Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valfrejus recent reviews

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello gang,

I am planning a short 5 days (4 of skiing) break for Jan 2025. The group is all beginners that will not do much more than greens and easy blues.

So far I have the flight and car booked. I am now looking for something cheap for them.

I have always had good experiences with Sunweb (plus I was never able to beat their accommodation plus lift pass offers) and the cheapest option is in Valfrejus.

Given the group level I don’t care if the resort is small and there are very few pistes. They will most likely do the same few again and again and again.

What worries me is that looking at the piste map and videos for both Valfrejus and La Norma I cannot see wide greens/blues to learn but instead small tight summer roads now converted into pistes.

Is this correct? The next option by price is Les Deux Alpes but to be fair they don’t need that many kms of pistes. Just a couple of nice wide ones to learn their turns.

Any advise would be much appreciated! Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What's most important for beginners is good tuition. Instructors know where to take people.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very true. One will need lessons as she is truly a beginner the other 3 will want to try alone at first and then take teachers to improve and tackle more challenging runs.

But how would you rate the pistes in the 2 domains for that level?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Am not sure I would recommend Valfrejus for total beginners as there aren’t many wide open pistes and most skiing is above the tree line so can be a bit bleak when the weather closes in.

If it’s an option would suggest you look at Val Cenis which is just a bit further up the Maurienne Valley but is much better for beginners with a lovely long gentle green run from the top of the mountain all the way back to the village.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been to La Norma.

There are a couple of good drags (Melezes and Granges) that serve good shortish practice pistes mid-mountain.

There is a long flat green that goes back from either of the two main lifts out of town back to base. It's pretty flat and boring but obviously can be useful in very early stages of learning.

Other than that it's a handful of good red pistes that would work well after a couple of days if progression is good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @andmelffion , that was my feeling from what I kept seeing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

One will need lessons as she is truly a beginner the other 3 will want to try alone at first and then take teachers to improve and tackle more challenging runs

Don't rely on being able to just walk into a ski school and book lessons. I'd say it's much better to do it the other way round. Have a couple of days with an instructor, then go off and try it all out!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you so much everyone.

We changed this to Les Deux Alpes instead. Price increases by very little for a much larger domain with gentle greens for the beginners to start “en douceur”.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just don't be fooled by the piste map into thinking the green Demoiselle (?spelling) run is a nice way for beginners (or anyone else for that matter) to download at the end of the day. Download in the lift.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, as Origen says, the lowest slopes are the steepest (the opposite of many if not most resorts). The green is an overused, sometimes icy path.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy