Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Peage Tag (UK bank account)

Poster: A snowHead
I can remember seeing stuff about this before, but I haven't been able to find anything recent - so:
I had an Emovis Tag, but they put the subscription price up, and as I was not planning on using it for a while I cancelled it. I now need a tag again. Any suggestions of the best provider for use with a UK bank account? Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe don't bother... The French are scrapping tollboths and using cameras instead (on some autoroutes at least). You then just pay online just like the Dart Charge or ULEZ.

Edit: I think if you do have a toll tag, the gate reads that instead of your number plate. But there's no speed advantage.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 8-08-24 10:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The critical question seems to be - Which UK bank? - as the issue is if they will accept Euro DirectDebits or not. Some do/some don't. NatWest/RBS accounts seem to work but searching other tag threads will get you a list of ones that don't.

If yours doesn't then the easiest option people seem to have found is to open a Revolut account, which gets you fee free Euro spending too if you don't already have it with something like a Halifax Clarity card.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 8-08-24 9:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have Fulli tag, (formerly Mango Mobilities), as recommended by folk on here. It works fine with Revolut - they have my Revolut Euro account details, I just have to ensure there’s enough €€ in when payments are due… (did forget once but it was easy to resolve)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RobinS, we have used Fulli https://www.fulli.com/en for many years (used to be called APRR before Mango!) for summer & winter travel in France - no charge for months not used and linked to a UK bank account.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As a motorhomer I am mulling over getting a Fulli tag (for when my passenger is sleeping / or cannot reach the ticket machine Toofy Grin )

I believe it can be linked up to a clarity credit card as well, but DYOR

I too have heard that they are scrapping toll booths (but I do not know when)

I don't fancy paying by plate on line as it only takes an easy forgetful/drunken moment and you end up forgetting
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I also have a Fulli tag. I use Starling Bank as they allow me to hold a euro balance. Never had any issues

use this link to sign up and we both get a free two-person day pass to visit the National Trust

https://www.starlingbank.com/referral/?code=02obuZ
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HilbertSpace, The route from Chambery to Geneva reads the plate on entering the autoroute but you still pay at the booth on exit. I suspect they will have the option to pay remotely later (or maybe even now).

As to adopting the DART sceme. This is a bit worrying - the current operator seems to put even the Post Office to shame - see https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/hundreds-of-thousands-of-dart-charge-fines-issued for example.

The advantage of the transceiver is mainly for when you do not have a passenger in a RHD car not for time saving.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I drove back from the South of France a few days ago. I had a péage tag in the past, but not on any longer as it was linked to a defunct French bank account. I picked up paper tickets then paid with a credit card at the exit booth, the old fashioned way (this was on the route between Avignon and St Malo. No sign of the new system there yet. I did find that only one of my UK cards would work contactless. I don't find getting out and walking round the car a chore, really (how lazy would that be!) but on a busy route on is conscious of holding up the car behind, especially until you discover which bit of plastic the system can deal with.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Le Shuttle have an offer
https://www.leshuttle.com/uk-en/discover/offers-and-discounts/emovis-tag
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone use Bip&Go tags? I dumped Emovis when they significantly increased their prices a couple of months ago, and will need an alternative for this December, possibly October. Would prefer to pay with my UK account if possible.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
Anyone use Bip&Go tags? I dumped Emovis when they significantly increased their prices a couple of months ago, and will need an alternative for this December, possibly October. Would prefer to pay with my UK account if possible.

We've got BIP&Go. Works fine and only get a fee in the months you use it. I'll find out this evening if it is still working!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DJL wrote:
We've got BIP&Go. Works fine and only get a fee in the months you use it. I'll find out this evening if it is still working!
Thanks. Do you subscribe to it with a UK bank account?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone. Looked at the Fulli website, they have a special offer with no setup fees, and no admin fees at all for France (including months you do use the tag) for the first year. Seemed a decent offer so signed up, which was pretty painless with the IBAN number of our UK account.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A quick search found this on toll booths being replaced.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/news/list-where-barrier-free-motorway-tolls-are-starting-in-france-and-when/653725
snow report
@195062, also this came through on a bip&go email yesterday
Quote:
From june 2024, the entire 210-kilometre Paris-Normandy motorway (A13/A14) will adopt this technology

https://www.bipandgo.com/en/free-flow/?utm_source=Info_bipandgo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20240807_BG_1143_Flux_Libre_EN
snow report
Number plate / tag scanners are used extensively in the USA and seem to work well, with no need to slow or stop for toll booths. PITA if you are in a rental car though, as it provides an opportunity for the rental company to load up 'admin fees' for processing the toll fees that you are charged during the rental.
snow report
How does it work charging euros to a UK bank account? Do you not get stung for fees? I have a euro bank account so just mildly interested
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Number plate / tag scanners are used extensively in the USA and seem to work well, with no need to slow or stop for toll booths. PITA if you are in a rental car though, as it provides an opportunity for the rental company to load up 'admin fees' for processing the toll fees that you are charged during the rental.

Had a frustrating experience with Fastrak in San Franciso. Online payment only lets you designate time period in 24 hours and I used the San Matteo when returning car to SFO. Bizarrely they claimed that 00.00 on Sunday meant the end of Sunday night not the end of Saturday night and thus I was billed for the person who rented the car the next day who obviously took it over the Golden Gate. Not good for supposedly the most tech forward city in the world.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, I had a frustrating time with Avis over toll fees around New England. Eventually wrote it off to experience and hopefully will be able to avoid them in the future. Florida has a good option for visitors where you can pick up a visitors' tag at the airport which you hang on your rearview mirror and then you pay all road fees direct via their app, with no fees being charged by your rental company. Not sure if that works outside of Florida, but it was an easy option for us a couple of years ago.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
How does it work charging euros to a UK bank account? Do you not get stung for fees? I have a euro bank account so just mildly interested

If you use something like Revolut which is (almost) a bank, you can have multiple currency accounts, including a Euro account and get very nearly the actual FX exchange rate plus minimum/no commission when converting GBP to EU (subject to some conversion T&Cs - like max monthly amount and only weekdays if you're on the basic free account)
ski holidays
@geoffers, yes, but a normal bank? I assumed, maybe wrongly, that Robin S is using his regular UK account
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, I think HSBC recently introduced a similar product to the Revolut one, don't know about any other banks.
latest report
Just moved from Emovis to Fulli. Starling refused the Euro Direct Debit even though publicity says they do accept them. They had also suspended opening Euro accounts. Ended up with DD on one of the big 4 banks with no issues.
PIA as only reason I opened a Starling account was for Euro simplicity.
snow conditions
I’ve found Monzo very good for € payments
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
@holidayloverxx, I think HSBC recently introduced a similar product to the Revolut one, don't know about any other banks.

Yes but that's a different product..HSBC global thing. I got one for the bribe. Wondering about a bog standard current account.
ski holidays
And you need an HSBC current account to have HSBC global I think.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
rjs wrote:

Yes but that's a different product..HSBC global thing. I got one for the bribe. Wondering about a bog standard current account.

Ok, going back to your earlier question. You would have to pay foreign currency fees with a UK GBP current account if it even allows direct debits in euros, I'm guessing that the tag will bundle charges up each month.

HSBC introduced the Global Money Account product at the same time that they sold off their French retail bank, I got the feeling that it was supposed to work just like a foreign current account linked to a UK current account. My old HSBC France account has been transferred to CCF.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rjs, the global account seems to accept payments in Euros, but converts it to pounds. Apparently there are plans for it to remain in Euros in the future. I'm looking for an alternative to my former Barclays France account now owned by French private bankers Milleis. We've got a v small mortgage left which will be paid up in the next 12 months. I'm told we will be asked to close the account when we do.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, My CCF account is working fine now. I needed to go into the branch in Annecy to start with as they had copied my UK mobile number from the HSBC account instead of my French mobile number, their security system won't work with a foreign telephone number.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
And you need an HSBC current account to have HSBC global I think.

Yes you do, I opened both for the £175 bribe but only used them for the minimum transactions required
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, ah, no longer offering the bribe.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
Le Shuttle have an offer
https://www.leshuttle.com/uk-en/discover/offers-and-discounts/emovis-tag

We used the Emovis tag with the Le Shuttle offer too - DD from Monzo was no issue at all, always charged in GBP. I think when you sign up you specify you're a UK user. Would recommend - speedy delivery, and no issue to send it back when we were finished - I cancelled the DD and had an email telling me where to post it back to, and the security deposit arrived back in my account a few days after I posted the tag.
ski holidays
My Emovis tag works with my First Direct (HSBC) GBP UK current account.
snow report
Is there any financial advantage in using a tag over paying at the toll booths?
ski holidays
@Gordyjh, no. There's a financial disadvantage, though it's small.
snow report
There is always the convenience of avoiding the huge labour of shoving a credit card out of the window (or the huger labour of walking round the car if you're alone in a RHD car). And sometimes there's a time advantage if queues for other lanes are longer and you can whizz through the fast lane without stopping. But at really busy times, when the queues stretch well back you still have to wait. And, of course, once everyone is paying without any physical contact at the gate, we'll all be equal again! Tolls on most French journeys are well spaced out - the Turin ring road is an annoying exception!
snow report
@Origen, thanks, I’d always wondered!
ski holidays
Gordyjh wrote:
Is there any financial advantage in using a tag over paying at the toll booths?

Yes. Depending on how you use it there can be big reductions eg for frequent journeys on particular routes. There’s also random special offers at other times. See here for example. https://www.atmb.com/telepeage-tarifs/nos_abonnements_telepeage_atmb/

With my ATMB tag, it’s free for months I don’t use it, and free if I do more than 3 “passages” a month. That means it never costs me anything, so there’s no financial disadvantage.

You can link it to a wise account, to avoid bank fees as well.
ski holidays
With a tag there’s the fun to be had when you’re tailgated on the approach to a left-hand 30Kph lane - usually by a UK Bentley, Range Rover or BMW X5M - and then they have to brake/swerve as they realise you have a tag and they don’t. I never understand why someone with an £80+K car wouldn’t also have a tag as well, but there you are.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy