Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl or Serfaus mid march: how busy is it

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Having been for 3 years to Les 3 Vallees my wife is keen on trying something new in Austria
Ive narrowed down the search to Ischgl/Serfaus, with a slight preference for Ischgl based on the reports i have read

Im just worried about long queues in the mornings and pistes full of people

Is it really an issue, or should we be fine middle of march ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ischgl does have a reputation for queues at the gondolas in the mornings. Whether that would be true in the middle of March impossible to say too many variables. The lift system (like most Austrian areas) is very efficient and that tends to keep queuing to a minimum though inevitably there are pinch points. An efficient lift system gets more people on the pistes and yes there can be crowds especially if snow or weather conditions are poor. Not sure that is any worse in Austria than in France. Austria does seem to have less of an issue with "half term" than France. The French resorts attract a very high percentage of French skiers so Parisian holiday week is very busy. Visitors to Austria tend to come from a wider variety of countries so it has a more spread out and longer "high season", usually beginning of February to middle of March, New Year week usually the busiest.

Both Ischgl & Serfaus are big enough that even peak season there will be quieter areas even if the home runs can get crowded come mid afternoon.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Visitors to Ischgl would do well to remember that there are three gondolas from the town. The big one (Silvrettabahn) gets busy, but if you stay nearer to the other two or are prepared for a slightly longer walk, the queues are usually minimal. You can also use the Dorftunnel travelator to move quickly through the town centre.

There are a few lifts on the mountain that get busy, but all lifts in Ischgl are incredibly efficient and modern, and if you don't want to wait, there is normally at least one alternative route as the lift network is very dense compared to many other areas.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree that the Ischgl lift system is excellent and when you get up to the top of the main gondolas the area spreads out very well on fast, efficient, modern chairlifts. So you should be fine once you are up.

Samnaun side tends to be quieter but the Ischgl side lifts are newer and better.

The busiest runs (other than the home runs) are likely to be the blue runs on the Ischgl side (B lifts) so if you want quieter blues you could head over to the Samnaun side (N lifts). If you are interested in the more challenging runs then the edges of the ski area are probably best (D & E lifts Ischgl side and M lifts Samnaun side).

We went in mid April and it was very quiet. It would be busier mid March but with a bit of daily planning you should be able to get up the first gondola ok.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have skied Ischgl a few times mid March (heading back next winter Very Happy )and queues are minimal. Different areas are quiet at different times of the day.
Snag is it's not always the same time each day rolling eyes
We have had waits at the Silvrettabahn in the morning when we were staying nearest it but I cant think it was more than ten minutes. As Scarlet says if the que looks bad its a short walk to the Dorf tunnell to get you to the other lifts,
Never made it to Serfaus so no idea how it compares
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The week from March 1 to 8 will be quite busy due to Carnival Week, whether in SFL (St. Anton, St. Christoph, and Stuben) or Ischgl.

Ischgl is a more compact ski resort. Although the ski maps might make them appear almost the same size, traveling from one side to the other is easier in Ischgl. In SFL, it requires more time to get across.

I believe, though I’m not entirely sure, that you might find some less crowded areas in SFL. However, according to German forums, SFL tends to be busy throughout most of the season, except for April and the first week of December.

The lift system in SFL is also considered one of the best in Austria. Please keep in mind that SFL is a family-oriented ski resort.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We (group of 8 "lads" in their fifties/sixties) visited Fiss las year in January, busy, but not much queing. First visit for us and I'm returning January with the wife it was so good. I reckon staying in Fiss is better than Serfuas unless you need a bigger range of bars. Can recommend the Hotel Belmont, reasonably priced and close to uplift. HB option taken at related hotel.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We stayed next to the Pardatschgratbahn (A2) in Ischgl March 16 to 23 this year and on sunny days the queues were long not long after opening, on those days we walked up to the Fimbabahn (A3) and always walked straight on. On snowy days both had no queues.
I think the Silvrettabahn is probably the busiest from the village, didn't need to try it this year.
There can be pinch points in other parts of the resort, but nothing too bad.

Serfaus is very busy during Karnival week, the Dutch love it apparently. George bar (Dutch owned) on Karnival weekend has one of the best atmospheres I've felt in Austrian bar.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for George. Serfaus is very popular with the Dutch and the apres ski is Dutch flavoured. Despite large numbers of visitors Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis has a mountain area to cope. Excellent intermediate skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can't speak for Serfaus but done lots of March trips to Ischgl and the first half of the month is busy but not over-busy but the later half can be too quiet (for the apres party to really kick off).

You do get lift queues - but they are generally predictable and avoidable.
The Silvretta and Pardatch gondolas are bit, new, and fast so draw the crowds - and leave the slightly older (for Ischgl), slightly slower Fimba pretty much walk up/walk on. And not like it's a hike - a 5 min walk/travelator ride from each of the others.

Up the top there's a paired chair lift station a short drop down from Idalp, where 2 of the gondolas come out and those get queues first thing/after lunch...but don't follow the flock and ski past that and you'll soon find only short/no queue chairs and can work around the ski area from there just as easily.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy