Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying into Zurich - resort recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I've found a great deal for flights to Zurich in February. Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for resorts best placed from there. Open to using public transport or hiring car. I have skied in the Montafon but I was many years ago as a child so can't remember too much. We went to Stuben 2 years ago and loved it - but didn't get as far over as Warth/Shrocken so that was also a thought. I'm keen to try Serfaus/Fiss one year, but not sure if too much hassle trying to get there from Zurich?
We are a family of 5 - Husband, eldest and I are all competent on black runs & easier bits of off piste. Two younger children are good red run skiers, who can manage most black runs. We are definitely like a 'first lift up/last lift down holiday', so I'm looking for plenty of km to keep everyone happy.
We are looking to self cater where ever we go.
I'd be grateful of any advice!
Thank you
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JessG, how far are you prepared to travel for your transfer?

There's a direct train between Zurich and Jenbach, and you could then change on to the Zillertalbahn and ski along the Zillertal for the week. Mayrhofen being the main tourist place to stay, but skiing all along the valley, and up at Hintertux glacier also.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your message. We went to Mayrhofen a few years ago and know the valley (more from the summer in fairness) fairly well, so looking for somewhere new for 2025. However, I didn't realise the train went direct from Zurich to Jenbach, so something to think about another year! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We really like Disentis/ Andermatt/ Sedrun. Or Samnaun/Ischgl for the CH/AT mix.

One thing to know is everywhere is easily accessible by train from Zurich so narrow down your resort first and then apply the travel filters. I find CH very quiet compared to France and Austria in Feb
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JessG, Easy to get to Serfaus. Train to Landeck (direct from Zürich) then very short transfer, just as easy as Stuben (which is a transfer from Bludenz). Montafon also an option, again transfer from Bludenz. I would say Serfaus would suit, not much apres (though assume that not an issue here), maybe a slight shortage of very easy runs but dont think that will worry you. Dont think it will be cheap though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks both. Will look at the Swiss suggestions and have another thinks about Serfaus ....its been on my hit list for a while! Many thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can’t comment too widely as my experience is limited, but I went to Lenzerheide earlier this year using Zurich as a base as we have family there. Was maybe 2 hour drive tops.

A really nice ski area with plenty of decent skiing but it may not be have enough more challenging runs for what you are looking for. You can always get the gondola across to Arosa which has more reds and blacks available too. I can’t speak for self catered accommodation as we were in a hotel but I’m sure you could find something in one of the many hamlets dotted around the lake.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would have thought St Anton would be a great fit, about 3 hours on the train form Zurich airport. Really good size area with plenty of terrain suiting your level. There will be self catering accommodation but how close you can get to the lifts will depend on budget.

My son is not a strong enough skier skier to cope with it yet otherwise I'd probably be there in Feb HT (we're going to Ischgl instead).

Another option for you is Samnaum (connected to Ischgl) it had some very good value self catered accommodation last time I looked and is a very pretty resort.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zurich opens up a range of options, and usually has decent pricing compared with other ski airports. We have skiied in Davos, Laax and Lenzerheide and enjoyed them all in their different ways; there is also good train access to Innsbruck and the nearby resorts. (Trains and connecting buses are so good in Switzerland that hiring a car is pointless).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Andermatt: very accessible by train.

Flims Lax Falero: train & post bus (but no hassle)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great advice - thank you. Don't really know anything about Swiss resorts so am grateful of all your answers.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I enjoyed Andermatt for a few days in April this year. But the main family skiing is a lot of across the range as far as you want toward Disentis (with a bus/rail leg in the middle) and then back and town is a bit of a mixed bag as they built out the new modern luxury quarter.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JessG, i’d go to any resort in Graubunden just to eat capuns at lunchtime! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Nadenoodlee, oooh, capuns. Yum!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JessG, Davos/Klosters is a very easy train ride from Zurich. I think there's a fair amount of apartments for rent in Davos - go for the Dorf end to be closest to the Parsennbahn.
ski holidays
1. St Moritz
2. Lech
3. Klosters
4. Wengen
5. Andermatt
snow conditions
@Chico, the best swiss dish out there!
latest report
Grindelwald / Wengen is easy to reach by train
snow report
Henwc wrote:

Another option for you is Samnaum (connected to Ischgl) it had some very good value self catered accommodation last time I looked and is a very pretty resort.

Samnaun has some great skiing, and I have stayed there. I would not really describe it purely as a pretty resort. A fair bit depends on which bit you are in. It slightly straggles along the valley.. Some of the older bits are very rustic and pleasant , the main bit is basically a melange of modern hotels and apartments with loads of duty free shops that feels a bit soulless to me anyway.

I certainly wouldn't disagree with Samnaun as an option but I would watch a bit where I stayed if I wanted an attractive bit.
snow report
@T Bar, Agreed, probably not as pretty as I remember. I was really thinking about the scenery coming out of the smugglers run into the west end of the valley rather than the main bit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy