Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switch from skiing to snowboarding

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, I'm already a decent skier (whole mountain, freestyle, reasonable in moguls etc.) and thinking of learning to snowboard.

Any tips on the best route to getting to comfortable blue run standard?

Will this forever ruin my skiing enjoyment?

I would think there is a thread somewhere on this but I my search came up blank, feel free to redirect me to an existing thread if you are feeling helpful, thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if you rent, then lots of places will let you swap for a little extra.
Give it a try. Maybe a private 1:1 lesson to get the basics. I think skiers transition easier to snowboard than the other way around.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Easier to transition that way. However you need to know why you want to do it and how much you want to commit. Many skiers who dabble give up during the initial 3 days of nasty slams and frustration but the learning curve is quite steep after that in terms of time i.e. once you "get it" you'll progress rapidly.

Biggest issues are the free foot getting off lifts (and control on lift exit more generally), lack of fun on hardpack (until you become a high competency carver) and of course getting through the arris bruises and whiplash.

After learning you'll be frustrated by how hard traverses are compared to skiing but become a better skier by your identification of different lines and a safer skier by appreciating how boarders move.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And it's always fun learning something new. And I think you become a better, more understanding slope-user by reminding yourself how beginners feel, contemplating what for you as a skier is a boringly easy slope!

If the business of becoming a "beginner again" bothers you, it's worth asking why. My two sons had a very different attitude. The younger one (by some distance the better skier, a natural) learnt to snowboard pretty well too, and now does both, depending on snow conditions. The older boy, who always liked to feel "cool" couldn't cope with being a beginner again and "wasting" days when he could be skiing.

It just seems to be skiers who have this conceptual problem with learning another discipline. Windsurfers - some of whom transitioned from dinghy sailing years ago - are now busy knackering themselves windfoiling, possibly having dabbled with kite surfing in the meantime. Obviously at elite level you can't dabble - very few fencers compete in more than one discipline and top tennis players geneerally don't play squash. But for amateurs mucking around, why not? Road bike one day, mountain bike at the weekend!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Henwc, there is a thread of @Dyrlac doing exactly that:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5218145&highlight=learning+snowboard#5218145

My suggestions based on your location would be get yourself in to MK or Hemel for their learn to snowboard in a day, or series of beginner lessons. At least then you've got some ability when it comes to getting out to the mountains.

What I'd ask is, do you not think there's any improvement still to be made in skiing? Or perhaps you try getting in to ski touring? That's not intended to mean don't try snowboard, but more, i'm sure there's still things you could improve in skiing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

learn to snowboard in a day

Good idea. That's what I did - utterly knackering, especially as I was at least quarter of a century older than anybody else in the group. But the best way of finding out whether it's something you actually want to continue with.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all,

The aim of getting to comfortable blue run standard is so I can go out with my son who is an intermediate skier and I'll need to keep up with him. It's also because I tend to do a family week at UCPA every easter and the snowboarding lessons only start at intermediate level.

The main motivation is to enjoy learning something new. I actually see being a beginner again as a plus. It's like when learning surfing the beginner stage is great fun because every little wave you catch is a thrill.

I have a full set of body armour I use for freestyle skiing which includes massive armoured shorts so I'm hopefully ready for the bruising. I'm just hoping it isn't worse than stacking it on skis into a rail or a box! I'll also dig out my largely unused wrist protectors.

The point about ruining my skiing enjoyment was a bit of a joke, in that "will I not want to ski anymore because boarding is more fun?".
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As Yoda taught us "Do, or Do Not - there is no try". Commit to it - go for a day in a fridge by all means but know you will probably not be where you think you should be after a day. Likewise if you're going on a ski trip and think you'll do it for 3 days for 'larks' don't bother, all you'll get out of it is that "Snowboarding is rubbish and skiing is more betterer!"

It's a skill that will pay dividends IF you stay for the long haul. Do a week - with all the falls and faffs and tweaks and frustrations - and you'll get to the payout. The artistry, the joy, and the way to read and see the mountain anew.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Henwc, I suspect you need to commit for a week and have an answer to the question "am I prepared to spend a great powder day boarding on the bunny slopes rather than ducking out to ski?".
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

know you will probably not be where you think you should be after a day.

Absolutely. But you should know whether it's something you want to continue to learn, or not. So you will go into your next week in the mountains properly committed.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways wrote:

It's a skill that will pay dividends IF you stay for the long haul. Do a week - with all the falls and faffs and tweaks and frustrations - and you'll get to the payout. The artistry, the joy, and the way to read and see the mountain anew.

Then you'll go back to skiing because traverses and flat spots are a pain in the arris... wink That said you can usually spot a skier who has been a boarder or hung with boarders a lot because they'll deploy the powerslide for sh;ts and giggles or strategically.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swskier, Thanks for the link.

I'll look into various indoor options for some lessons, perhaps Belgian/Dutch places. Then I could follow up with private lessons for when my son is in ski school at UCPA at Easter and ski with him outside of those lessons.

I have plenty more to learn when skiing it's just time spent skiing with my son is the priority and the precious memories are worth it. I did a 10 week course with good level of coaching a few years ago and I'd really need to commit a lot of effort to progress my skiing beyond where I got to at the end of the course.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Do the “board in a day” thing at a dome for sure. Once in resort you should pick it up and progress pretty quickly if you’re going to. Blue runs and linked turns on your first day or two aren’t unusual.

For Snowboarding conditions are way more important than skiing. Nice grippy corduroy is ideal. Ice and or mixed really really not for learning. You only have one edge, and if you lose it it goes tits up quite quickly.

To answer your question “will it ruin skiing forever” question, wait till your first powder day - the answer is yes. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

it's just time spent skiing with my son is the priority

Yep. Very good point. It'll be good for him to have to wait for you sometimes!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Henwc, If you want to have something to do with your son, why not try telemark? Bit more practical to ski with him instead of board? Also good fun!
latest report
@ski, Telemark is not a bad shout, it would be helpful for pole towing him on the flat too I'd expect.
snow report
Quote:

it would be helpful for pole towing him on the flat too I'd expect.

teach him to skate and he can tow you!
snow report
Henwc wrote:
@swskier, Thanks for the link.

I'll look into various indoor options for some lessons, perhaps Belgian/Dutch places. Then I could follow up with private lessons for when my son is in ski school at UCPA at Easter and ski with him outside of those lessons.

I have plenty more to learn when skiing it's just time spent skiing with my son is the priority and the precious memories are worth it. I did a 10 week course with good level of coaching a few years ago and I'd really need to commit a lot of effort to progress my skiing beyond where I got to at the end of the course.

Another option would be to find a decent ski school at the same time as your son's lessons?

All options will be good, but agree with the telemark option, bit more of an inbetween from virtually complete beginner on a board, so you'll probably have more fun on tele with your son.
ski holidays
I admire a good telemarker (especially in the right gear wink )but it doesn't look anything like as much fun as boarding!
snow report
Quote:

Telemark is not a bad shout, it would be helpful for pole towing him on the flat too I'd expect.

Oh yes.... comfier (than ski) boots too!

Quote:

but it doesn't look anything like as much fun as boarding!

Hmmm --- each to their own! Yes I have boarded, both are fun Very Happy

Quote:

especially in the right gear

What?
latest report
Henwc, falling when boarding is quite different from when you fall skiing.
You go backwards or forwards with a mighty clunk.
Definitely wear a helmet, but also worth investing in coccyx and wrist protection - I was certainly very grateful during my trial 3 days.
(Not for me - went back to sking).
snow report
@Jonpim, Thanks for the concern. I have a full armour setup for skiing: knee, seriously think shorts inc coccyx, body including heavy duty spine protector, elbow, wrist and a top rated helmet with face guard. Admittedly I'd need to dig out the wrist protectors from the attic because I don't tend to use them much as they get in the way of a good pole plant.
snow report
Quote:

@ski, have you never seen Alistair Pink in his telemark gear? Only way to go.
snow conditions
I’ve been boarding a lot longer than I have skiing (30yrs vs 10yrs) and enjoy both equally now. In fact, I find skiing more rewarding in as much as it still doesn’t come as naturally to me as boarding still does.

I found a big advantage was knowing how edge pressure works (be that two or one) and being able to read a slope to see the easiest way down. It still baffles my wife who only skis when I try and point out slope features which can work to your advantage and she’s been skiing almost as long as me.
ski holidays
Origen wrote:
Quote:

It's all very well but your handfelled and whittled lurk does tend to be an inconvenience in your baggage.
latest report
I skied as a kid till about 16. Then boarded and spent a couple of working winter seasons on a board. Then transitioned back once I had kids. I was lucky too as I learnt in hard boots on a skinny slalom directional board at a time when skis were still straight. Love a layed down toe edge carve.

I often dream about powder days on a board. Fat skis are not even close to that much fun. I'd agree with above too though. Perfect corduroy or powder is the only 2 conditions to be out in.
ski holidays
Quote:

It still baffles my wife who only skis when I try and point out slope features which can work to your advantage and she’s been skiing almost as long as me.

THIS!
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

It still baffles my wife who only skis when I try and point out slope features which can work to your advantage and she’s been skiing almost as long as me.

THIS!
Route picking is something I can do on Skis thankfully. This is because of the many days I have been skiing with my son and needing to help him find the safest line to take. This was tested last year when we both skied happily down from the top of the Saas Fee glacier to the village in icy conditions. The red runs off the glacier and under the mid station can be challenging for an intermediate if taken on the fall line. However they ski more like a blue run if you hit the right line using bumps, edge of piste, shady/sunny sections and natural features to flatten it out and avoid the hard stuff.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Everyone needs a darkside.... do it!

I have been swinging and carving both ways now for some time indeed, my sage advice, as others have said and should you heed it would be....
- like most sports, but especially snowboarding, get a few lessons to start so as not to get the really bad habits, mainly reduces the amount of falls and pain. Give it a few days and it gets easier and easier, the first few can be very frustrating.

Sorry skiing but you don't beat snowboarding powder, for that floaty, effortless fun, if you can do it well, perfect pistes are pretty good too.
ski holidays
Once you've learned to ride though, a snowboard has a wider range of use than skis.

Skiers will not enjoy crust or slush, where as on my snowboard I barely notice it.
In sticky snow the skiers will walk away very much earlier than snowboarders.
Early or late season snow are both much more fun on a snowboard versus skis.

Traverses really aren't an issue once you've learned how to ride. I often ride with competent skiers and I can
easily take higher lines than they do... but you do need to use your eyes more than skiers do; the consequences of not looking
where you're headed are worse.

afterski wrote:
...Perfect corduroy or powder is the only 2 conditions to be out in.
On a no-board, I'd agree, not otherwise wink
ski holidays
@phil_w, very good!

These days I only really ski. Mostly so I am a more versatile packhorse/one man drag lift for the kids.
snow report
Quote:

Yes...and... I have similar rolling eyes But tele isn't all about tweed jackets any more (thank goodness Very Happy )
snow conditions
Quote:

tele isn't all about tweed jackets

Well no, I did realise that, it was just a joke, so no need to roll your eyes at me
snow report
@phil_w, I love slush, it's not quite powder but it's still good fun. One of the reasons I keep doing the end of season bash.

I've long been thinking about trying snowboarding for a trip, but difficult to commit to being a beginner again while there's the prospect of decent conditions.

If I do take it up then do people think that learning to ride the wrong way would be helpful? E.g I'm goofy but thinking of I tried learning regular then the initial curve would be steeper but if I pick it up then I'll possibly find it easier learning "switch" because switch will actually be what I find more natural....not sure I've explained that very well and definitely not sure if it's sound logic.

As some people are aware, I'm basically a natural athlete so pretty sure I could grasp it quickly enough.
latest report
Quote:

.not sure I've explained that very well and definitely not sure if it's sound logic.

You explained it perfectly well but that doesn't make it sound logic. If you're goofy, learn to ride goofy. Laughing
snow report
@Origen, but then learning switch will be harder. In my head I reason that learning to snowboard will be hard, doing it "backwards" will make it marginally harder, but riding switch will feel more natural. The initial learning is going to feel alien anyway, so may as well take advantage of that to learn something that will also feel alien
snow conditions
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
... In my head I reason that learning to snowboard will be hard, doing it "backwards" will make it marginally harder, but riding switch will feel more natural. The initial learning is going to feel alien anyway, so may as well take advantage of that to learn something that will also feel alien
I think it's a personal choice. My approach is the opposite: if you can't traverse, ride easy lifts, and generally keep up with skiers, I'd focus on riding well in the direction the board's designed to go. No one cares about switch, but that'll be easy to learn once you have the basics dialled. It's all good.

By analogy, skiers could learn a Royal Christie or whatever trick they fancy on day one, but mostly they never bother learning it and maybe no one cares.
snow report
@phil_w, I care about switch though, I'm working on it with skiing and it's something I'd want as a skill on a snowboard (mainly for doing twirly stuff). It's just whether it would actually be an improved way of learning it or whether it would make things more difficult in the long run.
ski holidays
Learning snowboarding the "natural" way is a steep learning curve for the first few days. I don't see much argument for making it even steeper, but some people enjoy tough challenges!! Would you advise people learning to ski to start by going backwards. Though I have seen kids really enjoy showing off to their parents skiing backwards after lessons doing just that!
ski holidays
I’ve been learning skiing. I feel unclean.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy