Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instructor Season in Austria - which resort

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've just graduated uni and decided to do a gap year and finally do the ski season i always intended to do but which was stopped by covid. I will be working as an instructor in Austria this winter, for context EU passport and German speaker, however unsure as to which resort i would have the best time and season in. The jobs ive been offered are St Anton (but no accommodation which is a bummer as its my favourite resort but i don't think it'll work out), Serfaus (great accommodation but v few brits and not that lively apres), Ischgl (accommodation offered but in Kappl which again would put a dampener on the apres i presume), Solden (smaller ski school and still unsure as to accommodation) and still waiting back on Mayrhofen.

The money i'll earn isn't so important to me and obviously it's not guaranteed due to quiet periods etc, but would love to have a great fun season, with as much skiing as possible in my free time, i've skiid several weeks in St Anton, Solden and Mayrhofen, so know those areas well, however have never skiid Ischgl or Serfaus.

If you were in my position what would you think the best choice would be?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@miko1109, There is someone on the St Anton thread who found season accommodation (doesnt want to work) but discovered its only for folk who are working which, I assume, would cover you. If you are after party then not Serfaus though there are a couple of bars and would assume good for teaching as there is a focus on families and teaching skiing. I would have thought Ischgl is ideal (busy, long season, pretty much guaranteed snow) though Kappl not so good if you want late night partying, there are busses but not late in the evening then only expensive taxis. Bit too far for a bike in the dark in a blizzard!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
munich_irish wrote:
@miko1109, There is someone on the St Anton thread who found season accommodation (doesnt want to work) but discovered its only for folk who are working which, I assume, would cover you. If you are after party then not Serfaus though there are a couple of bars and would assume good for teaching as there is a focus on families and teaching skiing. I would have thought Ischgl is ideal (busy, long season, pretty much guaranteed snow) though Kappl not so good if you want late night partying, there are busses but not late in the evening then only expensive taxis. Bit too far for a bike in the dark in a blizzard!

Ahh great, do you know what the thread was called? currently trying to find the post but having no luck
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mixed in with a lot of nonsense!

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=169280&start=40
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@miko1109, which ski schools have you contacted in Mayrhofen? I spoke with a school last season to do some weekend teaching, but visa restrictions meant I wasn't able to do so, but I know the school I spoke with are always needing English speakers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
swskier wrote:
@miko1109, which ski schools have you contacted in Mayrhofen? I spoke with a school last season to do some weekend teaching, but visa restrictions meant I wasn't able to do so, but I know the school I spoke with are always needing English speakers.

i've emailed Habeler, 3000 and SMT. Doubt i'll get an offer from 3000 as i don't speak Dutch, but no replies yet from the others, however i did email them last week.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@munich_irish, thank you!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
miko1109 wrote:
swskier wrote:

i've emailed Habeler, 3000 and SMT. Doubt i'll get an offer from 3000 as i don't speak Dutch, but no replies yet from the others, however i did email them last week.

3000 is who I spoke with, Michael and Michaela, and they said they always need British speakers and they could pretty much guarantee me weekend work all season, and asked if I could take time off work at Christmas and in February as they'll have work then too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@swskier, in that case i will follow up with them. Cheers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@miko1109, from what they said, they get brits looking for lessons, as well as English speakers from countries like the Netherlands, and places like Israel in the past also.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@swskier, sounds good. Ik Mayhrofen well and wouldn't mind doing a season there. I like the look of Serfaus and the convenience with the accomm but do think Mayrhofen would be more fun, esp. if they can offer me accomm. in Mayrhofen itself.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@miko1109, How about Ski Amade? Sport Am Jet will start to put out requests for Instructors in September but no harm in emailing early. As you don't need a D-Visa why not come and join our team? Mostly Dutch youngsters but a couple of dual national brits, some Germans and Austrians too. Comes with accommodation. Have a look at the Apres in Flachau if that's your main driver. Just note that if this is your first season you should manage your expectations. You'll probably spend a lot of time with total beginners and you'll be teaching 6 days a week on a contract. https://www.sportamjet.at/

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 13-08-24 18:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@miko1109,
No matter where you do a season, if you don't have a great fun time then the problem is probably you, not the resort.
I'd always recommend choosing a job with accommodation provided (providing it doesn't mean a bloody awful commute). However, try checking out the resort Seasonnaires group pages on Fbook if looking for accommodation - you may get lucky. Just post your requirements & hope someone has a spare bed or two in shared digs
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@miko1109, Is the length of your contract a factor for you? Some schools release employees quite early.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Kenzie, yeah exactly, i've got a few options so no big stress. Just wondering what people's opinions were
snow report
@Austrian Seagull, ideally i'd want to work the whole season. i wouldn't mind getting some part time work in a bar if needed due to lack of hours, which again would require i more apres heavy resort if purely for the employment options, but again i'm not doing a season for the money, so finances aren't something i'm really considering - as long as i don't make stupid decisions (e.g., renting a £1000 a month apartment in St Anton purely to be in St Anton).

the salaries the ski schools have been offering have also been quite varied. from €900 gross, €1200, to €16 an hour as a minimum which would work out to €2200 a month working 35 hours a week. obviously these will vary and depend on how many hours i work, but the latter option is naturally most tempting
snow conditions
@miko1109, €16 per hour is what I was offered in Mayrhofen. I think you'd probably struggle to make up 35 hours a week outside of the Christmas/New Year & February holidays, but you never know! You'd certainly need to be working 7 days a week to get towards that amount of hours probably.

There's a few bars you could likely get some work at in Mayrhofen too, places like Scotland Yard would work well, as it doesn't open until after skiing ends, so you could conceivably do that as well as teaching.
ski holidays
I’m British and German and I’ll be working in St Anton this season. You can definitely find accommodation on some of the Facebook groups for St Anton.
snow report
@miko1109, given some of your key considerations i.e. longish season, some ‘life’ in the resort, reasonably high-demand for English/German speaker, potential options for additional bar work, I’d definitely suggest looking at Saalbach Hinterglemm…..never mind the sheer km of skiing available.

Good luck!
snow report
@swskier, Makes a good point. Ski lessons in Mayrhofen mostly run two hours in the morning and two in the afternoon. So you'd really struggle to hit 35 hours a week. With a contract, you'll usually be first in the line for extra lessons.
ski holidays
@Jäger, my issue w Saalbach-Hinterglemm is primarily its low altitude, and i would probably prefer to stick to Tirol.@RedandWhiteFlachau, yeah again the money isn't my main concern but some hours weekly would be nice. One ski school in Mayrhofen got back to me but were quite rude and adamant that I didn't have the right to work to work in Austria (I have an EU passport), and were generally disparaging about me getting a job anywhere despite already having several offers. So that's slightly put me off
snow report
@miko1109,
Why not just go to one of the big, long season French resorts & teach in English?
ski holidays
Quote:

renting a £1000 a month apartment in St Anton

As cheap as that? wink
snow report
@Kenzie, genuinely hate french skiing. whilst French resorts are genuinely more convenient as they're purpose built (most not all), it's something that i really hate. I'd much rather be in a genuine Austrian village and have to take a ski bus, than live somewhere like La Plagne. Also piste bashing is incomparable, i can count on one hand the amount of times ive skiid a bashed piste in the 3 valleys on a total of 4 weeks there, compared to any resort i've been to in Austria. The infrastructure is also worse, the lack of bubbles on chairlifts, and also everything being genuinely more expensive due to the towns being holiday resorts, and having virtually no year round local population, unlike most Austrian towns.

I also speak German, and don't speak French, so whilst i can do a week in France with mates, a season there is my worst nightmare.
ski holidays
@miko1109, Hows about applying to the resorts around St Anton? Lech, Stuben, Zurs if it's your fav area?
snow conditions
@miko1109,
Speak French? In a season in Meribel Puzzled In Val d'Isere Laughing In Tignes Puzzled Laughing
If you've not skied bashed pistes in 3Vs - what time do you crawl out of bed?
OK, other suggestions - German speaking Switzerland or Italy? Or ski host for a UK TO in a German speaking resort?
snow conditions
@Kenzie, like 9am ahaha and the conditions of the pistes have been god awful compared to Austrian and Italian resorts, and for the 3 valleys ive done VT twice Courch once and Les menuires once as well, and its always the same, minimal bashing, overpriced food, and old chairlifts. I've got job offers from ski schools so im not stressed about the job, just was wondering what people's opinions on the resorts were.
snow conditions
@mike1109 On the assumption you're a qualified ski instructor you should be able to ski to a decent standard on poorly pisted runs without it dampening your enjoyment of the ski experience that much.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markscotski, My skiing ability has nothing to do with the general assumption that pistes should be well taken care of and bashed daily. I wouldn't say that's outlandish for the prices you pay to go the resorts which market themselves as the creme de la creme, when a lot smaller and "lower market" resorts are able to achieve that. Maybe I'm, unlucky and every time I've been skiing in France, the maintenance crews have been on strike which wouldn't surprise me, but regardless purpose built resorts aren't my thing regardless of the "name brand". tower blocks should not exist in the alps and in such gorgeous areas of nature, they remind me of flying into vegas, miles and miles of desert, and suddenly some ugly monstrosity appears where it clearly doesn't belong.
snow report
@ miko 1109 some skiers prefer unpisted/infrequently pisted terrain - go to La Grave Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I know I am sadly well past doing a gap year in a ski resort (perhaps being a "geezonaire" is possible in the not too distant future Very Happy ) but in the nearly 25 years I have been in the Munich area I have been a regular visitor to pretty much all of the ski areas mentioned above. Whilst all of them have their plus points and I can see why folk fall for all of them, I came to the view a few years back that St Anton / Arlberg has the best skiing (both on & off piste), best apres and best atmosphere, yes it can be overcrowded and has got very expensive but it is just better than the rest (compare with Chamonix & Verbier). I dont think you would regret spending a season there especially as you speak German
ski holidays
@munich irish I totally agree with you although would consider Val d'Isere/Tignes in with your "(compare with Chamonix & Verbier)" comment above. However I do consider Saalbach Hinterglemm (Ski Circus) area to be a very good ski area in Austria although a little low in altitude.
snow conditions
@Markscotski, Long time since I was there (30 years) but agree about Val d'Isere but is rather ruined by the monstrosity that is Tignes (apologies to the legions of brits who love the place).
snow report
@miko1109, agree with you on the lifts, was very surprised by the lack of covered chairs, heated seats etc in 3V compared to the Arlberg! Pisting in the 3V was good though on multiple trips last season.
latest report
@miko1109,
£1000 a month for an apartment? Have you done any research into doing a season whilst at university? You'd be lucky to get a bed in a shared apartment for that in any decent sized resort for a season!
You seem to want your cake & eat it. Ski instructor & plenty of free time skiing - wrong job. Ski instructor & partying ditto. Traditional village & affordable seasonnaire accommodation - rare.
Have you considered working & saving in the UK and then ski bumming a season?
ski holidays
@Kenzie, there's plenty of traditional villages with "affordable" accomodation in Austria, which is where the OP wants to go. As an example, a friend of ours lives in Zell am Ziller in a garconniere (studio) plenty big enough for 1, and she pays €700/800 including bills. Including a lovely balcony overlooking the Zillertal Arena and Gerlosstein ski areas.
latest report
@swskier, but that's a permanent residence...nein? You can get that for similar price here in Flachau, but seasonal of weekly lets....Well let's say £1000 will not go far
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, yes permanent, and actually I lied, Mrs Swskier said she's paying €500 inc bills when previously she'd paid €550 inc bills when she lived above us.

The OP isn't looking for a season of weekly lets though are they, they're planning on being in town for the whole season. So they'd expect to find something at a permanent resident price (albeit a 5/6 month permanent so perhaps a bit of a premium).

@miko1109, if you decided on Mayrhofen, you could also look at Gasthof Zillertal. I believe they do some deals of free accommodation if you do some volunteering around the place. There's also a shared house in Schwendau which looks quite nice that has seasonaires living there. It's a big house, and you'd have your own bedroom.
latest report
@swskier, it will still be a holiday let costing a shed load more than a permanent residence

Typo above I meant to say seasonal or weekly
ski holidays
@Kenzie, when i said apartment i did not mean id be renting one whole unit by myself for the price of £1000 a month, i genuinely mean bed. As mentioned either here or in some other thread, Austria has zoning laws which restrict the rental of some apartments to workers for the same price as social housing, thus making it extremely affordable when compared to what tourists pay. This isn't about having my cake or eating it. I'm not sure where you've got this preconceived notion that i don't want to really work and just want to ski and party and hence know nothing about being an instructor, or you've just misunderstood me

Maximising means exactly that, maximising. Doing the most as possible within the confines of any preset limits. i've already said i'll be working as an instructor, so why you'd assume i'd effectively want as few hours for as high pay and low rent as possible to just bum around and party i don't know.

@swskier, Annoyingly one Mayrhofen Ski School claim i have no legal right to work in the EU which is dangly bits, SMT are full of returning instructors and i'm still waiting to hear back from one, but most ski schools have offered me accommodation which would cost no more than €200 monthly, which is obviously more than fine.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy