Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2024/2025 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Well it’s the first of September so time to get this party started. Awaiting Polo’s first slides of the season down the meadows of Les Gets with interest.

We’re heading out late November to get our fingerprints taken at Geneva and maybe a short skin up slide down if there’s any usable snow, then out again for the start of the season proper on 12 December. Avoriaz is slated to open on 13/12, but if there’s any early weekend opening I might pop out for that.

And in answer to the inevitable question - yes, there will be snow on 19 Feb 2025, with a rain/snow limit of 1400m.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure I’ll make it before January but as I’ve bought a season pass for the first time the plan is to head out by car for first week in Jan, park up at GVA and fly back to do a few days in the office w/c 13 Jan then back out for the following week. Might also see if I can swing “working from (second) home” 13-17 Jan.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DJL, is parking at Geneva reasonably cheap for a week?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like about CHF100 for five days.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@andy from embsay, parking-valet.ch are cheaper ... and pretty easy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, nice tip. Saves about CHF30 for my dates. Would save more for a longer stay as it is CHF 19.90 one time plus (from!) CHF8 per day.

Have you found them reliable and quick, both hand over and navette transfer?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DJL, we've used them twice I think, s-i-l twice too and they've been very good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No snow yet but very pretty

Swiss Wall
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobinCH, is it me or are there a few more snow patches hanging about on the Dents Blanches than is normal in September? I seem to recall them being pretty much bare by midsummer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@andy from embsay, I’m a rare visitor so don’t have a point of comparison but the glacier looked pretty healthy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy from embsay wrote:
@BobinCH, is it me or are there a few more snow patches hanging about on the Dents Blanches than is normal in September? I seem to recall them being pretty much bare by midsummer.

Was wondering that myself a few days ago, when it was 30+ degrees down in the valley, but looking up all the snow patches were catching the sun.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Chaletbeauroc, It definitely felt chilly in the evening when we were in Morzine last week, so you’d imagine anything that’s survived til now will make it to the winter.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@andy from embsay, It's been up and down the last week or so (like a lot of the summer, TBH) but still largely staying above 15C overnight here at 1350m, but yeah, give the North-facing aspect and the shortening days I would tend to agree.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Morzine Source are reporting that Morzine+Les Gets will partially open a week earlier than announced - from 14/12. Full opening from 21/12. All obviously dependant on the Snow Gods.

I confess I lost the will to ski (and post on here!) last winter, with the 1½ closed seasons followed by three crap ones Evil or Very Mad. So desperately wishing everyone monster dumps, a snowline under 1000m, and a return of the PdS mojo! snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not a weather question, but does anyone know if the Plateau lift is being upgraded in Avoriaz this summer? It was scheduled to be done, but I haven't seen anything to say it's actually going ahead?
ski holidays
Haven’t been up there this summer @porkpiefox so couldn’t tell you. I know there’s been talk of a replacement and extending it up to the ridge. This webcam shot suggests not.

@ozboy is often a good source of lift development info.

snow conditions
@andy from embsay, Yeah I'd seen that on the webcam too, so assumed it wasn't happening. Just looked at https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/les-portes-du-soleil-morzineavoriazles-getschatelmorginschampery/ski-lifts/ and the year of completion for it has been put back from 2024 to 2025 on the site recently, so looks like it'll be another year until it's done.
ski holidays
Oooh a 10person gondola too! That’ll be a big job, but will take the pressure off Tour.
latest report
andy from embsay wrote:
Oooh a 10person gondola too! That’ll be a big job, but will take the pressure off Tour.

That's exactly why I was keen to see when it would be done, as I agree I think it will make a big difference. The new Lac Intrets lift last year helped in that area too, so they're good upgrades in busy locations.
snow report
We tend not to use Lac des Intrets much as we either use Stade to get to Choucas/Fornet etc or Grandes Combes to get up to the top, so that didn’t make much difference to us - but an alternative to Tour that doesn’t involve a massive detour would be awesome.
snow conditions
Plateau and then skate across the beginners area to the snowpark drag works to avoid Tour but it is painfully slow going up the current Plateau chair. Replacement would be a big plus. I see the current one is of 1982 vintage!
latest report
andy from embsay wrote:
We tend not to use Lac des Intrets much as we either use Stade to get to Choucas/Fornet etc or Grandes Combes to get up to the top, so that didn’t make much difference to us - but an alternative to Tour that doesn’t involve a massive detour would be awesome.

Yes we do too sometimes, but the increase in Intrets capacity has helped those lifts too, so it all helps a bit.
ski holidays
@DJL, we tend to go up and over Cubore then up Brochaux to avoid Tour, which is a heck of a long way round! I remember a mythical way up underground escalators that used to be talked of, but have never found it!
latest report
andy from embsay wrote:
@DJL, we tend to go up and over Cubore then up Brochaux to avoid Tour, which is a heck of a long way round! I remember a mythical way up underground escalators that used to be talked of, but have never found it!

Well you're out for a day's skiing so a long way round involving a few lifts and some runs is all good. Standing in a queue at Tour for 30 minutes not so much!
snow conditions
I find fastest way is to either single out and keep right in Tour queue which moves quickly as people are keen to stay in groups and dawdle leaving gaps to full. The main issue are seats going up empty - it’s an easy fix to marshall skiiers into the gates to fill them but lifties don’t seem to care.
ski holidays
Ozboy wrote:
I find fastest way is to either single out and keep right in Tour queue which moves quickly as people are keen to stay in groups and dawdle leaving gaps to full. The main issue are seats going up empty - it’s an easy fix to marshall skiiers into the gates to fill them but lifties don’t seem to care.

Agree with this and it's the tactic we use for Tour, head as far right in the queue as possible and filter round.

Not filling up lift seats is a real bugbear of mine, when queues are big. My kids have all been taught to just get on the lift and we'll meet up at the top, but the amount of people who seem incapable of doing this annoys me. I've not got an issue if there is only a small queue, obviously, but at busy lifts it shouldn't be happening. I'm not very subtle in my conversations out loud with the kids, as I make sure people can clearly hear what I think Laughing
snow report
@andy from embsay, I could describe the escalator (actually ascenseur publique) route but it's not really a viable option. It's a shame they took out the drag from the bottom of the Tour chair to the Village Des Enfants and the Folie Douce drag up to the ridge, which did give a good hacker route, but that's progress innit? I guess the half-pipe Poma will become the bottleneck once the Plateau bubble opens, but the Stade chair will share the load.

It's the lifties' bosses who don't care about loading chairs, the lifties just follow orders. And they definitely don't get paid enough to deal with the abuse they'd get trying to be queue-line nazis. Singles-lines etc. have all been tried over the years in PdS, no-one (ok the French) don't take any notice Madeye-Smiley. Best just to chill Toofy Grin
ski holidays
shep wrote:
I could describe the escalator (actually ascenseur publique) route but it's not really a viable option.

Oh I don't know, the twin Dormonts drag in the middle of Avoriaz is actually quicker than the Plateau chair and if Tour's really bad can also get quite a queue - so Stade chair/ski to lift next doot to Changabang/walk up around the corner to the drags/drag to the plateau can be 'free-er' if not quicker.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mjit, Four ascenseurs and a short yomp got you from the bottom of Tour to the Linderets valley without using any ski-lifts wink. I think that's what Andy was referring to...
ski holidays
Intrigued how you'd do that now...? Smile
snow report
shep wrote:
@Mjit, Four ascenseurs and a short yomp got you from the bottom of Tour to the Linderets valley without using any ski-lifts wink. I think that's what Andy was referring to...

Indeed it was…
snow report
Ok so I'll do the old-man-of-the-hill chat anyway wink "I remember when this was all fields son.... rolling eyes "

In the old days (until 90's) there was a public lift up the Pas du Lac block from below Chez Flo. It was there so residents could get down to the Medical Centre in the basement on crutches. It was decommissioned when the medical centre was moved up into town, but the glass lift-shaft is still there. Up that, along the corridor and pop out at the bottom of the Hauts-Forts public lift (next to Changabang). As you say, to get there now you have to take either the half-pipe poma or Stade chair.

Up the Hauts-Forts lift, along the corridor and exit at the Dromonts hotel. Yomp up to the Village des Enfants, but instead of getting the Dromonts drags turn right and jump in the Snow building public lift. Along the corridor and pop out at the bottom of the Multi-Vacances public lift. Up that, along the corridor and pop out outside the Sirius block. From there yomp up the cat-track (10 mins in ski boots) which exits right behind the Tour chair top-station.

People used to lap it to get a ski without a lift-pass, or for a night ski, or to get over to Linderets/Ardents if all the lifts were closed for weather or the après-ski went on too long!
snow report
Looks there could be a dusting down to maybe 1900m next Friday - still a long way off obviously but the first sign of whiteness is always welcome.
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
Looks there could be a dusting down to maybe 1900m next Friday - still a long way off obviously but the first sign of whiteness is always welcome.

Nice prep for 19th Feb 2025!
snow conditions
Ozboy wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

Nice prep for 19th Feb 2025!

19 Feb always better with a solid September base…
snow report
A dusting in Avoriaz this morning. All be gone by next week but nice to see the first white of winter.

ski holidays
Snow line just below the Linga TC top station at c. 1700m.
latest report
We're just looking for a short trip (4 nights) before xmas for our family of four. Tossing up either a tiny expensive apartment in Avoriaz, or a cheaper, larger place in Les Gets. Because the family love Les Gets, skiing when its good, atmosphere, shops and bars etc it's winning, but will there be any snow.... thinking of getting a hire car so at least we can drive up to Ardent/Prodains if we need to chase the snow.

I've got my regular friends trip to Kitzbuhel in Jan so I'm happy to treat this as a pre Xmas mini break. But looking out a steamy window at torrential rain is not that relaxing when you've had enough fondue and tartiflette, and not enough exercise, having also paid for ski hire and passes and teenagers need entertaining!

Decisions, decisions.... is it worth taking a look at Flaine for A December trip (I'm a "short transfer from Geneva" kinda guy).
snow report
As you know, pre-xmas in Les Gets can be brilliant (mid-December’s been awesome the last couple of years, just before the torrential rain hit) but if it’s not then you’re out on a limb and have to get round to Ardent/Prodains (and there was no sign of a bus service beyond the normal service buses last year - cue lots of bewildered looking folks wandering round Morzine looking for a bus back to Les Gets)..

Is there nothing larger/cheaper/family-friendly in Morzine as a compromise? Easier to jump on a bus to Prodains, or up Super M and if conditions are good you’ve got the Les Gets side as well.

When in December are you looking at going? I think official opening is 13/12 for Avoriaz/Chatel and 21/12 for Morzine, though they’re allowing for early weekend opening a week before if conditions permit.
snow conditions
Oh yes, I've been to Les Gets early season a few times over the last decade and managed to always get some good skiing. But I fear our luck may run out at some point! A couple of seasons ago it was close, we got 3 days of lovely crisp skiing in before the monsoon washed the snow away but still managed 6 days on the slopes. The resort was closing as we left, sadly just in time for those arriving for Christmas.

Morzine is certainly an option, and I'm considering a couple of places I've seen through Booking.com & Airbnb that could give us options to access both ski areas depending on conditions.

Unfortunately, the way Christmas day and end of term dates fall this year (and our ability get cheaper flights), we're trying to squeeze in a 4 night trip between got Friday 20 Dec to Tuesday 24 (last Easyjet out of Geneva on Christmas Eve - what could go wrong?!).

This is awkward for accommodation that understandably, many places are only booking full weeks starting and finishing on the Saturday or Sunday. So there isn't a lot of availability now for a short trip, without spending £££££.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy