Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EES Delay

Poster: A snowHead
According to Simon Calder EU EES has been delayed another month and significantly watered down at peak times also visa delayed until Q3/4 2025. Hopefully speed processing at Christmas/NY, Feb and April half term holidays.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did he explain what “watered down” meant?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rob@rar, along the lines of c10% having biometric checks at peak times determined by border staff on site. Hopefully more becomes clear soon.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@James77, thanks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great news. Hopefully they will kick the can even further down the road, into 2025.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Terminology is of a 'release valve'.

Im sure it'll come in the can has been kicked since 2021. A phased transition over a year to 18 months would be sensible help iron out issues rather than go hell for leather on day 1.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/border-checks-eu-uk-brexit-entry-b2581142.html
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My plan was to take a short mid week break in a very quiet city when it came in, just to get it done and dusted, rather that take the gamble of being the last plane out of 20 to land, and queue for hours.

That's on the assumption that there will be a "fast lane" for those already on their system?

The later it goes into the year, the least likely for that option.

Just hope the transfer companies are prepared to wait for the odd customer who gets picked out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@brianatab,
That had crossed my mind as a tactic too, I live about equidistant between Gatwick and Folkestone so would just do whatever the cheapest there and back was, possibly in a day, just to get it over with
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rejoin the EU (or EEA?) and you won't have to worry about kicking it down the road, of faffing about doing a short break to sort out the admin so it doesn't affect your main holiday Wink

If you voted for this, then tough titties. I say you should be needing to apply for a visa to travel. Then eventually someone will realise and we'll end up closer, sooner.

Thank feck I have residence permit, so shouldn't need to do this.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy wrote:
Rejoin the EU (or EEA?) and you won't have to worry about kicking it down the road, of faffing about doing a short break to sort out the admin so it doesn't affect your main holiday Wink

If you voted for this, then tough titties. I say you should be needing to apply for a visa to travel. Then eventually someone will realise and we'll end up closer, sooner.

I didn't vote for it and I'd quite happily rejoin the single market in one form or another, unfortunately there are a whole load of inbreds living on the east coast who disagree.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@brianatab, I think they whole of the UK had the same idea!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brianatab wrote:
...That's on the assumption that there will be a "fast lane" for those already on their system?...
I can envisage a fast lane at airports or Eurostar, ie anywhere using e-gates for passports. But Eurotunnel is more problematic. EES will require a fingerprint or facial scan, so that probably means either a handheld finger scanner or everyone having to get out of the vehicle.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ecureuil, I understand at Le Tunnel they have built a hanger facility to process which will entail all passengers getting out of the car for biometrics.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
James77 wrote:
@ecureuil, I understand at Le Tunnel they have built a hanger facility to process which will entail all passengers getting out of the car for biometrics.
That’s right, I saw it when I used the tunnel at the end of May. It’s huge. Not sure if they are going to build walls to the building as it was just a roof when I saw it. I believe every passenger will have to get out of the car to use the biometric sensors, so at the very least a roof is required to keep everyone dry.
ski holidays
@andy, don't visas come in for 2025 under ETIAS?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Did he explain what “watered down” meant?

If Border posts are overwhelmed they will be permitted to cease biometric registration...

https://schengen.news/eus-new-entry-exit-system-launch-date-postponed-to-november-10/
snow conditions
andy wrote:

Do you know that for a fact? I have a CH residence permit, and nobody seems to know whether CH residents with non-EU passports will be exempt.
snow report
brianatab wrote:
My plan was to take a short mid week break in a very quiet city when it came in, just to get it done and dusted, rather that take the gamble of being the last plane out of 20 to land, and queue for hours.

That's on the assumption that there will be a "fast lane" for those already on their system?

The later it goes into the year, the least likely for that option.

Just hope the transfer companies are prepared to wait for the odd customer who gets picked out.

I have a weekend trip booked in early October for exactly that purpose, but I’m out on 22/11 anyway so that’ll have to do instead. Sorted before the season kicks off anyway.
snow conditions
brianatab wrote:

What makes you think you'll get in some priority queue if you've already been captured? US immigration doesn't work that way, you might whizz through the actual interaction with the border agent because they've already got your biometrics but you're still queuing behind multiple planeloads of people whose data hasn't been captured?
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
brianatab wrote:

What makes you think you'll get in some priority queue if you've already been captured? US immigration doesn't work that way, you might whizz through the actual interaction with the border agent because they've already got your biometrics but you're still queuing behind multiple planeloads of people whose data hasn't been captured?
That’s how I assume it will work. Single queue for all non-EU passports - those people who have already done the biometric registration will spend slightly less time getting through once they get to the desk/gate, those people who are doing the initial registration (or 3-year renewal?) will spend a bit longer getting through. But everyone is in the same queue, just like it is currently when you enter the US (unless you have registered for their Global Entry pre-screened programme).
latest report
At Geneva the registration machines for prints/face are separate to the e-gates and booths - there’s three of them right at the end by the non-EU queueing area. I was hoping we’d be able to use the e-gates once registered.
snow conditions
Going through Munich on Monday, the E Gates accepted Aus, NZ, SIN, US and a lot of other nationalities. Not sure why they did not take UK.

I would hope that once the system goes live, it opens up E Gates to us again.
latest report
@telford_mike, according to the ABTA site, resident card holders will go through the EU lanes, as at present. Which only makes sense. Not doing that doesn't.
latest report
Horses Mouth:
https://travel-europe.europa.eu/ees_en

Note that: Ireland and Cyprus will still use stamps in passports despite being in the EU.
latest report
altis wrote:
Horses Mouth:
https://travel-europe.europa.eu/ees_en

Note that: Ireland and Cyprus will still use stamps in passports despite being in the EU.

Which section of that website are you pointing us to? That’s the original (and vague) info that doesn’t really set out how things will change once you’re registered (other than no more stamps), isn’t it?
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, https://travel-europe.europa.eu/ees/faqs-ees_en

"The EES does not apply to:

Nationals of the European countries using the EES, as well as Cyprus and Ireland
Non-EU nationals who hold a residence card and are immediately related to an EU national
Non-EU nationals who hold a residence card or a residence permit and are immediately related to a non-EU national who can travel throughout Europe like an EU citizen
Non-EU nationals travelling to Europe as part of an intra-corporate transfer or for the purposes of research, studies, training, voluntary service, pupil exchange schemes or educational projects and au-pairing
Holders of residence permits and long-stay visas"
snow conditions
@under a new name, Ok - wasn’t sure what question/horse was being referred to. We knew all that didn’t we? No change to current process if you have residency etc?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

What makes you think you'll get in some priority queue if you've already been captured? US immigration doesn't work that way

The US system works exactly that way. I'm registered with all my biometrics (via Global Entry) and I don't queue up at all - just walk off the plane, follow the Global Entry arrows, facial recognition machine scans me, sends me to the front of the line with a slip of paper for the border control agent, and I leave the airport usually within 5-10mins of getting off the plane. I don't even have to get my passport out.

If EES/ETIAS replicates the effectiveness of the systems in the US (and many other places like the UAE, Singapore, Malaysia etc.) it'll be fantastic.
latest report
@snowdave, do you travel to the US often? I'm wondering if it's worth registering with the Global Entry programme for one or occasionally two trips to the US each year?
latest report
"The EES does not apply to ... Holders of residence permits and long-stay visas"

Fingerprints and photos are taken when applying for the Art 50 Residence Permit in Austria (and in other EU countries too?) so presumably the details of holders of this type of Permit are already on "the system".
latest report
@rob@rar, GE is $100 still I think, plus a fee to the UK Govt to do the leg work for the US on your background. GE also gives you pre tsa clearance when returning to the UK which avoids the normal security lanes. The only real irritation is that you have to do an interview on first arrival in the US having completed the paperwork, which can involve quite a wait. After that though its all good for 5 years.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, what @CaravanSkier says regarding cost and process.

I doubt it's worth it for two trips a year. My last two visits to our office in New Jersey involved queues of 60 minutes and 5 minutes respectively at Newark. Not worth it for that sort of average I don't think.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
@snowdave, do you travel to the US often? I'm wondering if it's worth registering with the Global Entry programme for one or occasionally two trips to the US each year?

This. If I was still travelling regularly for work I'd pay for Global Entry but it's marginal for one trip (maybe 2) per year.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, @Dave of the Marmottes, to me it’s an absolute no brainier; I think even one trip a year is worth doing as it takes away all uncertainty on arrival and departures (security) timing. It’s valid for 5 years but the renewal is online, so you only have the interview etc the very first time.

I travel to the US (and within the US) quite frequently so it’s saved me days of my life queuing.
ski holidays
@snowdave, Good to know you only have to do the interview for the first application. Thank you.
snow conditions
It is a pity that the EES 'app' will not be ready for the launch of the system Sad
A lot of problems could be avoided.....

"A new app designed to reduce disruption for travellers using the EU’s forthcoming Entry-Exit System (EES) will not be ready when the system is launched later this year, according to Eurostar’s CEO.

The EU is planning to launch the app allowing travellers to remotely supply their digital fingerprints
and facial scans rather than having to do it at the airport or station."

https://www.businesstravelnewseurope.com/Ground-Transport/EES-app-unlikely-to-be-ready-for-system-s-launch
snow report
As I understand it there are no fast lanes....you go through providing your biometrics each time you cross the border.

EU countries may include the UK in the national facilitation programme which reduces the number of checks required but this is for them to decide.
ski holidays
albob wrote:
It is a pity that the EES 'app' will not be ready for the launch of the system Sad
A lot of problems could be avoided.....

"A new app designed to reduce disruption for travellers using the EU’s forthcoming Entry-Exit System (EES) will not be ready when the system is launched later this year, according to Eurostar’s CEO.

The EU is planning to launch the app allowing travellers to remotely supply their digital fingerprints
and facial scans rather than having to do it at the airport or station."

https://www.businesstravelnewseurope.com/Ground-Transport/EES-app-unlikely-to-be-ready-for-system-s-launch

How could you develop an app to do fingerprints and facial scanning without specific hardware? I know phones can authenticate users via biometrics, but they all use different systems.
snow report
DaveyGTi wrote:
andy wrote:

I didn't vote for it and I'd quite happily rejoin the single market in one form or another, unfortunately there are a whole load of inbreds living on the east coast who disagree.

I am not usually rude but this is the sort of mindless remark that needs picking up on - I am not from the east coast but, if I was, I would be very angry - a sort of insinuation of something - I leave others to determine.

Many people voted to get out of the EU - not for their personal convenience, but for many other reasons.

As an almost retired skier but a regular traveller I find the attitude of some of the posters here as nothing short of utterly selfish - I am rich, I can afford to go skiing (often a lot) and spend a fortune on it and my personal convenience is far more important than anything else. Yes, petty bureaucrats and unelected bureaucracies can make life inconvenient in many walks of life and travel is no different. If I dont like it, I go to non Schengen countries that welcome my £
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy