Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts for non skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I have done a search which has been helpful but wonder if I can tap into the extensive knowledge of the members of this forum.

Myself and my partner have travelled to the alps every year since 2009 (covid aside) we enjoy skiing and walking but the last couple of years we have traveled with with a group of friends, some don’t ski much some not at all and I was really hoping to get some ideas for alpine resorts that cater well for non skiers with walks but also resorts that are relatively high (or at least have good snow records at resort level)

Past couple of years we have all been to Seefeld and Filzmoos which have fitted the bill quite well but just wonder if anyone had any ideas of resorts that would offer not only skiing (doesn’t have to be hugely challenging) but also would cater for non skiers for walks and mooching in the snow to keep everyone in the group content

Thank you for your help
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What do your non skiers want to do? Many ski resorts are well set up with walks provided people are suitably dressed and shod. Some have high mountain options ( e g Chamonix). Snowshoes are another option, a bit more off the beaten track. Can be easy or taxing. Most resorts have some lifts which can be used by non skiers. Wengen and area has trains and superlative scenery. The choice is vast, depending on what people want over and above snowy mountains.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have done Saalbach and Madonna di Campiglio the last 2 years with a non skier, they enjoyed heading out for walks and there is a decent selection and free map available.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wengen is my favourite. Car-free resort, access to loads of places by train (including mountain restaurants, so lunchtime meet-ups with skiers possible) swimming pools, shopping (more in Grindewald, a short train ride away) and lots of lovely walks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As Hurtle says, but also Kitzbuhel, which has day trips to Salzburg as an option.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would contend that Saalbach is ideal for a group that includes non-skiers. My reasons are as follows:
1. It’s a picturesque village with plenty going on, and a lively après-ski vibe.
2. The après-ski venues (e.g. the Hinterhag Alm, the Soul House, the Goassstall, the Schwarzacher, Bauers Schialm) are all easily accessible by non-skiers.
3. There are plenty of other activities to keep non-skiers entertained.
4. The resort has the highest number of gondola cable cars of any resort in the world. All mountain tops are thus easily accessible by non-skiers.
5. There are good mountain restaurants at the top stations and mid-stations of all gondolas (except at the mid-station of the Schattberg Xpress). Perfect for rendezvousing with skiers.
6. An inexpensive (€120 for 7 days last season) “walking pass” is available. This covers two rides per day (up and down twice) on the lifts.
7. The scenery is typical “Sound of Music” - very pretty, with forested slopes and beautiful views, and plenty to enrapture any non-skier.
8. There are plenty of nice walks, and maps available from the very helpful Tourist Information Centre.

I live in Saalbach and have a circle of British friends here, many of whom own and rent out apartments, so more than happy to give advice on accommodation, whether it be hotels or self-catering. I can also advise on airport transfers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy