Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria, curorts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone!
My wife and I are planning a short trip to Austria and would love some advice from experienced travelers like yourselves. We have some travel experience and enjoy discovering new places. We're looking for recommendations on resorts in Austria, especially for a romantic getaway for a couple. We're interested in beautiful views, good food, and a peaceful atmosphere. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Jack Eh oh!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JackJohnston, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

You didn't say what time of year you'll be going. This is (predominantly) a winter sports forum, so most here go in winter, but Austria (like other Alpine countries) is very nice to visit at other times of the year too.

You also didn't say how you intend to travel there. Will you be flying there and relying on public transport or renting a car to get around, or alternatively driving out from the UK? Either way there's plenty of resorts to fit your requirements.

Off the top of my head I'd suggest Zell am See (nice lakeside location), Kitzbühel with it's pedestrianised main street with horse drawn carriage rides, or several of the ski resorts in the SkiAmade region near Salzburg.

If you're not specifically needing a ski resort then I'd also suggest Bad Ischl, a lovely town which was the summer residence of the old Austrian Kaiser Franz Josef, you can visit his Kaiservilla. If you should stay in Bad Ischl then I can highly recommend staying at the Landhaus Fay, a lovely B&B run by two snowHeads Nicky and Mark. However be aware that it is on the outskirts of Bad Ischl and you really need a car to get around if you are staying there. Incidentally I see you mentioned Kurorts in your thread title. Bad Ischl is a Kurort, with a park and Kursaal right in the centre of town, and also a thermal spa
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gasteinertal
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair Pink, thanks for the mention Very Happy. Much appreciated.

@JackJohnston, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

As Alastair mentioned, Bad Ischl is indeed a Kurort. The easiest way to describe the town, in my view, is as a “county town”. Although officially a city, it is small and quite cosy, situated at the confluence of two rivers - the Traun and the Ischl.

The town is famed for its connections to culture, the Hapsburg family (who still reside here) and salt mining. Currently it’s the European Capital of Culture.

The town is overlooked by it’s Hausberg, Katrin - well worth a cable car trip to to summit for the stunning views.

Bad Ischl offers a fairly relaxed, traditional Austrian experience with the surrounding Salzkammergut being a much favoured holiday destination amongst Austrians throughout much of the year. Also very popular with Germans, Czechs and Hungarians (notably amongst many other Central European visitors).

The area, generally, is relatively unspoiled. Options for quiet hiking in the immediate mountains are many, where local food can be experienced in a number of typical mountain huts.

Bad Ischl offers a fabulous spar (Therme), numerous restaurants and cafes, pleasant strolling opportunities and fairly frequent traditional music events in the Kurpark pavillion.

Many of the 76 lakes in the Salzkammergut are ideal for swimming or walking around. Most are drinking water quality and the larger offer sedate boat/ship cruising.

You don’t mention the time of year….the only time of year I’d recommend missing is November. It’s probably the quietist month of the year and many places can be closed. We also tend to shut for several weeks for annual maintenance etc.

Please don’t hesitate to ask, if you have any specific questions.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jäger, in your description of Bad Ischl you omitted to mention the attraction that is Zauner Konditorei. wink A superb cafe located by the side of the river Traun with an open air terrace, as well as elegant indoor seating with a mouth watering selection of cakes and pastries. A visit for Kaffee und Kuchen is not to be missed. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink, of course, there is always the original Konditorei on Pfargasse….elegance personified wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy