Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan ski season with kids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

We're a family of riders and skiers. All high level and pow lovers.
We're considering a season in Japan and would love some suggestions on accommodation, best choices for location, gera and how to get about.
We've looked at shiga kogen/ Otaru / Sapporo / Asahikawa in Hokkaido and we're looking for the most cost effective way to do it.

We have kids ages 7, 9 and 13 . We've done 6 years of seasons in Austria and a season in France with kids, and previously lived in chamonix.

Obviously not looking for a golden solution but certainly hope there is a way to make this amazing opportunity less of a money pit.

Would love advice, suggestions, thoughts, experienced opinions Eh oh!
Biggest questions, buy gear in Japan? Or bring 5 boards, boots, skis for the tall other half (2m10)?
Find a long term accommodation and rent a car and drive about? Or get places in various areas?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Outside the obvious areas the accommodation and food is really cheap. I think your Asshikawa / Otaru plan is a good one. You’d definitely want a car so perhaps buy a 2nd hand car and sell it when you leave? Maybe you can split the accom in 2 to make it easier to try out the resorts on both sides of the island. Snowboarding is massive in JP so you should be able to get good kit there
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks BobinCH - I hadn't thought about buying a car - it might work out cheaper overall - but a lot more hassle.
I noticed you've been a number of times yourself in the older threads - Would you suggest the extra expense of trying to hit Honshu would be worth it or just stick to Hokkaido.

When adding up accommodation, car, and day passes it looks to be about 4 times more expensive than a season in Europe for us. It's definitely hard to know if it would be worth it with kids of this age - and the relative less extreme skiing we'll end up doing and hassles involved with carting them about...........
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Powderpete, Hokkaido could be cold and windy, plan accordingly
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AnnaGasser wrote:
Thanks BobinCH - I hadn't thought about buying a car - it might work out cheaper overall - but a lot more hassle.
I noticed you've been a number of times yourself in the older threads - Would you suggest the extra expense of trying to hit Honshu would be worth it or just stick to Hokkaido.

When adding up accommodation, car, and day passes it looks to be about 4 times more expensive than a season in Europe for us. It's definitely hard to know if it would be worth it with kids of this age - and the relative less extreme skiing we'll end up doing and hassles involved with carting them about...........

I can’t believe it’s 4 times more expensive than Europe Shocked Shocked Shocked

The only relatively expensive thing was the rental car at approx $100 per day for an X-Trail. If you were going for 3 or 4 months I would just buy one and sell it at the end. Any garage should do this.

Aren’t there season passes for the Otaru / Asahikawa resorts? The day passes were cheap but I can see how they could rack up if you’re buying 100 of them. Food and accommodation was super cheap. We paid less than $1 for a coffee in 7-11 and you could get a meal out for $10. My room at Hostel K in Asahidake was less than $30 and there was a free Onsen and kitchen. I loved it there and there are others I believe. With a car you must be able find cheap lodging on airbnb or via local agents?

Re Honshu I’ve been to Hakuba, Myoko and Tanigawadake and I’d say all are worth visiting. Tanigawadake has steep terrain and the best freeriding but the other 2 are much bigger with multiple resorts to choose from.

I love Japan and would imagine it would be a fabulous experience for a family.

Ps if you are into ski touring and can ditch the kids that opens up tons of options, and you can buy single uplifts eg at Asahidake, find a nice pitch that doesn’t lead back to the lift, make your skin track and just lap fresh pow all day.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
We have kids ages 7, 9 and 13 . We've done 6 years of seasons in Austria and a season in France with kids, and previously lived in chamonix.

Education implications for children doing a season in Japan?

Can't comment on the rest - but it looks great fun. Good luck.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Powderpete,
Try asking on ski.com.au - plenty on there ski Japan regularly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We managed to do the Europe seasons in a motorhome and self catering - hence the reasons the prices were kept down.
The Kids are being home schooled at the moment - with online lessons to allow for a family gap year and travel experiences.

Thanks for the replies - and have asked on ski.com.au also - thanks.

The reason for the day passes is to have the variety of different resorts with them being a relatively small size and would love to do the touring - but with a lack of equipment and experience I would have to save it for another time - and the husbands tall size and clown feet renting equipment would probably be a nightmare.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AnnaGasser wrote:
would love to do the touring - but with a lack of equipment and experience I would have to save it for another time - and the husbands tall size and clown feet renting equipment would probably be a nightmare.

It’s worth the investment I can assure you. This was a touring day from Furano
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2pS2kPShc-/?igsh=MWsybjB1czQ3Ynh1Zg==
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It looks incredible Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AnnaGasser wrote:
I noticed you've been a number of times yourself in the older threads -
Quote:
Would you suggest the extra expense of trying to hit Honshu would be worth it or just stick to Hokkaido.
Quote:

My two cents (been three times, but just a new member here): one island per visit unless you have a couple of months! Otherwise just too much time spent travelling and not enough skiing/boarding. Hokkaido is wonderful skiing and usually better snow than Honshu but often colder/stormier. The only true downsides to Hokkaido are that a) it usually takes an extra flight and b) it was only developed about 150 years ago, with a lot of investment by the Russians, and so the infrastructure looks ... Russian. Big surprise on our second trip! The towns are very "utilitarian", almost ugly, and not the beautiful, wooden traditional buildings, houses, shrines etc. you imagine when you think of Japan. If the authentic aesthetic is an important part of your trip, then go to Honshu instead. The Hakuba area is most expensive/busy but just a bit further north in the Japanese Alps there are much more affordable areas: Myoko, Minakami, and even further north (not the Alps, a different range) are Geto and Appi Kogen.
latest report
 Joint01
Joint01
I've never been to Japan to ski, but after reading the comments here, I might give it a try—if I can get in, of course. But if I ever go, what is the best place to start for a ride?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy