Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz via ferrata

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yeah I know it’s not ski-ing, but it is summertime, and figure there might be many people on here that do winters and summers in the alps!

Wondering what the via ferrata is like in Avoriaz, and ideally compared to the one in Saint Jean d'Aulps.
Thinking of taking my son, we did the one in St Jean and he found that fine, then we did the one in Samoen but he found that trickier as some holds were quite a reach, and a few of the pegs were “slanty”. He probably could have done it, but no point pushing if they aren’t enjoying it, so we took one of the escape routes on this one.

So wondering how the Avoriaz one compares to these two.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have done lots of ferrata but sadly not this one. It was closed for a long time. Part of it looks quite straightforward at AD grade. The rest looks like D+ which can be challenging and the same as the Tete d’Elephant. The Via du Mont in Samoens is rated AD.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting that the Via du Mont is rated AD and Tête d’Elephant is rated D+. We (more accurately my son) found the Tete reasonably straightforward, but struggled on hold spacing on via du Mont.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sometimes the grading is based more on the steepness rather than the stemple spacing. For example a long overhanging section may have the stemples close together and be D+ but a slab may have you relying more on natural rock spacing and be an AD. Different people also have different perceptions of the difficulty of climbs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also depends on the location and exposure to weather, here in Serre Chevalier we have one, L'Aiguilette du Lauzet which is relatively simple but graded D due to it taking 4-5hrs in total and the possibility of the weather changing significantly in that time.......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@KenX, a lovely day out though. I liked it
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ish303, You may be right about the Tête d’Elephant being relatively straightforward. I just looked at the https://www.viaferrata-fr.net website and the users gradings were as follows

F 4%
PD 8%
AD 44%
D 44%

Some comments were about the excessive number of stemples on the route (having them too close together can be more tiring than too far apart).

The alternative route Voie de l'Oeil looks like it may be a bit more challenging.

I cannot give much more information because I've left my via ferrata guide books in France.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We did the Avoriaz one a few years ago, and I don't remember it being that hard, the kids (probably early teenagers at that point?) didn't have a problem. It is essentially a traverse, so it doesn't have the vertigo factor that the St Jean one does.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy