Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hofnar solo trips. Any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

First post, so be kind Happy

Has anyone been on a solo ski trip with Hofnar? Specifically the all ages group? I'm looking to book for Christmas week 24/25 season.

Wondering what the vibe is like, and also what ability the other skiiers are. Ideally I'd like to be on a group where there are some good skiers I can ski with.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SH Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've done at least 1 week a year with them for the last 10 years and every week's a little different, just because your fellow guests are different.

First off what HOFNAR trips __aren't__
1. "Singles" trips where everyone's just trying to get into each others pants. Sure it does happen from time to time but most people are there first and foremost to ski and don't have friends who want to ski/like having people to talk to in the evenings.
2. Organized fun. While the hosts will suggest going out for beers/tobogganing/watching the Penguins ice hockey team/etc they are just suggestions that none/some/all of the group my elect to do - but if everyone's going out and you say "I'm just going to stay here and read my book" you'll just get "No worries. We'll try not to wake you when we come back.".

Age Groups
In theory Chalet Skade is for 18-35 year olds/Chalet Hubert for any age - but that's mainly to try and give one noisy/one quieter chalet for people to pick from. I've done trips with people spanning 18 to 65 but generally people are in the 25-45 bracket.

Vibe
As I've said every week is different. I've done weeks where everyone was up for going out every night but equally had weeks where everyone was more than happy to sit around the chalet drinking the free house beer/wine. And across the group there's normally a mix of early morning and late night people and days usually start in dribs and drabs. If 2 or 3 people are up, eaten, and ready to go they usually head off up the hill rather than waiting for everyone else and you either regroup for morning coffee/lunch/post skiing beers/just back at the chalet at the end of the day.

Skiing Ability
Again, down to who's on the trip at the end of the day but like the vibe you generally find there's a few people who want to ski like/at the same level as you, be that first lift/last lift vs. only making 2 runs before lunch, slowly cruising blues vs. straight lining reds and blacks, and trying to stay on the piste vs. trying to be off it as much as possible.

Generally everyone skis together to start the first day and while it can stay that way all week usually little sub groups form naturally on different days.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dan, who runs HOFNAR, thinks snowHeads is a cult, which I take as a sign of respect from a cult leader like himself.

He's a sound guy IME.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been away with hofnar 4 times. Can't think of a bad thing to say about them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Mijit, and others. Really useful comprehensive reply and very reassuring. I went ahead and booked this morning.

Yes I got the vibe as being not a hook up thing which is good. I like to ski seriously and being in my 40s the wild partying is behind me.

It's also reassuring that there is a mix. I'm an early riser/competent skier so crossing fingers that there will be someone I can buddy up with for hitting a day of blacks/reds and off-piste. If not no problem as I'm happy to ski on my own.

Contemplated booking two weeks back to back but thought that was a bold first move and wasn't confident of the snow at that time of year. I've not done Morzine before but assume it's possible to head up to Avoriaz if the snow line is high? Still have the opportunity to book later in the season if I have a fun time.

Looks promising so far!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
“I've not done Morzine before but assume it's possible to head up to Avoriaz if the snow line is high? “

Yes but the other 3 nearby resorts think the same! Don’t count on it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Morzine can be a little low at Christmas. Try checking out YSEski in Val d'Isere. Chalet les Chardons has 10 single rooms & you'll always find people to ski with. I've been with them many times & THEY ARE GOOD!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did the Christmas just gone with HOFNAR and while conditions were 'a bit poo-poo' generally across the Alps. The Morzine-Les Gets side was 'a little slushy' and I probably wouldn't have bothered with it at all if I hadn't run into some friends/their children in town. Conditions were fine up in Avoriaz though, just getting a little sticky lower down as the day wore on and it wasn't especially busy either.

And if you see Dan, tell him the polar bear says hi Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone for your replies. Reassuring, and I'm looking forward to it.

Will look into YSESki for my next trip. One of the things I wanted was a chalet experience as opposed to hotel rooms as was worried about the ability to be social in a hotel, but that hotel looks good.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Snowtuner, if you'll get the chance in the future, consider joining the SH bashes.
Plenty of folks here with the same traits.
Be advised, it's addictive.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Snowtuner, Hi there. Welcome to Snowheads.

As some on here have read I have found myself without a ski buddy after tragically losing my 16 year old son in March. I was considering getting away somewhere for Xmas as obviously this year year will be different to last. Perhaps forward of me, but maybe I could look to book on the same one?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@drporat, yes, I'm seriously contemplating.

Even accounting for the Christmas weel I'll still have four weeks annual leave to use up between now and the end of March Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy