Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 climb and paraglide off summit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
An extraordinary project now starting. Zeb is the guide I ski with every year and he is doing it with his famous climber girlfriend Liv Sansoz who joined us for a day skiing two years ago. Zeb previously did this from Everest and the highest peak in each continent, including Antarctica, but this might be the most dangerous. We don't want to lose our favourite guide!!

I know this. isn't exactly piste material (move it if you want, moderators) but I wanted to give it max exposure as they are seeking extra funding. They were going to put an English version of this on the web but never did, so I had to do a series of screen captures from the pdf and put them together as a jpg.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which wings are they using?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 10-06-24 14:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If they wanted/needed extra funding then it would have been logical to put an English version on the web.

If they couldn't be bothered to do that, then why should any of the English speaking world bother to help with the finances?

They obviously expect to make a few bob off the project afterwards. Will they refund any "donations", or trouser the income?
Maybe they should seek advance payments from the book/film rights, and put their own money where their ego's are?

Also strikes me as a vanity project, where they are willing to put the lives of local guides and support workers at risk at risk just to get their names in the record books.

No doubt if they get into difficulties, they would expect others to risk their lives to help them (at even more massive expense).

Imv, Similar to the recent discussions regarding Everest.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
brianatab wrote:
Also strikes me as a vanity project, where they are willing to put the lives of local guides and support workers at risk at risk just to get their names in the record books.

No doubt if they get into difficulties, they would expect others to risk their lives to help them (at even more massive expense).

Imv, Similar to the recent discussions regarding Everest.

The local guides and support I assume will be paid? So no more/less than any other ascent that employs locals?

And assume they will insure against rescue costs, or no-one will be coming.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why do you need to spend €3000 on sat communications? If you are making a full documentary about the project anyway I don't see why you need to put regular updates online.

Get rid of the documentary and you can pretty much take $100k off the price. I have zero belief that any documentary made will recoup $100k. Definitely more vanity project than serious economic choice to make a documentary. If you just want to document it on the cheap you can just use a few gopros and publish on YouTube.

They are probably more experienced and "qualified" to climb K2 than many of those there on guided expeditions, so I don't really see them being higher risk than many others. Ironically flying off K2 might be a safer option as you get down much quicker and perhaps less objective danger (although I don't know anything about flying so maybe am vastly underestimating the danger).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Zeb has himself guided groups climbing Everest (he first climbed it when he was 16 with his father - the youngest ever at that time). He just likes adventure and has done several first ski descents when younger. This is just continuing what he likes to do. He is a wonderful ski guide which is his job (along with teaching parapente and climbing and canyoning etc). Not really a way to make lots of money. His snow sense is astonishing and we often take him places he has never been and he finds routes with no other tracks that aren't marked on Fatmap

Similarly Liv. There are lots of films of her climbing and base jumping etc. There was a film on the web of her and two woman friends climbing and then skiing the famous face of the Matterhorn that Cervinia and Zermatt skiers see (!). She became a qualified ski guide last year.

The problem will be spreading out the parachute before taking off and then taking off (they have to have a special lightweight tandem parachute made that they can climb with). You can't do it if there is a strong wind, though you can use the lee slope if there is one. I gather the descent was very rapid in the thin air when he did the same take-off from 20 metres below the summit of Everest with his then wife (they met on the French parapente team). A few years ago Zeb smashed his pelvis on rocks when caught by a gust taking off.

Basically it is them and a photographer, and I presume a couple of porters.

By the way it was my idea to put this on here, he didn't ask me to.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have no objection to its being here, and no objections to their plan, which sounds exciting. I don't see it as a "vanity project" any more than any other big exploring adventure. It's entirely legitimate, and some people have always (thankfully......) pushed the limits. It's not something which I would personally donate funds to (let alone actually do......) but that's beside the point. Nor would I presume to second guess their expedition funding plans!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I have no objection to its being here, and no objections to their plan, which sounds exciting. I don't see it as a "vanity project" any more than any other big exploring adventure. It's entirely legitimate, and some people have always (thankfully......) pushed the limits.

I agree with all that. The vanity project suggestion comes from making a professional documentary of it, and expecting others to fund that.

By all means hire a videographer and all that stuff if the sponsors are paying. Or if you think the documentary will make money in the long term (not necessarily the documentary itself but potentially gets their names out there and attracts more money in future - nims project is the epitome of this, he went from a nobody to pivoting is documentary into one of the most in demand guiding companies), take out a loan and fund it yourself.

I think most of us think it's an interesting project - although like you, nowhere near interesting enough to actually consider funding. It's the asking for money which is a bit uncomfortable for some of us.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A bit of a race with Benji Vedrines who is planning to summit K2 this season in a single push then paraglide back down?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Arno, In the expedition world it doesn't actually matter if someone does basically the same thing before you. You just find something slightly different that makes whatever you did a "world's first" Laughing . Theirs will be a tandem flight and his will be a solo.

Although Vedrines plans to climb it in a single push and may well be going for the fastest ever ascent, which would arguably be far more impressive than flying off the top anyway.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

I have no objection to its being here, and no objections to their plan, which sounds exciting. I don't see it as a "vanity project" any more than any other big exploring adventure. It's entirely legitimate, and some people have always (thankfully......) pushed the limits.

I agree with all that. The vanity project suggestion comes from making a professional documentary of it, and expecting others to fund that.

By all means hire a videographer and all that stuff if the sponsors are paying. Or if you think the documentary will make money in the long term (not necessarily the documentary itself but potentially gets their names out there and attracts more money in future - nims project is the epitome of this, he went from a nobody to pivoting is documentary into one of the most in demand guiding companies), take out a loan and fund it yourself.

I think most of us think it's an interesting project - although like you, nowhere near interesting enough to actually consider funding. It's the asking for money which is a bit uncomfortable for some of us.

But do they, though? I can understand erveryone who isn't very much inclined to donate to other peoples' holidays. But if I understand the above proposition correctly, they are merely searching for corporate partners, which I think is very much legitimate.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy