les Arcs, althought I had forgotten how expensive lift passes are there!
ski holidays
Take a look at Sunweb as their accom also includes ski passes…alpe d’huez and Les arcs ski passes are pretty expensive compared to others
snow conditions
@Skifamily, it's 2 hours to ADH and 3 hours Les Arcs from Lyon airport so no biggie. How are you going to transfer?
ski holidays
so I pivoted completely and have booked La Rosiere. Looks like a great option while the kids are still young. Still have to work out transfers, but will likely bite the bullet and get a private transfer, especially since we arrive late-ish on a saturday and leave early too...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy