Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2024 / 2025

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies for the early start to this season's thread but I spotted that prices for the 2024-25 season passes are already listed on the Les Arcs website. I think confirming the prices is a little earlier than the last couple of years? Anyway, season pass prices for adults / under-13 & 65-74 / 75 and older are:

Les Arcs - €716 / €573 / €10
Paradiski - €821 / €657 / €50

There are season pass options at discounted rates for 2 days from 7, 1 day from 7, and 20 non-consecutive days across the season. Passes are free for under-5s.

Benefits such as access to express queues and activity discounts seem the same as previous years. The express lanes are: Mont Blanc / Villards / Vagère / Carreley / Transarc / Arpette / Comborcière / Bois de l’Ours / Marmottes / Varet / Grizzly / Peisey / Vallandry. Did the TransArc have an express lane last winter? I don't think I used it once (from the bottom station), so I don't know if that's an addition to the list of lifts offering an express lane.

The season opens on 14 December 2024 and closes on 26 April. Lift passes are not on sale yet, and as in the last couple of years (since the big price reduction) there aren't any discounts for early-bird purchases. More price info here for other lift passes. Headline rate for a 6-day pass is €348 for Les Arcs, €388 for Paradiski (which also gives a free afternoon on your day of arrival).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone in Les Arcs this summer? I've been watching a new building (circled in red in the webcam photo below) be constructed near the blue path from the top of the Vaguer chair towards the snowpark (I think the piste is called Arpette 2?). The building, and the path to it, have been constructed in the last couple of months. I can't make out what it is, so if anyone is passing it would be good to have a report.

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for posting these prices @rob@rar. Just note that the 3 levels of pass are:

Classic - Les Arcs only no priority lanes
Essesentials - Les Arcs + La Plagne + Queue jumping + some discounts on zip line etc
Premium - essentials + free zip line, etc and once queue jump a day up the Aiguille Rouge (I don't think this is avaiable on a season pass and is 77€ more than essentials for 6 days.

We'll be buying Paradiski season passes again this year even though last year we never crossed over to La Plagne but purely for the queue jumping. IMHO 657€ is not a bad price for a season pass. Like you I cannot recall using the Transarc from the bottom station and only once from the mid station but my recollection was that it did not have a priority lane. The missing lift is Arcabulle - that could really do with one.

See you in Les Arcs. We'll be there over Christmas, early March when our ski club will be in 2000 and again early April. In between we have another trip to Japan planned Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rob@rar, We cycled past in the summer, but didn't really notice the building. There were a stream of big dumper trucks moving around the top of the snowpark (and the new western approach to the Transarc) but couldn't see what they were actually doing.

There has also been a new building built at the top of the Cachette lift. It's tucked neatly away into the rock some distance back. I looks as if it may be a storage shed for race poles etc.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:
The missing lift is Arcabulle - that could really do with one.
Yes, that’s the worst bottleneck in the network, perhaps along with the Aiguille Rouge cable car.

Last winter I did a few weeks during school holidays and often found the Express Lanes actually slower than the regular entrance to those lifts. I guess there are so many people who buy the full ParadiSki pass, and then without thinking use the express lanes. I found it was mostly quicker to ignore the queue jumping feature. Conversely, during off-peak weeks I found the Express Lanes very useful, especially when there was new snow and I was trying to get up the hill as quickly as possibly to get fresh tracks. Then it was essential.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just noticed that Derby is no longer on the priority list. TBH when I tried it last season it didn't seem to be working anyway. The only school holiday time I was in Les Arcs was Christmas and the Easter Monday bank holiday (few people come for just one day of school holiday but my friend and his daughters visited just for the weekend). Neither were particularly busy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE wrote:
Thanks for posting these prices @rob@rar. Just note that the 3 levels of pass are:

Classic - Les Arcs only no priority lanes
Esseentials - Les Arcs + La Plagne + Queue jumping + some discounts on zip line etc
Premium - essentials + free zip line, etc and once queue jump a day up the Aiguille Rouge (I don't think this is avaiable on a season pass and is 77€ more than essentials for 6 days.

We'll be buying Paradiski season passes again this year even though last year we never crossed over to La Plagne but purely for the queue jumping. IMHO 657€ is not a bad price for a season pass. Like you I cannot recall using the Transarc from the bottom station and only once from the mid station but my recollection was that it did not have a priority lane. The missing lift is Arcabulle - that could really do with one.

See you in Les Arcs. We'll be there over Christmas, early March when our ski club will be in 2000 and again early April. In between we have another trip to Japan planned Smile

We were in La Plagne for Christmas last season and ended up buying the Paradiski pass as when I logged into the site to buy, the price for Paradiski was cheaper than LP for us - we were going for a 7 day pass though rather than the usual 6 day one. Didn't see the Classic/Essentials/Premium offer on the LP site - so maybe that's just advertised on the LA site?? The price we paid was for the Essentials, but the benefits weren't advertised so we had no idea we had priority access at some of the LA lifts on the days we headed over there. I live and learn!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
Just noticed that Derby is no longer on the priority list. TBH when I tried it last season it didn't seem to be working anyway.
The express lane was always set up when I used the Derby last season, but it’s awkward to use when it’s busy as it uses the middle turn style, and entrance to that lane can get blocked off when the lift is very busy by people queuing on both the left and the right of the express lane. It wasn’t very satisfactory, so not surprised to see it removed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They have started delivering the cabins up for the Transarcs replacement. Lorries carrying 4 at a time so it will take some time to bring them all up the hill.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
First trip to Les Arcs this winter. Trying to interprit the piste map. Can someone tell me if you can ski over to the top of the Comborciere 41 lift from the top of the Mont-Blanc 4 lift? I don't think you can because it doesn't look like it actually goes up to the ridge line? Can you only get across to the Arc 1600 side from the top of Comborciere?
If i can't access the Arc 1950 side from the top of Mont-Blanc what is the best way to access the Arc1950 side from Arc1600?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DHosking wrote:
Can someone tell me if you can ski over to the top of the Comborciere 41 lift from the top of the Mont-Blanc 4 lift? I don't think you can because it doesn't look like it actually goes up to the ridge line?

Correct, you can not because it does not.

DHosking wrote:
Can you only get across to the Arc 1600 side from the top of Comborciere?

Assuming you mean from 1950 - no, you can take Bois de L'Ours.

DHosking wrote:
If i can't access the Arc 1950 side from the top of Mont-Blanc what is the best way to access the Arc1950 side from Arc1600?

Ski down from the top of Mont Blanc or Cachette to Arpette.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you very much for the info. Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Checking in on this thread. Considering buying a Paradiski pass this year so we van pop over to LP on a couple of the days. However, that'll be determined by whether we go for private tuition for the kids and cut down the amount of hours they spend in ski school, to free us up.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Can you only get across to the Arc 1600 side from the top of Comborciere?

Or the top of Bois de L'Ours, or the top of Arcabule (but I wouldn't do that)
Quote:

It depends what you mean by "best" but one of our common routes from Arc1600 to the 2000 bowl is to take Cachette then Clocheret and down Secret. It is slower than Arpette but IMHO the skiing is nicer.

When they extended to Mont Blanc lift one of the conditions was that it could not go to the ridge line.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski school all booked. No jolly over to LP for us this year as we are taking advantage of going in February half term and have booked the boys into midday lessons. I did not enjoy the grumpiness I endured getting them out of bed and ready for a 0930 meet time at Easter. Big is 13 now and this summer has been sleeping until almost noon most days. A 1230 start means a much more relaxed start to their day. They can choose to get up and ski with me in the morning if they want, otherwise I shall leave them all to it (my husband also like to sleep in). Husband and I can ski together over lunch and we can all ski in the afternoon. Feels like the right fit for us at this stage.

Just awaiting the email telling me passes are on sale and offering the early booking discount (they offer it for weekly passes). The prices for next year are up on the Les Arcs site, but we didn't pay anywhere near that at Easter.

Hoping for lovely snow in February. We still haven't been anywhere near 1600, so I'd like to explore there.
ski holidays
Been perusing the TSD Mont Blanc webcam and the resort has widened the Belvedere 4 piste this summer (the bit of the piste that runs from the top of the Comborciere chairlift to the top of the Mont Blanc chairlift). It’s a piste they have cut in to the slope, and on the section approaching the Mont Blanc top station they have put in some earth-retaining walls to create some extra width. Not a big deal, but nice to see the resort addressing some of the pinch points around the pistes, as that short section there would often freak out novices as it was a bit narrow and they’d go in to a defensive snowplough.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, but there was an early bird last year. You even posted the link yourself on the first page.

Quote:

Discounts available for 6-day passes if bought by 6 November. The discounts seem decent in low season weeks, not so much in school holiday weeks.

https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.com/en/promo-happy-weeks
ski holidays
'Defensive snowplough'. Very Happy
Never a more apt description.
ski holidays
Hi all,

Looking for advice on driving to Bourg. I have got the train the past 9 years, but this year looking to save a bit of cost. I need to know - when driving do you need snow chains/socks to get to Bourg or is that just for getting up the mountain to Les Arcs?

Many thanks
ski holidays
@Macker13, by law you willl need approved snowflake tyres or snow chains in the car to drive to Bourg st Maurice from November 1st to March 31st no matter what the conditions.

I have been driving to Les Arcs once or twice each winter for the last 20 years and only needed to fit chains twice to drive from Bourg st Maurice to Les Arcs and one of those was in April. You are more likely to need chains if you arrive in the middle of the night, like I did. Usually the roads are cleared pretty well come mid morning.

Going up to 2000 or 1950 may need chains more frequently.

I always have chains in the car - just in case.
snow report
johnE wrote:
@Macker13, by law you willl need approved snowflake tyres or snow chains in the car to drive to Bourg st Maurice from November 1st to March 31st no matter what the conditions.

I have been driving to Les Arcs once or twice each winter for the last 20 years and only needed to fit chains twice to drive from Bourg st Maurice to Les Arcs and one of those was in April. You are more likely to need chains if you arrive in the middle of the night, like I did. Usually the roads are cleared pretty well come mid morning.

Going up to 2000 or 1950 may need chains more frequently.

I always have chains in the car - just in case.

thank you - i was thinking of just driving to Bourg and using the funicular to get up like normal. Its just the roads to bourg i was thinking about and the law on that.
ski holidays
@Macker13, The law is the same whether you are driving to Les Arcs or Bourg st Maurice. It applies thoughout the Savoie.
ski holidays
@johnE, ok thank you for your help
ski holidays
Checking in on this thread ahead of a 5 week stay in Bourg from start of Jan through mid-Feb. We were in Bourg at the beginning of this year for 4 weeks and loved the skiing in Les Arcs. Planning on doing the 20 day non-consecutive pass and mixing that in with a la carte at the surrounding resorts. Hope to see some fellow snow heads out there during our stay. Keep the great info flowing in!
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Been perusing the TSD Mont Blanc webcam and the resort has widened the Belvedere 4 piste this summer (the bit of the piste that runs from the top of the Comborciere chairlift to the top of the Mont Blanc chairlift). It’s a piste they have cut in to the slope, and on the section approaching the Mont Blanc top station they have put in some earth-retaining walls to create some extra width. Not a big deal, but nice to see the resort addressing some of the pinch points around the pistes, as that short section there would often freak out novices as it was a bit narrow and they’d go in to a defensive snowplough.

When we walked that section this summer, we suspected it was more a necessity to repair it after a significant earth-slide, rather than proactive action to widen!
ski holidays
Quote:

Been perusing the TSD Mont Blanc webcam and the resort has widened the Belvedere 4 piste this summer

This has never been my favourite bit of slope for the reasons @rob@rar mentions but then Malgovert is not always open.
snow report
Replying to: Hi all,

Looking for advice on driving to Bourg. I have got the train the past 9 years, but this year looking to save a bit of cost. I need to know - when driving do you need snow chains/socks to get to Bourg or is that just for getting up the mountain to Les Arcs?

Many thanks

Hi, drive@Macker13, (not sure how to reply to a specific message neatly). Me and my partner drove to Tignes end of March 2018 from Cheshire. It was a beast of a drive, but looks like you’re in Norwich so you’re way closer to Dover than we were! How many in the car? It’s better with a few drivers (as French motorways I found dark and seriously dull! It made me super sleepy!) Maybe take some EarPods with you and put one in, so you can listen to some music without disturbing your sleeping co-pilots? I’d also suggest you get a tag for the Tolls, as you as the driver will be on the wrong side to pay (if your mates are all sleeping). This negates the need to continually get out of the car (which will also likely wake up sleeping codrivers)! But be warned they’re super expensive!! Cheaper to go through Belgium and Luxembourg but a bit longer, depending on when you’re travelling, you’ll miss most of the hideously expensive French tolls though. I looked just now using Norwich Railway Station as start point and the time difference is minimal, but it’s Sunday and early…you’re unlikely to hit those countries at this time? If you can have Saturday as your first day, as its transfer day and the slopes are quiet! As someone has said above, you’ll need to carry snow chains in the car, along with a motorway kit (check each country requirements as they differ slightly, France is particularly picky though!). You can get a kit off Amazon with the main bits, but you’ll also need to ensure everyone who wears glasses for/who’s driving has a spare pair, as this is law. If you get pulled over and checked, they’ll happily fine you, heavily!
snow report
Quote:

Cheaper to go through Belgium and Luxembourg but a bit longer, depending on when you’re travelling, you’ll miss most of the hideously expensive French tolls though.

According to google maps this route takes about 3 hours longer than going direct, but saves you a bit in tolls (you join the French motorway system at Metz.) and to be honest the Belgium motorways are harder to drive on than the French ones (two lanes, generally busier, more lorries, lower speed limits). Personnaly I'd rather spend the extra 40€ or so on tolls each way and get to Les Arcs less stressed and 3 or 4 hours earlier.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I definitely wouldn't go via Luxembourg and Belgium. It's a long enough drive with adding two unnecessary countries into the mix. And what you save in tolls, you'll spend in fuel.

@Macker13, We drove last year. We opted for the train rather than the ferry for our crossing and crossed on the Friday. We then drove to Auxerre, where we stayed overnight in a Hotel B&B chain and finished the drive on the Saturday. We opted to leave Auxerre later than most, leaving around 11am, but this meant that when we got to the pinch points around Albertville etc, they were clear (we watched the time drop on the sat nav).

We opted for snow socks rather than chains but didn't need them.

Have you looked at Interrail tickets for you and the Mrs instead of buying your tickets independently?

I've just looked and a 4 day Interrail pass for two adults First Class (I know you usually go Standard Premier, so these seat you there) is €718. Plus you pay seat reservations for the Eurostar and the high speed TGV (£40 pp each way on Eurostar and about £12 pp each way on the TGV). The ticket cover first class travel from your home station, too. We utilised the additional days travel with a two night stop in Paris on the way home, though thar would negate your attempt to save some money.

We found it to be fantastic value, even with 4 of us. So much so that my husband didn't believe they would let us sit in First Class from our home station to London, as to go First on that route ordinarily is extortionate. He wouldn't believe me until the conductor scanned it (and then told us all about his recent Interrail trip).
snow report
thanks all this is some useful and interesting info.

We have two kids in tow (last year 4 kids!) so car is definitely cheaper than train. This is why I was weighing it up. I am a massively pro train to the alps person though having done it for 9 seasons on the trot! So its a tricky one. I also have the choice of a landrover defender or audi TT so not the best cars for long distance to the alps which adds to the decision making. All fun and games!

I will look into the inter rail passes!
snow conditions
@Macker13, yeah, I wouldn't be taking either of those two cars tbh.

I did it once in a mates Peugeot 209 GTI but there was only the two of us - and we were young and free!

But you are right 4 in a car budget wise is tough to beat.
ski holidays
@Macker13, I'd happily drive my TT to the alps but only with two of us in it. It can carry all our luggage and is suprisingly comfortable for long distances. Not sure about a landrover however. I once drove 300 miles in one and that was enougth.
snow report
yes with two of us i'd drive to the alps in the TT. But not with two kids in the back as they would be cramped for 12 hours. The landy would make for an epic expedition but would take days extra...maybe an adventure for the future...
snow conditions
I think I even have some snow chains that would fit the TT
snow conditions
Curious goings on today as the lift passes have gone on sale... Im booked for La Plagne but posting here to be of hopefully help

On the LaPlagne site there are big discounts on the Paradiski passes - 6 1/2 days usually €389, early bird discount now €227.5 BARGAIN!
For comparison no discount on the local La Plagne pass showing so far, 6 days is €348

On the Les Arcs site the 'classic' Les Arcs only pass is €348 same as La Plagne, but the Paradiski pass called 'essential' is discounted to €233.5 for 6 1/2 days (I presume the extra is to pay for the express lanes you have at Les Arcs.
No discount on the 'Premium' Les Arcs pass which is €463 for 6 days...

So theoretically, you could buy a slightly cheaper (-€6) Paradiski pass from La Plagnes ticket office and have it delivered to you before you head out (otherwise you have to go over to La Plagne to collect from the ticket office..), but not have the option of the express lane access.

Hope this helps - get them passes bought!
snow conditions
@ukoldschool, good spot! That's are excellent discounts, but worth noting that the discounted prices exclude the peak weeks during school holidays.
latest report
Thanks for the heads up @ukoldshool. I just bough 2 x essential passes for early Jan saving about 300 euro. Discounts like that don't come along every day.
ski holidays
Some changes to Les Arcs for this upcoming season are given here.

https://www.lesarcs.com/blog/sur-la-piste-des-nouveautes

I'm looking forward to trying the new transarc but not too bothered about the snowpark.
ski holidays
@johnE, @rob@rar, wonder if that new building is anything to do with the air quote "creatively" renamed snow park , SPARK, promising "summer and winter fun".
latest report
rdk wrote:
Thanks for the heads up @ukoldshool. I just bough 2 x essential passes for early Jan saving about 300 euro. Discounts like that don't come along every day.

You are welcome!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy