Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing conditioning

Poster: A snowHead
I do leg blasters at least three times a week all year round. 5 sets of 20 squats, 20 lunges, 20 jumping lunges, 10 jumping squats, with 20s break in between. I don't find them particularly challenging anymore. I'm wondering if I should up the number of sets (say do 10 sets instead of 5) or increase the intensity (e.g. using weights instead of body weights) or increase the frequency (e.g. do it every day).

I'm trying to get ready for the coming seasons. In the past I noticed no matter what I did, I would still be knackered after the first day of skiing. So I'm trying see if there's anything I could do to up my fitness level.

ps I also play tennis (twice a week) and cycle to work (5 miles each way - twice a week)) and lift weights (two to three times a week).
pps I telemark (if that matters)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You sound considerably fitter than myself. As you seem to be knackered regardless, I would suggest that you might not be flexing your ankles enough, thereby needing to use your thigh muscles all the time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
freethemind, Have you tried slowing down each rep of the leg blasters ? Eccentric exercises performed slowly, build strength. Madeye-Smiley

Also as joffy69, says maybe look to your technique too ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@freethemind, yeah, I’m with @joffy69, you’re doing something else wrong …
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it only after the first day that you're knackered, or is it all week?

You could introduce Rowing, Cycling and using a Cross-Trainer - if have access to a gym. If you don't want to join a gym, then jogging (especially uphill) and cycling if have a bicycle.

Certainly, having the wrong stance can cause thigh fatigue - as can wrongly set up boots or overly tight calf muscles.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all. Yea agreed my technique could be better. I think I tend to brake too much when I tele as I don't feel as confident as I'm skiing.

It normally happens only on the first day then it gets better the rest of the week. Having said that I still won't be able to tele all day (whereas I'd be able to ski all day from first lift till last lift without too big of an issue). Typically (after the first day that is) I'd be able to drop my knee all morning then starts to get tired in the afternoon and have to ski parallel.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@joffy69, just to say, I edited my first post to remove "it's your technique" because I felt that it wasn't a very helpful remark.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@freethemind, haha I can ski a fairly long day on easier slopes - think Monterosa, not Chamonix - but maybe a couple of hours on teles ... maybe it's the free heel?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@freethemind, It sounds like you are doing lots of the right things.

I would consider:
Leg blasters - Increasing the reps from 20 to 30 to boost stamina.
Tennis - Hard to judge but you should be aiming to leave the court pretty tired if you are using it for fitness (I'm usually more broken after I play field hockey than after a gym session)
Cycling - Lower the cadence to build leg muscle.
Weights - Add a bit more leg focus to your workout with an aim to build capacity in the whole leg. Be careful not to neglect the hamstrings because if you loose muscle balance you'll be at more risk of knee injury.

There's quite a bit of general ski fitness info on this thread which may help:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=169122
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@freethemind, Where are you based? We could work on your tele technique here in the UK. Tele (IMV) should be less tiring than alpine!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski wrote:
, Where are you based? We could work on your tele technique here in the UK. Tele (IMV) should be less tiring than alpine!

Not IME, but that's almost certainly just that my telemark technique is much less developed than my fixed-heel skiing (rusty BASI 1 level as opposed to 3). I suspect that's true for a lot of part-time telemarkers, so yeah, working on technique could be very helpful.

@freethemind It does sound like it's not a fitness issue per se, but maybe as well as working on technique you need to develop more power. I'm no fitness guru but have noticed my leg muscles trying to diminish in recent years, and have an ongoing knee problem for which I'm putting off another surgery, so use weights very specifically to help that. Mainly squats and lunges with 60-80kg of weight. Also good for my back and core strength, which again helps to moderate other injury-related pains. Using weights also can help track improvements or reduction over time, which again, as age creeps up, might be a very useful indicator.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@freethemind, I do leg blasters in the weeks leading up to the start of the ski season. I do the same as you, except taking a 30 second rest between sets, but I do add weights. I'd typically start with just body weight, but I'll then use dumbbells, gradually increasing the weight up to 2 x 5 kg dumbbells. I try and do the leg blasters as fast as possible (aiming for just under 70 seconds per set)
I'll typically do leg blasters twice a week as part of a gym session. I'll also do a few weeks of plyometrics instead of leg blasters. I may do plyometrics first, or leg blasters.
In addition to the above I cycle a lot, and will have just finished the cyclocross race season, so aerobic fitness is already well covered

I also telemark, and doing the plyometrics and leg blasters make a major difference for knee stability (I'm lacking an ACL), and avoiding DOMS after skiing (though the DOMS after the first session of leg blasters is pretty intense)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would expect that being exhausted is be more about cardio than strength.

So discussing leg blasters that are strength work isn't necessarily going to help (though is still a GOOD THING).

Cycling is great for this, but 5 miles is what, 20min by bike, so relatively short cardio session. Even an hour of tennis is short compared to a days skiing.

So my suggestion would be if at all possible try and do some exercise that lasts longer - 3-4+ hours at low intensity because that is a lot closer to what you are doing skiing

Though even when I was actually fit (and ~20kg lighter than now Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ) the first days skiing was evil (and probably less nasty than prerry much every other day of the 3 weeks after (inc finishing with a weeks touring))
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I rode with some good Tele folk last season, both professionals who ride every day all season. Neither dropped their knees on the trickier stuff. They rode all day, but they didn't knee drop all the time, not even close. This in Heli terrain with very good skiers.

I think you may be just doing something quite hard. Ibuprofen for day 1, and don't worry about it?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I think you may be just doing something quite hard.

Tele is hard, but not physically hard. If you can be in the middle of the ski, and get back there when out of balance it doesn't need to be tiring. It was much harder on leather boots, but, especially with NTN much less effort now.
snow conditions
@ski, I'm based in London. I'm impressed you thought tele was less tiring than alpine. For me it's the other way round. I could ski all day without problems but I struggle to tele normally by mid afternoon. Conscious my tele technique is not as good as my alpine so there's definitely a bit of inefficiency there.

@phil_w, Yea I guess just that I tele doesn't mean I have to drop my knees all day. I'm not a tele purist in that sense and skiing parallel is a valid tele technique too. My desire to drop the knee for as long as possible is that I wanted to improve on my tele-skiing!

And thanks for all the advice. All very sensible. I used to play badminton in a club as well for a few hours during the weekend. Maybe I should pick that up again. In my mind that's a more vigorous activity than tennis!
snow report
@freethemind, Sent you a PM.
ski holidays
I've been reading the 'it's your technique' cobblers for years. Like, if you have perfect technique your legs will never ache. rolling eyes Three of my kids worked in industry in Switzerland for 6/7 years. Two as instructors, the other being an expert level freeride skier. All in their late 20s, they'd say that it would take 2 weeks minimum to 'break' their legs in at the beginning of each new season. I train legs x3 gym sessions per week, 50 weeks per year. My legs will burn on days one and two of the first trip of the season.
snow conditions
@Mollerski, all depends how hard you're skiing, but I have traditionally done sweet FA to prepare for a ski holiday (in fact I do very little exercise at all) and haven't had to complain about leg burn for years.

I do generally have a slightly more relaxed opening day, and of course I have aches, but proper though burn is mostly a thing of the last for me. That said, I do have fairly chunky thighs anyway, and have spent a lot of time cycling over the years (less so recently). But I'm not convinced leg strength is the be all and end all, I suspect flexibility is as much a part of the leg burn game.
ski holidays
@SnoodyMcFlude, It's a combination of muscle condition and lactic acid tolerance in my opinion. Also, as discussed at length before, a bolt upright slider style skier wouldn't put the quads to work in the same way that a more dynamically positioned carving technique would. Wait for the incoming on that one. wink
snow report
@Mollerski, not being a bolt upright skier, I don't know if they have leg burn or not Very Happy

Technique is definitely a factor though, and for me probably a defining factor. When my technique improved, my legs stopped burning. I haven't got any fitter in those years, so by elimination it must be the technique. To suggest that blaming technique is cobblers, is cobblers NehNeh I don't think it's the sole factor, but I do think it's more often the correct answer.
ski holidays
@Mollerski, I'm not the greatest skier, I think I have better than the avg punter technique (BASI Level 2). I'm 57 averagely fit and managed to do the Escapade in a day (7 hours moving time, around 90km skiing (140km total distance)) on my first day of a long weekend without any burning legs. Felt a little stiff the next day but skied fine. https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/2024/04/12/escapade-2024-regular-visitor-greg-complete-the-challenge/
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
@Mollerski, not being a bolt upright skier, I don't know if they have leg burn or not Very Happy

Technique is definitely a factor though, and for me probably a defining factor. When my technique improved, my legs stopped burning.

Well there's a thing. I've found the opposite to be the case. When I have the occasional lesson, I'm regularly told that my 'dynamic position' is perfect. Maybe it's just the years catching up? wink
I'm curious how would you describe your technique pre improvement to post? What changed?
snow conditions
@kitenski, That's remarkable. Well done. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Mollerski,
Quote:

Like, if you have perfect technique your legs will never ache.

They will ache! But... especially with tele, if you aren't optimally balanced over your feet you'll be using your quads to hold yourself up and you'll be fighting that extra tension in your legs every time you try to rotate your feet. Being in the back seat will mean you have to turn the ski instead of having the ski turn you, which again is extra effort.

I'll go for a more dynamic posture (which might be taller or shorter depending) when I want more performance from my skis -- so carving on piste (tele) I'll be taller which enables more lateral movement, whereas in bumps I'll be a little lower with a shorter lead change.

But it terms of skiing all day as a holiday skier, I don't think your legs should ache that much. I'm 60 and not that fit. I do get to have skis on every week of the year though.
snow report
@Mollerski, I used to be a lot lazier in my skiing and weight a bit backwards (not fully backseat, but definitely needing to get forward more). Also my hands would often drop (that still happens to a degree, I'm working on it snowHead ) Over the years I've learned to be a bit more positive, weight down the line more etc. etc. and have a bit more confidence in the ski to do it's job.
latest report
I suspect that tele is inherently more physical that other ski variants.
However with plain old skiing/ snowboarding, 'it's your technique' is usually the correct answer.

Those with beautiful technique make it look easy because it is easy when done right.

If the opposite was true, and then you'd expect performance of people to drop off with age, along with their fitness.
If as you age you feel yourself doing less, it's not "cobblers" to wonder if you're relying on fitness rather than technique.
ski holidays
Quote:

However with plain old skiing/ snowboarding, 'it's your technique' is usually the correct answer.

Based on much observation, I think this is usually the case.

Although, equally, I see @Mollerski's point. Skiing's hard to train for. Horse riding?

Also rather depends what level you're working at, relatively speaking. I have a bunch of chums who I can ski with all day every day and not break a sweat. Equally, I have a few chums who will happily break me if I don't complain hard and often enough.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you all for your advice and encouragement. Agreed technique is a big part of that but also agreed skiing's hard to train for. I swear skiing (tele or not) uses some muscles that I don't normally use (or train for! e.g. abductor though not sure if that's the right muscle!). I think there'll still be value add (together with improving my technique) to condition those muscles.

Also accepted I'll feel my legs burning in the first day or two regardless of what I do Very Happy

I have slowly up'ed the number of sets I do in leg blasters with the aim to get to 10 sets (from the very recent 6 sets!). Have added variation to the squats and lunges (e.g. occasionally sumo squats or curtsy lunges). Will also start using weights once I get to 10 sets.

I take comfort that I still have at least five more months to get fitter! Smile
snow conditions
@freethemind, 5 months is a good length of time
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@freethemind, 5 months is a good length of time

True, but it's 'kin hard when the sun is out and a cool beer in the garden is calling.

Anyway, I'm off to the gym now. Razz
latest report
@freethemind

I think its ok to struggle first days in the mountains simple because of lack of acclimatization.

I spent one year with pro coach (who trained Olympian), and I can tell that things regarding ski prep are much more complex than anticipated, anything you can find on youtube and forums, all good, but lacking bigger picture. Cycling, running etc are good for general fitness, however if doing just then alone, will do very little to skiing despite of common belief. The good ski programm should take into consideration where you are in the season, great exercises variability and many more other stuff. If you really want a progress, then find a ski prep coach, (I dont know anyone in partucular, the one Ive been with is not english speaker) and I promise, exercises will be hard again:)

I think the variability is the current issue, the stuff you do is not hard anymore because you muscles get used to it. You have to variate and introduce changes every training day you do, doing same thing over and over again, won't be developing, hence there will be no progress. There are different ways how to do squats for example and different approaches. One I did,for example, is 10 normal squats with the bar, then immediately as you finish,do another 10 with dumbbells explosive jumps up, after these, another 10 jumps without any weights, all this is one set Smile
snow conditions
ed48 wrote:
@freethemind
.....the stuff you do is not hard anymore because your muscles get used to it.

Absolutely this.

Keep challenging the body by mixing it up.....and (@OP) don't leave out balance exercises.
latest report
ed48 wrote:
@freethemind

I think its ok to struggle first days in the mountains simple because of lack of acclimatization.

That's a very good point. I tend to be more adversely affected than my ski buddies on day one. Maybe because I live only 36m above sea level?
ski holidays
A fall line article about telemarking, which points out:
Kevin Young wrote:
Burning in the quads is just weakness leaving your body. All telemarkers are united in this pain.

It's newbie focused, but there it is: https://www.fall-line.co.uk/learn-to-telemark/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy