Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Air lines/Airports

Poster: A snowHead
So we’ve decided on Montgenèvre for our second family ski trip next March, and chosen Napoléon Residence to stay in.
When going to book (through Heidi who were great for the first trip) we can either fly Ryanair to Turin, or our preferred airline, Jet2 into Grenoble, and back from Chambery. We are limited from Stansted which is 15mins from us.
Now we are not seasoned flyers as we caravan the rest of the year so thought I would put it out there.
What’s the best option, Ryanair (terrible company) into what appears a decent airport with short transfer. Or Jet2 (good preferred company) into what appears bad airports, with slightly longer transfers. Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dpetchey, nothing wrong with Ryanair, I use them all the time from Stansted. Just make sure you double check everything before clicking to pay.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Dpetchey, nothing wrong with Ryanair, I use them all the time from Stansted. Just make sure you double check everything before clicking to pay.

That’s good to hear, all I hear and read is bad reviews of them! Do you know if you can take ski boots on as hand luggage?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm. Not a fan of Grenoble. Even less so for Chambery - where the queues to get through security can be beyond belief. I prefer going to Geneva or Lyon, and accepting the transfer time.I have never used Turin though, and will look at that as an option in future.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Turin is a lot easier and shorter transfer. Motorway from the airport to d'Oulx then short vally road to Cesana then up the mountain.
Grenoble is an endless and busy valley road with traffic to several other ski stationsn then the Lautaret pass (if its open) then down the valley to Briancon before climbing up the mountain.

How are you planning to transfer? If hiring a car,Turin also has more hire car options.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How are you planning to transfer? If hiring a car,Turin also has more hire car options.[/quote]

That’s some really good information.
We will use private transfers each way.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dpetchey wrote:
... That’s good to hear, all I hear and read is bad reviews of [Ryanair]! Do you know if you can take ski boots on as hand luggage?
Well if people are going to "post a review" of an airline it's going to be bad or good; most of us don't post reviews because all airlines are pretty much the same. Ryanair is no better or worse than others for that type of flight; I always pick by convenience; the other brands are similar. Ryan air is yellow and blue, and the other one is orange, that's the main difference. Other than the mix of to/from airports, which is usually the clincher.

I travel with my boots in the cabin, but for a non-stop flight the baggage risk is less than for more complex flights.
Hold baggage, well my snowboards at least, go astray a few percent of flights, but the risk goes up a lot with more complex trips.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haven't used Ryanair but have used Turin airport for Via Lattea resorts. Very convenient and would be my recommendation.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dpetchey wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

That’s good to hear, all I hear and read is bad reviews of them! Do you know if you can take ski boots on as hand luggage?

Yes, I carry mine in a wheelie case but you need priority to get that in addition to a handbag
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@phil_w, I have found Ryanair to universally be an unpleasant experience, to a degree that I will fly anyone (pretty much) else unless no option.

Whereas I find Easyjet to universally be very pleasant. And it's not like we fly once a year - more like every couple of weeks.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Regarding stanstead. Have a wee chat with someone at checkin and ask what gates Ryanair normally fly from. Buy something from a shop to eat and head there so you get a seat. RAir normally call you up to the gate before the plane has even landed so you can be standing about for an hour if you don’t get a seat.

I’m not sure if RA have seat allocation if you have a child with you. However if taking boots on as cabin bag it may be worth while one of you standing in the queue to make sure they are in the overhead.

I normally don’t queue but wait until
The end and just grab the first seat. However, since the flight is probably cheap it may be worth while paying for a seat.

In the past when flying from stanstead the security queue was crazy so it was worth while paying for fast track. However I’ve heard so many do this at stanstead these days that it isn’t worth it now and fast track takes the same time as the normal queue.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would pick Ryanair to Turin over any airline to Chambery. Ryanair are actually OK so long as you follow their rules (e.g. luggage allowance/size + print boarding pass and/or use the app). In fact, they are one of the most punctual airlines.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GlasgowCyclops, If they want to take boots as hand luggage they will have to buy priority boarding - they will get space in an overhead somewhere and a seat. I haven't bothered with fast track at stansted for a couple of years, its been not too bad.

@under a new name, define "universally unpleasant" and "universally very pleasant". I find RA and EJ to be broadly similar
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dpetchey, definitely Turin.

BA also flies that route (albeit from Gatwick, not Stansted).

I’m with @under a new name, and avoid Ryanair. All airlines seem very similar but when something goes wrong, they differentiate themselves pretty fast. Ryanair will happily cancel a flight a few weeks before if the load factor isn’t enough, offer you an alternative that goes to an airport 100 miles away, and leave you with the bill to change your car rental. Having avoided Ryanair for over a decade since it last did this to me, we booked them this summer (as they were the only airline flying to our destination), to get exactly the same treatment again. I’m clearly cursed.

Edited coz of rubbish geography

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 27-07-24 14:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@HilbertSpace, me too. There are very few airports I actively dislike but Chambery is one. Even if everything goes ok it’s small and lacks facilities - but with it being in an often foggy valley things seem to not be ok quite often, and then it’s a flippin’ nightmare.
snow conditions
@snowdave, its never happened to me with ryanair. I booked early for Barcelona for my last trip, the flight was changed to different times on the same day but I chose better times, which were better than the original, and that was that. The last time I had a real issue was with EJ when the last flight out of Geneva was cancelled and it was chaos getting to a hotel after midnight with no way to get food, they then declared it was not their fault and wouldn't compensate, but I won that one.
ski holidays
Not a fan of Chambéry. It can close if the weather comes in. I won’t be the first SH who’s ended up being bussed to a hotel (in Grenoble) for the night because of poor vis in Chambéry.
snow report
Definitely Turin over the others. Jet2 is usually a more pleasant flying experience, however, Ryanair will get you there fine. I had one pretty bad experience with Ryanair about 20 years ago and vowed never to use them, however, they are usually the most convenient and cheapest option from where I usually fly from to get back to the U.K. so started using them and I’ve not had any problems since.
snow report
Dpetchey wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Yes. We always have ski boots in hand luggage.
ski holidays
Agree with everyone else. Turin. Personally I'd always rent a car and Turin is cheap and very easy to get in and out of. No experience of transfers but it's bound to be cheaper than Grenoble. Which is not exactly an airport.....
latest report
@holidayloverxx, in my (admittedly, deliberately limited) experience of Ryanair, it felt like a hideously cheap experience. I did not feel like a “valued customer”.

Easyjet on the other hand is much more pleasant.
snow conditions
If Ryanair is the obvious way of going, as it is in this case, because the alternative goes to a much more distant and unreliable "airport" it would be cussed not to choose it.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@holidayloverxx, in my (admittedly, deliberately limited) experience of Ryanair, it felt like a hideously cheap experience. I did not feel like a “valued customer”.

Easyjet on the other hand is much more pleasant.

doesn't really describe why, but ok
snow conditions
I have no psychological need to feel like a "valued customer" of an airline. Just getting me there is fine. My worst airport delays and queues in years have been in Geneva. Last May with easyJet was the worst but I don't think it was easyjet's fault. Passport control was a disgrace.
snow report
@Origen, it was really that on the ? 4 occasions I've been on Ryanair I really felt unwelcome. Really unpleasant.

I men, sure, if it's the only route, well, suck it up, but not if avoidable.

Have I mentioned Wizzair?
snow conditions
I now equate getting on a short hop flight with getting a bus or a train. Get on, sit down and switch off. If someone who works on the method of transport is polite to me, great. If not, oh well.

I flew Jet2 last week and it very much felt like a flight for holiday makers - which it was for the majority of people. The staff were pleasant and jolly as a result. My last easyJet and Ryanair flights were very similar - they want you to get on quickly, get off quickly but leave you alone unless you want a sandwich - I’m quite fine with that.
snow conditions
@hammerite, +1. I totally think a short haul is like a bus..but with benefit of getting a seat
ski holidays
"bus" is also my attitude.

Not being snarky, but I can't imagine being "made to feel unwelcome". I guess I don't pay enough attention to stuff like that.

I flew wizz a few times. Same same. I honestly can't tell any of them apart other than be colour.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@phil_w, yep, want to feel welcome? Fly Virgin Upper
latest report
@holidayloverxx, If you ever need someone to carry your bags just PM! wink
ski holidays
@chocksaway, not these days sadly
latest report
Quote:

@phil_w, yep, want to feel welcome? Fly Virgin Upper

Do they do Birmingham to Geneva?
latest report
Having used Ryanair fairly recently I would say they have improved a bit. In the past they were truly terrible with nasty practices such as adding a fee at the last minute for actually paying them these have now dissappeared, but you have to accept that they will deliberately seat you away from other members of your family. We use them very little as they donot have many routes we would use (Easyjet has many flights a day from Birmingham to Geneva. Ryanair has none for example)

For a review of the budget airlines see https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/airlines/article/best-and-worst-budget-airlines-aaCmL0z5emGG

A more accurate review can be found at
http://youtube.com/v/ZAg0lUYHHFc
snow conditions
In fairness I haven’t flown Ryanair for years. Managed to hop around much of Europe for biz without needing to.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@chocksaway, not these days sadly

Don't you mean "gladly" as they made you so unwelcome? Puzzled
latest report
@Bergmeister, er I didn't say that. I've never felt unwelcome on any airline, but virgin upper are particularly good
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Bergmeister, er I didn't say that. I've never felt unwelcome on any airline, but virgin upper are particularly good

Oops! Apologies. I misread it when I was tired Embarassed .
snow report
Absolute no brainer, going with Turin over Chambery and Grenoble, even with Ryan Air.

I have many friends in Serre Che who travel with Ryan Air to Turin, and yes there have been nightmares, but so too with BA from Gatwick to Turin, such as cancelled flights at the last minute.

Turin is a proper airport and not something that just handles seasonal TO flights, and as such is fully staffed, from baggage handlers through to passport control etc

We use it all year round, and car rental as has been mentioned is good, but please check all the relevant docs are in the car, as a friend only a couple of months ago had an accident and there was nothing in her car, plus they send that they would email the contract and she never received it, which all meant a good few hours on the phone!
snow report
Because we can’t get direct to Turin from Scotland we’ve booked easyjet to Milan Malpensa. It’s to the west of Milan so not too much extra on journey time. Any suggestions for supermarket stop en route to Montgenevre ?
snow conditions
Gufo wrote:
Any suggestions for supermarket stop en route to Montgenevre ?

There are several big supermarkets just off the Autostrada round Turin.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy