Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boot Security Locks

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone used any form of locking devise to secure ski boots in a shared boot store / drier?
I was thinking maybe a retractable lock through the boot pulls and secure though the frame of the drier… Any advise welcome.
Shiney new boots taking their first trip this season, hoping to book a hotel with individual lockers but if not would like to secure my boots.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always bring them to the room....and have my own boot driers.

BTW. Welcome to snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello and welcome to SH - Many of us have used those retractable wire locks before an while they are reasonable deterrent for either a causal or accidental incident at lunch for skis, but if you are concerned about this, I'd suggest something a bit more robust than a wire cable lock particularly if you're thinking about security more than someone accidentally taking your boots in error.

Maybe something closer to a low end bike lock that won't be defeated by a pair of wire cutters, particularly as you won't be carrying it with you on the mountain.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the welcome Very Happy I’ve previously had a login but so many years ago I no longer have access to the email to retrieve it Confused

Ref the boots, we’ve been thinking about getting a boot drier, any recommendations? (UK)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snoowgirl, I assure you, no-one would be wanting to nick my boots. And they'd be easily identified if they did Twisted Evil

I'm not entirely sure that boot theft is a thing Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snoowgirl wrote:

Ref the boots, we’ve been thinking about getting a boot drier, any recommendations? (UK)

https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/space-warmer-1-0-240-v-eu-LENZ00012.html?srsltid=AfmBOoqPejYgWcfJxwIelD0sXRPiScj-ouCVKDJGJTCDBEGPw4LqHJpE
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@Snoowgirl, I assure you, no-one would be wanting to nick my boots. And they'd be easily identified if they did Twisted Evil

I'm not entirely sure that boot theft is a thing Puzzled

Possibly not a thing but after a few seasons in awful hire boots I’ve bought customs so would like to keep them safe while using drying facilities on offer.
Will look at portable driers as alternative option, but you know us women, we need every inch and KG of luggage space available Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Like @under a new name, I can't ever remember seeing a boot theft thread/post about boots being stolen in any other ski theft threads so unless you have some diamond studded ones, with solid gold buckles, and a one-off design by someone like Damien Hirst I think you're trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Take them back to the room and pull out the inners and insoles. Leave them in a warm place but not directly against heat source.

No need for locks or gizmo's.

And I've personally don't recall/believe I've stayed in a place with a boot store/drier. I know there are some but I am not sure they are all that common.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nope, never heard of boot theft, nor would I think its a problem or would think I needed to ameliorate the risk.

But if worried just take them up to your room, remove the liners and they should dry ok unless you get them sopping wet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't suppose deliberate boot theft is a thing, but when we ran ski chalets we had occurrences of people accidentally going out in the wrong boots in the morning, which could really bug up both people's day. On one occasion a chap went out in boots two Mondo points smaller than his own, without noticing - just shows how ridiculously big for him his boots were, but also a real danger of his skis coming off randomly. Of course the second person couldn't go out until they sorted different boots, as the ones left were far too big for her, and wouldn't go into her bindings anyway.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
Take them back to the room and pull out the inners and insoles. Leave them in a warm place but not directly against heat source.

...but only if you have a room to yourself/are sharing with someone you know Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah not something I'd overly worry about - the smell alone discourages tea leaves. Maybe sticker them up uniquely to prevent accidental "borrowing" or cable them or keep in the room if really worried.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never gave theft of boots a thought.
We did have a incident in Ischgl Hotel a while back when some ladies when they got back thought it would be fun to mix up boots on the drying racks.
Folk didn't find out till the morning.
The place had cctv and the perpetrators got turfed out that evening.
We were back in the hotel last winter but it's all individual heated lockers now. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FWIW. I don't bring my boots to the room because I worry they'll be stolen....but to dry them out. I don't trust the drying systems in boot rooms, as they can be too hot and effect the custom footbeds.

Years ago, I realized that putting them in the locker with the skis and having the snow melt into them, was ridiculously stupid. Toofy Grin
latest report
Depends on what type of accommodation I'm in but generally take to my room and use Drysure boot things (no electric but do a remarkable job).

Boot theft is sometimes a thing but it's rare and usually more likely due to mistake, someone at the PreBB (think it may have been Neddy SkiGoon) a few years back had some lifted. Old man McFlude has since labelled his boots with marker pen as an identifier
ski holidays
The usb boot driers are decent for a portable solution
latest report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
... Old man McFlude has since labelled his boots with marker pen as an identifier
Is the old guy approach. Stickers & bus stop marker pen.
ski holidays
@SnoodyMcFlude, George and GeePee
Lost their boots the same week. On in Alleghe and one on the airline.
snow report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

I dont think a lock would have prevented the latter?
latest report
Why would anyone steal boots that are fitted for someone else?

Non problem, imo.
snow report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Yes mine disappeared from the boot room in Alleghe but I believe they were probably taken by one of the Italian families in the hotel by mistake. I can’t imagine why they’d be stolen as they were 10 years old and I was planning on getting a new pair fitted for the following season anyway. Just a pain that I had to get a lift across to Arabba instead of skiing and had to hire for the second week in Arabba.
ski holidays
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Old man McFlude has since labelled his boots with marker pen as an identifier

An "L" on one boot and an "R" on the other? Smile
snow conditions
Mjit wrote:
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Old man McFlude has since labelled his boots with marker pen as an identifier

An "L" on one boot and an "R" on the other? Smile

Putting the letters on the wrong boot could be a good security measure.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:

Years ago, I realized that putting them in the locker with the skis and having the snow melt into them, was ridiculously stupid. Toofy Grin

Snows not going to drip into the boots if they are on the racks with toes pointing up rolling eyes
Warm boots out the locker and straight onto your feet are one of life's luxuries. Very Happy

If folks are using the traditional boot rooms with rows of racks I'm sure a snowheads sticker or two would deter anyone touching them?
latest report
Garfield wrote:

Snows not going to drip into the boots if they are on the racks with toes pointing up rolling eyes

This was nearly 40 years ago. There were no racks, just plain wooden ski lockers, where the boots sat on the floor beneath the skis....and yes, I was an idiot. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Mjit, he's pretty close to needing that!
ski holidays
My wife once had her sandals nicked from the boot room whilst we were out skiing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar wrote:
My wife once had her sandals nicked from the boot room whilst we were out skiing
I had a similar experience, a pair of very worn slippers nicked from the boot room one EoSB. Even more weirdly, they reappeared on the last day.
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:

snow conditions
Mjit wrote:
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:

That's all very well but how do they know which foot to put them on in the first place? Puzzled
snow conditions
Quote:

Take them back to the room and pull out the inners and insoles.

That's all very well but personally my hands, in older age, were too weak to pull out insoles and liners and put them in again. I was assured it was necessary to salvation but I didn't, and nothing terrible happened. They didn't rot, or smell bad. But I DID take notice of the advice never to leave them in a cold car. I think it's possible to faff too much. I did sometimes leave them on dryers in hotels. Nothing terrible happened there, either.
latest report
@Origen, there are two reasons to do it.

One is short term, so that everything is dry in the morning when you put them on. Obviously this is more pleasant but it also helps to keep your feet warm, something many complain off.

Second is long term bacterial build up and odour. I don't know why you haven't experienced it - maybe your feet don't sweat so much as others. But my shoes can certainly get smelly if I wear them regularly and don't air them.

The other thing is maybe how watertight the boot and how wicking the inners are. When we bought own brand Decathlon boots they were terrible for this.

It's certainly a nice to have rather than an essential. I have forgotten on occasion. And perhaps most important to do at the end of a trip. But equally I definitely want to leave my boots in a ski locker overnight - nothing to do with theft.
ski holidays
No one is going to nick your boots lol. chill out
latest report
Origen wrote:
Quote:

Take them back to the room and pull out the inners and insoles.

That's all very well but personally my hands, in older age, were too weak to pull out insoles and liners and put them in again. I was assured it was necessary to salvation but I didn't, and nothing terrible happened. They didn't rot, or smell bad. But I DID take notice of the advice never to leave them in a cold car. I think it's possible to faff too much. I did sometimes leave them on dryers in hotels. Nothing terrible happened there, either.
+1 If I actually manage to prise them out, I then can't get them back in again. I've always had puny hands, even before I became old and decrepit. I have confessed to guru bootfitter and he's OK with it. I do always use my own boot dryers, though.
ski holidays
@under a new name, it is on hotels. Mine were pinched and a pair 2 SIZES SMALLER left behind in their place. I was furious as I had to go and hire boots to ski
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, Shocked you clearly go to the wrong hotels Twisted Evil
snow conditions
@under a new name, Austria - havent been back Laughing
snow conditions
@Nadenoodlee, that’ll be it. Weird bed duvet things too
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, my wife’s ex husband had his boots nicked in Austria. They were very fancy, apparently.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy