Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SnowUNsure resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for suggestions for ski resorts that are really great apart from not being snowsure.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glencoe
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
T Bar wrote:
Glencoe

Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megeve
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@T Bar, Thanks I thought I might get some recommendations for Scotland, would work well for a general winter trip to Fort William with skiing only if conditions were good.

@Idris, Agreed lovely place, brings back memories of skiing down to Saint-Gervais-les-Bains and crossing roads on the slushy section at the bottom.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very close/semi-connected to Megeve, Combloux is one of my favourite places to ski.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crans Montana, would be a great resort if they spun it round 180 degrees. Maybe it doesn't quite count as not being snowsure, but the snow there is springlike or worse for a disproportionate length of the season
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The list of resorts which ARE snowsure is much shorter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Henwc, what are your criteria for "really great"? There are hundreds of pretty villages across the Alps (and elsewhere) with just a few lifts and at a relatively low altitude.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megeve / Combloux definitely
The Espace Diamant, just along the valley

I haven't been, but suspect Gstaad, Adelboden and Lenk might fit that description too...

I'd argue that Glencoe *is* fairly snowsure by Scottish standards. Glenshee, perhaps?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My answer has been stolen, the Saint Gervais home run, open for approximately 3 weeks a year (on a good year)
Still love the place
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
denfinella wrote:

I'd argue that Glencoe *is* fairly snowsure by Scottish standards. Glenshee, perhaps?

It may be more snowsure than Glenshee but is hardly snowsure. Id certainly argue that for the quality of terrain and vistas Glencoe ranks well above Glenshee for greatness. Maybe alongside Zermatt and La Grave for vistas and terrain respectively.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Box Hill.

Not often in condition but OK when it is, as usually no commuting on those days.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A link to a getty image
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/people-skiing-on-box-hill-in-surrey-uk-4th-february-1965-news-photo/1346753322?adppopup=true
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Vancouver. Excellent restaurants, other city stuff, a choice of local hills. Except it rains.
Helsinki. Excellent restaurants, other city stuff, one decent local hill. Except it's dark.
snow report
@ecureuil, It's subjective I guess, if someone thinks somewhere is great then I'm happy for them to suggest. I'll take a look and although it might not appeal to me it's all good info.
ski holidays
Henwc wrote:
Looking for suggestions for ski resorts that are really great apart from not being snowsure.

Why?
ski holidays
Yad Moss
latest report
adithorp wrote:
Henwc wrote:

Why?
At last, someone's asked. I thought I was being dim and missing something.
snow report
@adithorp & @Hurtle, The reason I asked is that I tend to be very much on the side of snow sure when planning a trip, this naturally draws me to the high altitude mega resorts. As result I don't really know anything about the other less snow sure resorts so I thought I'd ask.

I stayed for a week in Innsbruck this season and visited 7 different resorts. Only 2 of them would have been places I would have considered for a standalone trip due to snow record. The other 5 were lower altitude and all were good in some way or another so this got me thinking I was a bit ignorant of the hidden gems out there.
snow report
Pretty much the whole Dolomites…

Which resorts do you consider not sure of these? Around Innsbruck only Patscherkofel and Muttereralm spring to mind…

Henwc wrote:

I stayed for a week in Innsbruck this season and visited 7 different resorts. Only 2 of them would have been places I would have considered for a standalone trip due to snow record. The other 5 were lower altitude and all were good in some way or another so this got me thinking I was a bit ignorant of the hidden gems out there.
ski holidays
@Henwc, goddit. Excellent reason for the question. rambotion's reply resonated with me: I'd love to ski in Crans Montana, where I spent so many childhood summers but, as he implies, the whole blooming place is south-facing.
latest report
there ts a difference for me between snowsure and skisure...
The Dolomites are notsnowsure, but definitely skisure.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 15-07-24 14:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
turms2 wrote:
there a difference for me between snowsure and skisure...
The Dolomites are notsnowsure, but definitely skisure.
excellent point
ski holidays
@clarky999,

My opinion of the ski areas before the trip was as follows.

2 Resorts I would have considered snow sure before the trip.
Kuhtai
Stubai Glacier

5 Resorts I would have avoided booking for a week but turns out were excellent (in various ways) and I was probably wrong about them.
Nordkette
Axamer Lizum
Schlich 2000
Patscherkofel
Hochoetz

Trip report here (if you are interested)
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5262517

I think in retrospect all apart from Nordkette would be good for a week, Nordkette is great but you really need to be able to enjoy the top section to get enough out of it in my opinion.
snow report
@turms2, I agree in the ski sure point vs snow sure point, I put Sierra Nevada in Spain into the ski sure category, it's just a shame there are no Granada flights otherwise I'd probably go there more.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, my family had many happy holidays in Anzere, just across a valley from CM (or MC, if you're driving up to it from the right direction), and yes it's sunny (only time I've ever suffered sunstroke was there). It was great skiing none the less, so maybe you should give it a try.
snow report
@joffy69,
Quote:

CM (or MC, if you're driving up to it from the right direction),

They were complete separate villages when I started going there! (We drove up from Sion.)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all, it seems that there are a lot of places off the Rhone Valley in Valais, around Sallanches or close to Fort William.

I might look at a trip based in somewhere around Visp/Sion, Saint-Gervais-les-Bains or a weekend in Fort William to take some of these in.
snow report
enjoyed a few days at Garmisch a couple of years ago. Fairly small but enough for 2 or 3 days, plus you can get the train up to Zugspitze glacier for some different skiing which is another days worth. Easy to get to, train from Munich was easy.
latest report
Henwc wrote:
@clarky999,

My opinion of the ski areas before the trip was as follows.

2 Resorts I would have considered snow sure before the trip.
Kuhtai
Stubai Glacier

5 Resorts I would have avoided booking for a week but turns out were excellent (in various ways) and I was probably wrong about them.
Nordkette
Axamer Lizum
Schlich 2000
Patscherkofel
Hochoetz

Trip report here (if you are interested)
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5262517

I think in retrospect all apart from Nordkette would be good for a week, Nordkette is great but you really need to be able to enjoy the top section to get enough out of it in my opinion.

From those I would consider at least Axamer and Schlick (minus the last cat track to the very bottom) as pretty snow sure, especially Lizum. Nordkette is for sure an edge case: the top half is extremely snow sure but the lower half very not! But yes, definitely not a place you would book a trip to ski for a week there!

I can't comment on Hochötz, but agree about Patscherkofel.
snow report
I'm a big fan of Mount Buller in Victoria, Australia. When the conditions are good and it's fully open it's fantastic. Doesn't happen very often though. 2.5hours from Melbourne.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy