Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wildfires force 25,000 to evacuate Jasper resort in Rockies

Poster: A snowHead
Buildings in the Canadian tourist town of Jasper have been burning after wildfires forced 25,000 people to evacuate the area on Tuesday, officials said.

The blaze has spread through Jasper National Park, causing "significant loss" within the town, according to park officials on X, external, formerly Twitter.

Hundreds of wildfires have sparked in the western provinces of Alberta and British Columbia (BC). The region has been hit by more than 58,000 lightning strikes within the last week, sparking new blazes after a three-week heat wave, according to BC Wildfire Service.

Around 1,900 Alberta firefighters have been deployed, assisted by personnel from Alaska and Australia, and are working to save local infrastructure.

Fires were first reported in Jasper last week. The town's mayor, Richard Ireland, told CBC that the town was facing its "worst nightmare".

Jasper National Park said on X that "air quality had deteriorated" in the area. The park is the largest national park in the Canadian Rockies.

After evacuations were issued, Alberta Premier Danielle Smith told residents to "leave safely" on Wednesday. In a post on Facebook, she said she was in "constant contact" with the authorities.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his government has approved a request for federal assistance for Alberta.

I've visited Jasper twice, once in Summer and again in winter (although I didn't get to ski there at Marmot Basin ).

The fires sound horrendous, my best wishes go to the inhabitants of Jasper and the surrounding area.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Alastair Pink, Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fire map
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's pretty grim. Hard to overstate how isolated the town is. Hope there is enough air capacity to evacuate all those left if they do lose the battle. Revise those bookings for Marmot Basin next winter.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
StepD is putting up a family of friends, who had to be evacuated from Jasper, at their house in Kamloops. They are fairly certain their house will be on fire by now. It’s heartbreaking.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's hard to imagine how bad that must be. I've seen what it's like afterwards, and how it smells, but having your house in that is a different level of bad.

At this time of year the tourist trade's going to be hurting too - the whole of that section across from Tête Jaune is closed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've always thought of BC/Rockies as being reasonably wet but clearly not this year. (I know there is debate about the Okanagan temperate desert). A reason to celebrate UK grey summers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I've always thought of BC/Rockies as being reasonably wet but clearly not this year. (I know there is debate about the Okanagan temperate desert). A reason to celebrate UK grey summers.

BC maybe wet, not the Rockies.

It’s got to do with the temperature rises. What used to be occasional small and localized fires can turn into big ones when it gets warmer long enough.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grim news. We were there this equivalent week two years ago - driven up from Calgary and Banff, spent time in the national park and then boarded the Rocky Mountaineer this equivalent day.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Places like Ashcroft & Cache creek have always been horribly hot and dry in summer when I've been there. Too hot to be outside, even before climate change.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
'Monster' fires may have destroyed half of historic Canadian town

Huge, fast-moving wildfires have destroyed up to half of the historic Canadian town of Jasper, officials say, and the blazes are still out of control as firefighters try to save as many buildings as possible.

Entire streets of the main town in western Canada's Jasper National Park have been levelled by the fire, with video showing smouldering rubble where homes once stood and the charred remains of cars.

Devastating. Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Terrible news
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They are mightily relieved to find out their house is still standing. Lots of folk don’t have a house anymore though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dode wrote:
They are mightily relieved to find out their house is still standing. Lots of folk don’t have a house anymore though.

Good news for them, sadly as you say many of their neighbours in Jasper won't be so fortunate. Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I see the temperature has dropped and there could be some rain tonight.

I was speaking to a mate of mine who has skin in the game, Although he lives in Wiltshire he has a holiday home just outside Golden (Kicking Horse)

He told he had an alert yesterday for the threat of forest fires around Golden.

They have suffered very high temperatures recently.

One can only pray for those people.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:

The region has been hit by more than 58,000 lightning strikes within the last week

Aside from all the horror of forest fires… that is an amazing number.

Portugal suffered badly several years ago with many burned as they tried to escape a village. Someone then created an app fed by the emergency services (they are volunteers) plotting basic details onto open street map. I can now see fire location, and number of people, vehicles and aerial support involved.

Friend of mine had one large fire consuming the wasteland near his new house last week. He got away with it but living away from town has its disadvantages. I don’t know if he’ll try to cut a firebreak for future.
snow report
Half the town is smoked.

Jasper Fairmont Lodge got singed.

The worst hit is the wildlife. Bears, lynx, mountain goats, etc. Thousands will be toast.

ski holidays
Awful - but it's good to know no deaths have been reported - let's hope that it stays that way. Credit to those who oversaw an orderly evacuation.
ski holidays
Having visited Jasper and surrounding areas I can only echo the sentiments already shared by other snowHeads. Sad

Hope all the inhabitants remain safe and that a major long term rebuild operation ensues. Must be devastating for the diverse wildlife and natural environment.
snow conditions
Global temperature rise is clearly a factor - the Alberta premier does not believe in it! Other part is the suppression of fires over many years means more fuel than there should be Eh oh!
Best wishes to all involved.
latest report
Awful news, we were there last September for a bit of cycling and general touring about in a camper van. When we went up on the Jasper Skytram the lift guy remarked that the wild fire smoke smell had only just cleared in the past few weeks. Seems much worse this year.
snow report
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c9wv2902y98o
ski holidays
It would appear that a truly unprecedented lightning event combined with fire practices which are not universally supported conspired to create a one in a generation / recorded history event

Statistically the number of wildfires across N America has reduced year on year
latest report
An awful glimpse of what's to come, I suspect. So many parts of the world heading towards being uninhabitable. Sad
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
... Statistically the number of wildfires across N America has reduced year on year
We'd all love that to be true, but a quick google suggests it's not:
https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-wildfires
https://www.nifc.gov/fire-information/statistics/wildfires
https://sgp.fas.org/crs/misc/IF10244.pdf
https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/wildfires/

What "statistics" are you talking about, precisely? If you can provide a reference we can work out how they're misrepresenting what is after all public data.

I pulled those up as the top results off Duck Duck Go, no filtering, but every one of them contradicts your data, and your conclusion.
ski holidays
@phil_w, thanks for doing the legwork.
ski holidays
"Statistics" are only useful as a guide.

If, in the past they may have recorded 15-20 small fires over a few weeks, but now they have one big fire in one week(as seems to be the case in recent years), the Stats soon become useless.

The bigger fires are much more difficult to get under control, and often result in much greater overall damage than the smaller ones.
ski holidays
motdoc wrote:
Global temperature rise is clearly a factor

Eh? In what way is this clear? I mean, I'm not saying it's not true, but it's far from self-evident AFAICT.
motdoc wrote:
the Alberta premier does not believe in it

Which belief won't be changed much by people making claims with nothing to back them up, like you just did.

Anyway, yes, it's sad to see. We spent Christmas week there one time, which was memorable for not necessarily the right reasons, notably that from xmas eve afternoon everything was shut. Shops, bars and restaurants. One pizza place only was open until 730 We were staying in the central hotel/pub, looking forward to a party evening, only to find that not only was it shut, there was only one night-porter on duty n the whole place. Late afternoon a bunch of tourists doing the CP railroad arrived, only to be confronted with a town where they were unable to get anything to eat and drink. We shared our meagre drinks supply, which we'd bought earlier that day having been forewarned, with a group of four or five of them, sitting in the closed bar with lights turned off. Was all a bit surreal.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Origen wrote:
An awful glimpse of what's to come, I suspect. So many parts of the world heading towards being uninhabitable. Sad

Was recently in Vegas.

Temps were nudging +50c / +122f.

Around 1 million people are living there quite happily.

No problems at all.

Just turnup the aircon.

The average worldwide temp is +17c / +63f.

That's chilly.

Plenty of headroom left for the world to get hotter.
latest report
Much firewood lying round outside Vegas? Thought not.

@Chaletbeauroc, Go outside when it’s wet and cold, try to start a fire. Then go outside when it’s hot and dry. Consider the difference. Then get back under your bridge and enjoy the shade.
snow report
phil_w wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
... Statistically the number of wildfires across N America has reduced year on year
We'd all love that to be true, but a quick google suggests it's not:
https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-wildfires
https://www.nifc.gov/fire-information/statistics/wildfires
https://sgp.fas.org/crs/misc/IF10244.pdf
https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/wildfires/

What "statistics" are you talking about, precisely? If you can provide a reference we can work out how they're misrepresenting what is after all public data.

I pulled those up as the top results off Duck Duck Go, no filtering, but every one of them contradicts your data, and your conclusion.

This is the one I came across

Far from clear IMHO

Table 1 says more fires but less acres burned

The accompanying text says the opposite

https://www.dryad.net/post/wildfires-usa-statistics#viewer-1sfcq

And in the first link you provided it stated that 75% of the fires are started by humans

So whilst the fuel can certainly be drier and more flammable because of rising temperatures and lower rainfall, the 'heat' is overwhelmingly introduced into the 'fire triangle' by the actions of humans, both deliberate and accidental.
latest report
An interesting read and an alternative to current practices

We’re in a deadly cycle of mega fires. The way out is to burn more.

How one Karuk fire crew leader is decolonizing our relationship to fire.

https://www.vox.com/climate/366765/megafires-climate-indigenous-controlled-burns?utm_medium=10today.us.thu.rd.20240815.436.2&utm_source=email&utm_content=article&utm_campaign=email-2022
snow report
Fire breaks have long been recognised in many places. It's not just "indigenous wisdom" though that's a fashionable notion at the moment. In parts of Australia, for example, the obligation maintain fire breaks is a legal one for property owners, with serious sanctions. That's for prevention, but lighting deliberate "back fires" is also, I believe, one of the techniques of fighting wild fires, needing good judgement!
snow conditions
Origen wrote:
Fire breaks have long been recognised in many places. It's not just "indigenous wisdom" though that's a fashionable notion at the moment. In parts of Australia, for example, the obligation maintain fire breaks is a legal one for property owners, with serious sanctions. That's for prevention, but lighting deliberate "back fires" is also, I believe, one of the techniques of fighting wild fires, needing good judgement!

Correct

But they've become very unfashionable / toxic in the US
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy