Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2024-25

Poster: A snowHead
Starting the 2024/25 thread early as I wanted to answer a question on the 2023/24 thread that was more relevant to the upcoming year.

The most exciting news from the area is that the Lago Goillet lift (lift Z on the piste map) in the Cervinia area is being replaced this season. The area served by that chair is one of the few north facing areas on the Italian side – and the only high north facing one. As such it has some superb snow from very early to very late. And some great side piste areas. The massive downside was that the chair lift was sooooo slow. You could freeze to death on it – or at least pray that death would take you as a relief from the cold. They are putting in a new high speed six man chair lift. A real game changer. It is also a nice way to get over to Valtournenche from Cervinia. The usual way is to come down the Ventina (piste 7) from Testa Grigia with as much speed as you can to get across the flat 35,36 and then drop down on the 12. However, a nicer way to do it would be to come down the Ventina (7) a bit further and then turn left on 39 to the bottom of the new Lago Goillet chair, which takes you up to the top of the 12 to head over to Valtournenche.

Happy 2024/25 everyone.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skeeezo wrote:
Looking to take advice for a three day trip to Zermatt, skiing from 6th - 9th December this year.

My elsest son is turning 16 in this period and as a treat I was thinking of taking him away for a long weekend skiing at Zermatt. I have found a place to stay in Tasch and travel is sorted but I have a few questions before I confirm everything..

Is it easy to get to the lifts from the train station in Zermatt? We will be using the train each day to travel into Zermatt from Tasch.

Also, do we have a good chance of getting some skiing done during this period? I’m nervous to travel all that way if it’s potentially closed due to wind/lack of snow.

Not bothered about black runs or anything, just a nice getaway and some fun reds and blues.

I am almost always out there in December and have never had a bad time. As well as the good early snow because of the height, there is extensive snowmaking which can start earlier because it will be cold. I will be out a few days after you this year (13 December).

At present we are summer skiing up on the high glacier at Klein Matterhorn. From some time in October we will start skiing the lower glacier from Furggsattel. The main opening is on 30 November (so well before you arrive). They always get a decent amount open so there should be plenty for you to do. The Swiss side consists of four areas (from North to South): Rothorn, Gornergrat, Schwarzsee and Klein Matterhorn). All lifts will be open with two exceptions: the Kumme lift on the north side of the Rothorn; and the Hirli lift, south of the main Schwarzsee lift). On the other lifts not all pistes will be open but there will be pistes running from each lift. The runs down into the village will probably not be open but you are not missing much – those runs are great for getting to après ski but are not great ski runs. You say you are not interested in blacks which is good as it is likely none of the black runs will be open. There will also probably not be much off piste worth doing. Zermatt is very rocky (being quite recently post-glacial) and needs a lot of snow for the off piste to be good. The off piste areas are great but I wouldn’t recommend seeing Zermatt as an off psite destination until February – March and April are by far the best.

Cervinia work much harder at getting stuff opening. They will get open whatever they can (including before the 30 November opening). If there has not been a lot of snow the runs might end at Plan Maison and Valtournenche might not be great.

As others have pointed out from Täsch (anglicised as Taesch and pronounced Tesh) you come into the main Zermatt station. On the east side of the station you have the Gornergrat station and the green E-bus stop that will take you to Sunnegga station and on to the Matterhorn Express station. Those are the only three ways up onto the ski areas. When you buy your ski pass make sure you buy one that includes the Täsch <-> Zermatt shuttle.

December can be windy. You would be unfortunate if that stopped much of your skiing on the Swiss side. It is more likely to close the Swiss-Italy link. You are probably better off buying a Swiss (with Täsch shuttle) pass rather than an international pass. You can upgrade for a day if conditions are good and you want to pop over to Italy. One of the downsides of Zermatt in December is that, being mainly north facing (which in skiing terms is otherwise good), it is cold and the days are short. It is worth popping over to Cervinia for a day where it is mainly south facing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @JohnMo there’s so much helpful information there.

I’m convinced it’s the right place for us. My plan is to arrive late Thursday and providing the weather is compliant, Ski Friday to Sunday. Our first early season trip. Can’t wait!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're coming out to Cervinia for Christmas. We're first-timers to Cervinina.
We are staying in an apartment booked through Vrbo. The address given on Vrbo is Via Piolet, Breuil-Cervinia, Valle d'Aosta, 11028 Italy.

Is anyone knowledgeable about that area, please? Proximity to lifts, shops, restaurants etc?

We like a nice cruisey blue, and fun reds. Eldest likes a black and some options to go off piste, but not essential. Husband is a nervous skier so likes a blue, but is open to trying some gentle reds. We've mainly skied in Les Arcs and Austria.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Owlette, Here ... https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Via+Piolet,+Valtournenche+AO,+Italy/@45.9336445,7.6294938,17z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x4788cce941b344f5:0xd746c10ee255e872!8m2!3d45.9316895!4d7.6299981!16s%2Fg%2F1ptxd9ktd?entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDgyOC4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D

Not quite "central", but close enough to a couple of lifts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks. We'll have a hire car, too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Owlette wrote:
We're coming out to Cervinia for Christmas. We're first-timers to Cervinina.
We are staying in an apartment booked through Vrbo. The address given on Vrbo is Via Piolet, Breuil-Cervinia, Valle d'Aosta, 11028 Italy.

Is anyone knowledgeable about that area, please? Proximity to lifts, shops, restaurants etc?

We like a nice cruisey blue, and fun reds. Eldest likes a black and some options to go off piste, but not essential. Husband is a nervous skier so likes a blue, but is open to trying some gentle reds. We've mainly skied in Les Arcs and Austria.

Thanks

Via Piolet is not very specific. I assume they will give you more details nearer the time. Via Piolet is a road that runs through town. If you are at the north end you will be nearer more shops and restaurants and closer to the best lift for you. If you are at the south end you will be further away from stuff but not disastrously so. You will be near to another lift but probably not one you will want to use – except your eldest.

There are three lifts up (ignoring a small learner lift) from Breuil-Cervinia to the ski areas (I have not covered Valtournenche, a connected area you can access higher up). I will describe them from south to north (right to left as you look at piste map):

1. Cielo Alto lift. This will be your closest one if you are at the south end of Via Piolet. It is a really old chair lift and soooo slow. It is a lovely area (quite a lot of it in the trees – very unusual for Cervinia) and is great to ski if the snow is good. It is north facing so will be cold. The problem is that the pistes coming off the top of the lift are blacks so probably only suitable for your eldest. If he skis it, tell him to stay to skiers’ right and he can get across to piste 7 and join you at the bottom of the Plan Maison gondola.

2. Plan Maison gondola. The middle lift. This will be the closest one if you are at the north end of Via Piolet. It will almost certainly be the one you want to use. It is not a huge distance but it could be a bit of a hike in ski boots and carrying skis if you are at the south end of Via Piolet. This takes you up to Plan Maison. From there there are three consecutive chairlifts that take you up to the ridge on the Swiss border (Theodulpass). The first lift give you access to nice blues and easy reds. The second chairlift takes you up to some fairly easy reds – but stay to the ones on skiers’ right (the ones on the left are trickier – I once had to walk half way back up them carring my daughter in laws and my skis after she decided those pistes were too difficult for her!). The third chairlift takes you up to some fun reds that your eldest will love but your husband should stay away from.

You will probably find yourself skiing back down to Breuil Cervinia from Plan Maison as the blues are nice and the reds are not a problem. The irritating thing with this is that you can’t get directly back up to Plan Maison. You end up at the Cretaz chairlift. See below.

3. Cretaz chairlift. This takes you up to Plan Torrette. You can see Plan Maison higher up but it would be some hike to get there, particularly carrying skis. You can of course ski back down to Breuil Cervinia if you want to enjoy those pistes again. If you want to get back to Plan Maison you need to ski down to the nearby Pancheron lift. From the top of there your eldest will love the blacks and reds down to return to the bottom of that lift – there is also usually some nice side piste action to be had. From the top of the lift your husband should stick to skiers left. He can follow blues all the way back to Plan Maison.

The Cervinia area I have not yet covered is one I am a bit nervous about your husband taking. But it is the only area from which you can get back to the bottom of the Plan Maison gondola and so be closer to your accommodation. From Plan Maison do not use the chairlifts but go back into the main building. Inside there take the gondolas that go over to Cime Bianche Laghi. From there your husband should go no higher. Your eldest can take the large gondola up to the other section of Swiss border, Testa Grigia. The Ventina (7) down from there is the jewel in the crown of the ski area (best done non-stop in a lung busting drive all the way down to town). Your eldest will also like the (new) chairlift in that area that takes you up to Colle Superiore delle Cime Bianche. The pistes (and side piste) under there are great.

The tricky bit is your husband skiing all the way down from Cime Bianche Liage back to the bottom of the Plan Maison gondola. It is red all the way. It is a proper red but not extremely difficult (unlike the top section just discussed). I would hope if he takes it easy and has a few stops he would be OK. As I say, it is a much better way for you to return home given where you are based.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great info @JohnMo, indeed an early start. We are as usual not out till early Feb, but will start to watch all threads from now on. It’s been relatively cold and rainy all summer in Liverpool. Hope it’s relatively the same in Zermatt this winter!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks JohnMo, that is absolutely brilliant! I'll do some blacks, too so the eldest won't be alone. I'll be printing this page! Thank you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is 50mm of precipitation due tomorrow. That would have me really excited in winter as it would equate to about 50cm of snow! As it happens all it means is we’ll get no walking done. It could be good for the summer ski area though as it is cold up there at present and, despite coming during the day, that might well be snow. It is a bit early for the lower glacier and will probably be rain there – but we are still five weeks away from the earliest possible opening date for skiing there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Exciting to see the 2024/25 thead up and running.

Onwards and upwards for a cracking season everyone.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like I was wrong (in a good way). The precipitation fell as snow on the lower glacier as well. Here is the Furggsattel lift (which should open some time in October. Yesterday the glacier was looking the dirty blue grey it usually is in September. Today it is looking nice and white. The snow on the rocks will melt but that on the glacier should help the steady build up to next month.

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking good up there. That said, always a tad sobering to see how much the glacier has dipped over the last 20 years...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Golf will be teeing off early in the European masters in Crans Montana tomorrow due to precipitation due around 3pm. Just over the valley.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some nice low temperatures in the forecasts. But could do with some more precipitation to go with them.

snow conditions
And so it begins. Up on the top left is the summer skiiing glacier. Lower down at the top right is the glacier used for Autumn skiing (now starting to build up a base of snow). That glacier doesn’t extend all the way down to the lift station at Trockener Steg so when they get confident it is cold and likely to stay cold they start building a track of artificial snow connecting the lip of the glacier to the lift station. That is what you can see starting in the lower centre left.

We are still several weeks from even the earliest opening of the Autumn skiing area. But I always think of the start of the building of that track as the earliest sign of the ski season.

snow report
@JohnMo, great visual! Always enjoy reading your updates, hope you have a good season.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy