Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Klosters to Ortisei train/bus help please

Poster: A snowHead
I have the opportunity to do a week in Ortisei straight after one in Klosters next season. It looks like a combination of trains and connecting buses, taking 5-6 hours. Train from Klosters to Zernez, then bus to Mals, then train to Waidbruck/Ponte Gardena with a change at Merano and via Bolzano and finally a bus to Ortisei.
Was wondering whether anyone knew Zernez or Waidbruck/Ponte Gardena and could tell me how easy it is to spot where the bus stop is when arriving by train. I will probably only have 5 minutes or so for the transfer at each stop and don't want to miss the connection.

EDIT:
I can see that there is an alternative just using trains via Landquart and Innsbruch which goes as far as Chiusa before you need to get a bus. Two questions about this option:
Can you get through-tickets on Swiss rail cross border or do I need to get individual tickets for each leg of the journey? Would it be easy to get a taxi in Chiusa for the last leg (looks like the buses are infrequent)
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DCG, generally, you should think of your tickets as “transport” tickets rather than “train” or “bus” tickets, though that it complicated by your border crossings. Yes, you can book through on the trains with one operator, just check carefully that you are definitely getting the full journey, because some sections can be excluded on certain routes. It is worth comparing the journey on Swiss rail (SBB) and also Austrian rail (OEBB), as the prices can vary. Sometimes the bus can be included on the same ticket, so it’s worth adding that too, otherwise pay on the day for buses.

I would go via Innsbruck. Once you reach the Inn valley, that is a main line with regular services, same for the Brenner line. They would only be affected by weather if it is especially snowy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DCG, at Zernez it’s really straightforward and obvious when you get there. 5 minutes will be plenty for that transfer. Not a big station/ bus station.

While I take @Scarlet’s point about routing via Innsbruck, I’d be tempted to go with the Engadine route - v scenic and much more interesting than via Inn.

In CH at least there’s no way the bus wouldn’t wait for the train were it delayed (which is pretty unlikely). I’d expect the buses would also wait in sudtirol too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Inboard, while I’m sure Engadine is very beautiful, I would hardly say the Inntal was lacking in scenery!

And yes, Swiss public transport is very good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hire a car? It's only a 3.5hr drive.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, indeed and I’m very fond of it. But the route via Zernez would be much more fun and off the beaten track (while still being sensibly doable)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet, @Inboard, Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I am tempted by the Engadine route. Presumably the bus routes remain open in winter - it looks like it is mostly in valleys.

@Mollerski, That's not a bad idea. could return the hire car to Klosters at the end of the week and then get a train to Zurich. But where to hire a car from in Klosters? Not sure that's possible.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DCG, there is car hire in Davos if you can get there
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:

Thanks for that.
I had tried searching there but the only place I could find seemed to be closed at weekends. Do you know the name of the place?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have been to Zernez and am pretty sure the buses go from just outside the station - as they do from most stations in Switzerland (though Chur caught us out, you have to go up a level). I don't know whether the bus over the pass to Mals will be a coordinated service.

I am pretty sure the Rhaetische Bahn continues along the valley to Scuol, and it seems likely there would be buses onward from there in the direction of Innsbruck. And thence the train over the Brenner pass.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
j b wrote:
I don't know whether the bus over the pass to Mals will be a coordinated service.

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't spotted that there was a pass on that bus route. Do you think it is low enough to remain open through the winter?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DCG wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Thanks for that.
I had tried searching there but the only place I could find seemed to be closed at weekends. Do you know the name of the place?

No sorry, I just googled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I believe the Zernez-Mals bus runs every two hours in winter, but you can check on the SBB app/ website.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DCG wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I hadn't spotted that there was a pass on that bus route. Do you think it is low enough to remain open through the winter?

According to my road map it is at over 2000 m, so it may not. But maybe the bus doesn't go that shorter route, it could follow the road down the Inn via Scuol into Austria and then another to Italy which looks as if the highest point is around 1500 m.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@j b, Thanks. I'll investigate further
snow report
My parents use that bus in the winter as they snowshoe in the Val Mustair (which is the other side of the Ofenpass from Zernez and on the route of the Mals bus). I’m sure that in bad weather with heavy snowfall, there is a risk of the Ofenpass being closed. But i’m not aware of how frequently that happens (i don’t recall them getting stuck). Can ask my father.

The postbus stop is right next to the station platforms at Zernez and i would expect the postbus to wait if the train is running late (i was in the Engadin last week and a different post bus even waited 20 minutes to connect with a late running train that i was on).
latest report
The Inn valley train route is a long journey, Klosters to Landquart, Landquart to Buchs, Buchs to Innsbruck (only once every two hours), Innsbruck to Brenner, Brenner to Waidbruck (there is the occasional direct one from Innsbruck). Given that there are Klosters to Zernez trains that seems easier (though both trips are long) as at least when you get to Mals you are in Südtirol and there are likely to be options to get at least as far as Bözen.

I would assume there will be 7 day car hire places in Chur if not Landquart though Davos would be easier. St Moritz might be an option too.
latest report
@JaneHelen, @munich_irish, Thanks both for the helpful input.
ski holidays
*Ofenpass is open in winter. But dependent on weather of course
*a 5 minute transfer time: way too optimistic to depend on that. Especially in the mountains, in winter
*if its snowing, buses and possibly trains will most likely have delays, even in valleys
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy