Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seasonnaire jobs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi- Eldest son has just graduated from Uni and is waiting to complete selection for various proper jobs. Meanwhile he wants to do a ski season. Thanks to the gullibility of his father he's done a lot of skiing and is a very good telemarker, i.e has competed in a FIS World Cup. He has good language skills including French (spent a year of his engineering degree in France) also some Russian and a bit of Japanese, he's about to go to Japan to cycle for three months. Thanks to his grandmother he has UK and Irish citizenship. He wants to mostly ski tour.

Just about to have interviews with Crystal, Nielson (Europe) and Club Med (Japan).

He has no idea what jobs might suit him best. Nor where to go. I'd think Japan with Club Med would be amazing- but do the staff there get much free time / skiing. It seems that they have to help entertain the guests at night (no- not like that), but he also believes that the staff eat with the guests and he likes his grub.

Do the likes of Crystal etc give you a choice of where to go- he'd not be that happy with a really small place / out of the way, limited options to tour.

Like everyone he wants to know 'what's the best job to get the most skiing for the least work'? My suggestion was for him to do online tutoring for A-level students in the evenings! I think he'd make a fortune.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ed123, he doesn't have to just apply for big companies. If I tries to come up with a location he fancies, then find bars etc in the village, look for facebook groups, and he'll find a job no problem.

Best job for skiing is to not work! 2nd best job would be in a bar from 4pm onwards sort of set up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ed123, Jnr instructs so manages to ski and get paid all season. His mates who seem to work and ski a lot nearly all work in bars - daytime skiing/evening working. His other mates in resort don’t seem to get much time for skiing although he doesn’t work anywhere where there are tour operator chalet staff, only reps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've PMd you but will answer here as well

Does he want to put his skiing skills to use? Does he have qualifications?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ed123,
Good French. EU passport.
Choose a French resort & apply to British owned businesses there.
Jobs with plenty of mountain time:- nightclub staff. Bar/restaurant staff where place opens 3/4 pm. Weekend staff at kit hire shop.
Go for a resort with a long season to increase mountain time (some resorts can have a surprisingly short season).
Put himself on Facebook groups eg Tignes Seasonnaires 2024.
With a large UK tour operator the chances of choosing a country, never mind a resort, are slim for your 1st season. Avoid Club Med - too much of his time will be interacting with punters. Far better to have minimum punter facetime- by the end of the season he'll hate punters, no matter which TO he works for. Toofy Grin
What relevant work skills does he have?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 26-07-24 20:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
With an eu passport one is laughing all the way to the ski lift these days if one wants to work a season.

Some of the tour ops still run chalets or need reps... both jobs with plenty of ski time... great way to do a first season as everything is taken care of ... flights, accom, work, colleagues.... but you might not get a resort you want, especially first season, not to say that not going to a big well known resort is the end of the world... the smaller ones can also be great if you happen to meet the right people, but as someone else mentioned some places are getting shorter seasons.

Else pick a resort and find a job there, many do this in the popular resorts.... best job imo... evening dishy in a restaurant... ski all day and still time for a beer after work !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kenzie, ‘relevant work skills’. Hummmm.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The key is the EU passport which means he can work anywhere in the Alps, and with language skills as well employers will be biting his hand off.

My advice is to stay well away from the British Tour Operators, who will squeeze every ounce of energy from him for very little reward. As others have already said, the ideal jobs are the afternoon/evening jobs - server, dishpig, barman etc. working something like 4pm until midnight - so if he gets himself out of bed he can ski for most of the day. He should also be able to get staff accommodation. If he also speaks some German, most hotel and bar jobs in Austria come with decent staff accommodation and good wages.

Or he could instruct - take the Austrian Anwarter course on Kitzsteinhorn in early December and spend the rest of the season on skis. Apart from Christmas/New Year and February half-term, both of which are insanely busy, there is usually time in January and March for a few days off each week to go and do your own thing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ed123, "It seems that they have to help entertain the guests at night (no- not like that)"

Hmmm, when I did my seasons, yes, it was exactly like that Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ed123 wrote:
@Kenzie, ‘relevant work skills’. Hummmm.

One feature of working ski seasons is that one of the (if not THE) busiest periods is early - Xmas & NY. For some jobs Xmas week can actually be the first week with guests. Therefore little or no time to learn on the job.

What type of roles is he applying for with the TOs?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ed123, If he is offered a role at all, be thankfull. There are always way more applicants than vacancies so if he is offered. he's doing well & don't be 'picky'
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.tignes-spirit.com/news/story/379?fbclid=IwY2xjawESAsxleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHaMc7ipY1z_Vxu6lS5Tp6WlKrcqGyNN-Yg7EQs8C1XI14yQxuOhgdU2FZA_aem_vAFgN62gl40o89HshuOK-Q

Here's an example of a role they could look at
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Send him over to Nz. Easy to do a season on a working holiday visa if he’s under 30. Best bit is it’s in Uk summer, so can do back to back or get euro winter off or whatever

Instructor quals would make it easy, but hospitality or admin work is also easy with good English and half a brain.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seem to be lots of bar jobs in Chamonix.

Also, @CH20, SOLE Bootlab are recruiting, https://www.facebook.com/SOLEbootlab
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ed123, What kind of engineering is his degree in and does he want to use it longer term?

There are small and medium firms all along the Arve valley, I think davidof will know the job situation for Grenoble and maybe Lyon.
snow report
@ed123,
Season jobs can broadly be split into two types:-
1) UK tour operator. These roles usually provide some or all of:- transfer to & from resort, accommodation, food, insurance, lift pass, kit hire, staff uniform and some money.
2) Local business. The money would be much better, but the other things above would probably not be part of the package, though it depends on the role & employer.

With an EU passport and ability in French he should concentrate on tour operators who specialize in French resorts, as not needing a working visa would be a huge advantage in their eyes.
If going down the local business route he should be aware that finding accommodation (if not offered with the job) can be a major problem.
ski holidays
Last season I know one restaurant in Cham was offering €1,600net+accom+3square meals for a plongeur.

Long late hours mind you.
ski holidays
@rjs, the engineering job market is a bit tighter than just after covid but it should still be possible to find work. Linkedin is probably the best bet.
ski holidays
The popular Goasstall Bar in Hinterglemm is offering €2,000 net per month, plus accommodation and food and a share of the tips, for an "Abwasher" - i.e. plongeur/washer-up. The rate for experienced bar and kitchen staff is €2,300 - €2,400 net plus the extras. Health insurance is also included. Resort staff pay a reduced rate for a season ski pass. No need to rent skis etc. - over a season it's cheaper to buy (and a friendly shop might well sell a full set of last season's ex-rental kit for less than €300).

So that just leaves the flights and transfer (£200-ish?) and winter sports insurance (£50 with Austrian Alpine Club) to fund.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Last season I know one restaurant in Cham was offering €1,600net+accom+3square meals for a plongeur.

Long late hours mind you.

Christ

Where do I sign up?
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, desperate shortage of seasonal staff.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Mike Pow, desperate shortage of seasonal staff.

EU right of work though?
ski holidays
I did this for an Aussie ski site. It's nowhere near comprehensive, but may help some people. https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/a-brief-guide-to-working-a-ski-season-in-europe-including-job-leads.94086/
snow report
That's an unbelievable piece of work

Chapeau
snow report
@Mike Pow, yeah. I know one uk based girl who got a bar job with a visa but many employers can't be bothered with the admin.
snow report
quinton wrote:
The popular Goasstall Bar in Hinterglemm is offering €2,000 net per month, plus accommodation and food and a share of the tips, for an "Abwasher" - i.e. plongeur/washer-up. The rate for experienced bar and kitchen staff is €2,300 - €2,400 net plus the extras. Health insurance is also included. Resort staff pay a reduced rate for a season ski pass. No need to rent skis etc. - over a season it's cheaper to buy (and a friendly shop might well sell a full set of last season's ex-rental kit for less than €300).

So that just leaves the flights and transfer (£200-ish?) and winter sports insurance (£50 with Austrian Alpine Club) to fund.

Wow, they really are! https://www.goasstall.com

That's a great deal for anyone who can speak good enough German. By the time you factor the value of everything in that's probably around €5k netto/month, but even the base rate is significantly more than most of the ski instructors will be earning there. I think it was around ~€1k/month when I was instructing in Saalbach, though admittedly that was 10 years ago now.
snow report
swskier wrote:
https://www.tignes-spirit.com/news/story/379?fbclid=IwY2xjawESAsxleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHaMc7ipY1z_Vxu6lS5Tp6WlKrcqGyNN-Yg7EQs8C1XI14yQxuOhgdU2FZA_aem_vAFgN62gl40o89HshuOK-Q

Here's an example of a role they could look at

Saw this today on Facebook group page - see accommodation is still the problem:-

"Hey guys, I’m looking for accom in Lavachet for next season.
I’ll be working at Tignes Spirit.
I’m 24 and am keen to keep the place in decent nick, so would be good to live with people similar in that regard.
Let me know if you or anyone you know might be looking for flatmates/have space."
ski holidays
@clarky999, The evahotel on the main street in Saalbach is advertising for an Abwascher for the winter season. OK, it's a full-time job so not too much time for skiing, but the advertised wage .... "2.489,62 EUR brutto pro Monat auf Basis Vollzeitbeschäftigung" (plus room and meals and extra payment for overtime).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, instructing isn't much more than that now! In Mayrhofen I was offered €16 p/h brutto to do some weekend work as a L2. The OH worked with some instructors during Snowbombing who were taking home around the €1200 per month.

In the restaurant the OH was in it was c.€1900 netto plus tips, so probably around the €2500 mark most months.
snow conditions
quinton wrote:
@clarky999, The evahotel on the main street in Saalbach is advertising for an Abwascher for the winter season. OK, it's a full-time job so not too much time for skiing, but the advertised wage .... "2.489,62 EUR brutto pro Monat auf Basis Vollzeitbeschäftigung" (plus room and meals and extra payment for overtime).

That's €1856 netto, so definitely better off going up the valley to the Goassstall!

swskier yeah didn't think the instructing rate would have changed too much haha! Cool uniforms though wink
snow report
@rjs, aerospace / nuclear. He's applying to join the forces mind you.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@ed123, "It seems that they have to help entertain the guests at night (no- not like that)"

Hmmm, when I did my seasons, yes, it was exactly like that Twisted Evil
naughty boy
ski holidays
quinton wrote:

I think AAC insurance only covers trips of 8 weeks or less- although is it diffreent in Austria?
latest report
Apparently Club Med also have a job as a sommelier.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:

swskier yeah didn't think the instructing rate would have changed too much haha! Cool uniforms though wink

Perfect for a single male I suppose!? No use for me Laughing
snow report
@ed123,
Should have added, if he tries the 'choose a resort(s) he fancies & apply to local (especially Brit owned, pimping that EU passport) businesses' then his asking on the revelant resort threads in the Snow Reports forum may get him leads.
latest report
@swskier, Your local ski school was pulling your leg. Job ads for the coming season are offering new Anwarters €1,600 - €1,700 a month (gross) or €20 an hour. L2/Landes 1 and above can command more, as can the experienced and popular instructors who return year after year.

@ed123, Membership of the local AAC branch (in Austria) is annual cover for alpine activities. Alternatively, for about the same fee the local ski club membership also provides winter sports cover.

Anyone with an EU passport, language skills and half a brain should be able to get a better job, more skiing time and earn much more than they would if they worked for a UK Tour Operator - although the TOs have also been forced to up their game in terms of accommodation, wages and conditions since Brexit. The available pool of labour has shrunk considerably (e.g. Inghams are stating that ALL their European jobs require an EU passport or the right to work in the EU) so the days of TOs paying gap-yah reps £80 a week plus a shitty shared room seem thankfully to have gone.

@Kenzie, wrote their guide for an Australian website. Ironically, young Australians can get a Working Holiday Visa to work in Austria - so they are better placed to find work in Austria than young Brits are.
snow conditions
@quinton, a L2 is recognised as an Anwärter no? Anyway, I didn't do the work as it happens due to visa restrictions, but still, a lot more money to be made on the mountain not teaching. From what i've heard from locals I race trained with last season there's no increase in pay from Landeslehrer to Diplomskilehrer.

Anyway, kind of besides the point for the OP, albeit interesting to know.
ski holidays
quinton wrote:
The available pool of labour has shrunk considerably (e.g. Inghams are stating that ALL their European jobs require an EU passport or the right to work in the EU) so the days of TOs paying gap-yah reps £80 a week plus a shitty shared room seem thankfully to have gone.

So one of the many Brexit benefits, I'll get on the phone to Nigel, Jacob and Gerry immediately. I see a letter to The Telegraph.
latest report
quinton wrote:
so the days of TOs paying gap-yah reps £80 a week plus a shitty shared room seem thankfully to have gone.

I had 2 fantastic seasons on £40 a week (plus tips) although I had my own room. Tips not insignificant, had a ball, bought new boots twice and skis once, cme home with more money than I went out with. (it was late 80s early 90s though). But it was not necessarily a hideous employment model.

I skied 5-6 days a week (albeit usually 5 days with guests, but most were a lot of fun and quite a few could ski pretty well)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy