Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fatmap will be totally integrated into Strava Oct 1st

Poster: A snowHead
Just hope that there is still the ability to download the maps and overlays etc

Thank you for being a dedicated member of the FATMAP community. Since we started FATMAP 10 years ago, your outdoor adventures and expeditions have made FATMAP the world's most powerful 3D map.

We're integrating FATMAP features into Strava and will retire the FATMAP app and website on October 1, 2024.

Until then, you can use all the FATMAP features you currently enjoy.
After October 1, the app and website will be shutdown, and all account data will be permanently deleted.

You can transfer your routes to Strava or export your data until October 1, 2024.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is very disappointing.

They have made it so you can see 3D on strava now but there doesn't seem to be any navigation tools to rotate and move your view to see different aspects.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very disappointing. I’ve no interest in Strava, and hope the FATMAP functionality isn’t crippled without a Strava subscription.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Guess it is back to guidebooks and pictures....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just had a quick look on Strava (cycling, though hardly serious stuff usually about 150 - 200km on the flat!! a week in summer) and cant see any ski options which could well be down to my own incompetence in using the app. I can see this would be irritating if you dont have a Strava subscription but if you do this could be a useful addition.

@afterski, Just had a look at the 3D map option (no real point if cycling) and I cant see it would be much use for off piste skiing or mountaineering though perhaps I am not using it properly.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I too find it a tad frustrating and I subscribe to both!

The app on the phone is great for when I'm in sectors that I don't know and plan ski-tour routes etc based on terrain aspects, though on the whole if you follow IGN ski-tour routing and are sensible you can't go too wrong.

The FatMap app can also be very good for looking at potential free-ride routes in resort, but not all resorts have these, and also if you're in a new area you can look at popular routes for all disciplines, again useful and I looked at these when I was in Embrun for a couple of weeks recently.

I do use Strava for planning routes, mainly trail running, though cycling if I'm in a new area and then bring those into various apps and onto my watch to navigate. I also use it a lot to look back at previous times on big rides if I'm contemplating them again to remind myself of the length of pain I'm letting myself in for.

And then only this week did a trail run up behind us and I thought I was going well and was able to look back and see how good the time was in terms of previous times over the years along with power / hr output etc

It's going to be, I think a big ask to get all the Fatmap subscriber functionality into the Strava App which is already a little clunky when comparing it to the desktop functionality.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, Have you managed to link your two accounts? As far as I can see you should be able to "add" Fatmap to Strava but every time I try it fails
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use FM but not Strava, I’m hopeful that it’s not a bad move. I perhaps niaively assumed we will have all the features of Strava and FM in one app for not much more than the cost of FMs.
Anyways there is a 6 month free go for existing FM subscribers so I can try this winter for free
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suspect the number of people wanting both is fairly limited. My runner and cyclist friends certainly have no interest in fatmap. Similarly the guys I know who do a lot of ski touring and use fatmap have no interest in Strava.

Even for people that do use both I can't see any real benefit to having them in a single app. It's a hassle for those of us that have built up a bit of a fatmap library of routes (yes we can download the gpxs, but fatmap visualisations and overlays are particularly good). I do worry that some functionality will be lost, for example the avalanche overlay is something I use a lot for planning routes, but I suspect has little interest to the vast majority of Strava users so probably an easy thing to cut.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've used Komoot recently for some mountain biking and hiking in North Yorkshire. Pretty good app too. Better for route discovery than Strava in my opinion. At least for non technical basic stuff.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boarder2020, I assume that Strava has bought Fatmap for its mapping and 3d tech rather than its community or trail details.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boarder2020 wrote:
I suspect the number of people wanting both is fairly limited. My runner and cyclist friends certainly have no interest in fatmap. Similarly the guys I know who do a lot of ski touring and use fatmap have no interest in Strava.

Even for people that do use both I can't see any real benefit to having them in a single app. It's a hassle for those of us that have built up a bit of a fatmap library of routes (yes we can download the gpxs, but fatmap visualisations and overlays are particularly good). I do worry that some functionality will be lost, for example the avalanche overlay is something I use a lot for planning routes, but I suspect has little interest to the vast majority of Strava users so probably an easy thing to cut.

I use FM sometimes for running or hiking routes, but I would not buy it for that - I bought it for skiing and the other stuff is a bonus. Hopefully the ski specific functionality will not be lost
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@boarder2020, think you're forgetting about the overlap between XC skiers, especially Scandis, who ski tour as well and in the Summer turn their attention to other sports but relish the XC side of Strava, well at least judging by the sample of the Scandis I know; and you only have to look at the Vasoloppet numbers.

A good few years ago when I obviously missed an email from Garmin about an upgrade I lost all my data from the early days of GPS and no longer have a diary record of what I was doing pre 2013 which is where I think my Strava goes back to.

All my FM activities are ported in from Strava but routes I'll take a look at as
@munich_irish, I have not tried syncing the two accounts yet.

Actually just checked and my first Lautaret from home was back in 2012!!

Tell a lie just looked at a segment I created "Home to Lautaret" of which I've ridden it 98x and the first was in 2011 Very Happy

And my first descent Lautaret to Monetier (12.75km) was quite slow compared to now, though I've eased off a bit now but my PB is still a respectable 566 (12:24) out of 41k with a certain T Pidcock 8th at 10:05 and if I had better gearing so I wasn't spinning out???!!!

Further edit.....

Your transfer of FATMAP routes to your connected Strava account requested on June 25 at 8:35 PM has been processed and your routes should appear in Strava within 24 hours. If you subsequently add more routes to FATMAP, you can request to repeat this transfer process by clicking here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a paid Fatmap subscription, anyone know if the OS, IGN etc maps are being moved to Strava? Couldn't find anything online that said either way this morning, access to that is the main reason I decided to stump up the annual fee so pretty pointless if they go.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="DaveyGTi".... anyone know if the OS, IGN etc maps are being moved to Strava....[/quote]

Feck, that's a damn good point Shocked
ski holidays
I’ve had FM subscription for a few years. Also have Outdooractive pro subscription, which has loads of quality national topo maps (ign, os, Swiss, norgeskart etc). OA have proper Austrian topo maps which FM don’t.

OA have added avalanche layers etc and while they don’t quite have the whizzy visualisation offered by FM, it’s fine for route planning.

Will be interested to see what Strava looks like in a few months time…
ski holidays
I didn't read the email as Strava will be updated by October. Just that FATmap itself will be gone.

If other tech merges are anything to go by this will take a couple of years at least.
snow conditions
I've mainly used FATMAP for planning hiking routes, but I am a Strava devotee. I don't use Facebook, Instagram, but love Strava. I love seeing people's runs, rides or swims from around the world (lot of friends in the Alps, but also US, Australia, NZ etc). In lockdown, I lived vicariously through Strava...
ski holidays
@DaveyGTi, @Weathercam, if you're Android based, have a look at AlpineQuest which is excellent.

It's got access to masses of mapping, (I've got (free) access to OS & IGN). It's got loads of functionality - you can even take a JPEG image of a map and geolocate 4 corners to the underlying base map to create your own map

You can create workspaces which you can have multiple map layers loaded for different parts of the world, and easily switch between workspaces returning to where you were on the previous one without having to load/unload the other maps
snow conditions
afterski wrote:
I didn't read the email as Strava will be updated by October. Just that FATmap itself will be gone.

If other tech merges are anything to go by this will take a couple of years at least.

What would be the point for Strava in doing that? Why not keep FM going and get revenue if they are not able to incorporate it yet. Otherwise people will migrate to other services

From their email this week

“Over the next several months, we’ll bring many of FATMAP’s 3D maps and other features to Strava to create the world’s best platform for planning, navigating, and sharing outdoor adventures with the largest global community of active people”

I doubt everything will be incorporated but it sounds like some aspects soon
snow report
geoffers wrote:
@DaveyGTi, @Weathercam, if you're Android based, have a look at AlpineQuest which is excellent.

It's got access to masses of mapping, (I've got (free) access to OS & IGN). It's got loads of functionality - you can even take a JPEG image of a map and geolocate 4 corners to the underlying base map to create your own map

You can create workspaces which you can have multiple map layers loaded for different parts of the world, and easily switch between workspaces returning to where you were on the previous one without having to load/unload the other maps

I actually do use Alpine Quest as I was given a who load of os and ign maps in .qct format that AQ will open. Where did you get access to OS and IGN?
snow conditions
@DaveyGTi via Bing & geoportail.gouv.fr

I'll PM you with the necessary links
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy