Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Catered accommodation la plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Could anyone recommend a catered accommodation with flights/transfers included in arrangements in and around La Plagne March 2025?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flights from Scotland required.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would imagine that a tour operator would be your best bet in this case. They tend to have the option to have all the elements you mention combined into one cost.

There will certainly be more experienced heads than me on here, but I’m not sure there are many (if any) companies that offer much in the way of catered accommodation outside of a TO unless you book a hotel independently.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What exactly do you mean by catered accommodation, @GrumpyM?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GrumpyM, we used Ski World for two catered chalet holidays in La Plagne 1800, they do offer regional flights, good value
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have stayed at LaPlagne a few times while self-catering. This worked well between using restaurants and buying cooked food by weight. However the latter was not available last time and our larger group missed sitting down together for an evening meal. There is a big jump in cost from self catering to half board and we tried half board at Val di Fassa last year with a poor outcome. So your experience is required.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's still not entirely clear what you're after, @GrumpyM. You haven't said what was poor about the Val di Fassa experience, which was presumably in a hotel. Nor why your group couldn't sit down together for an evening meal. You said you were self-catering, but you didn't actually do any cooking?

What size is your group? You might be able to take over a whole "catered chalet" - and these are available in different price ranges, from fairly basic to really luxurious. Or if it's not a very big group, might be sharing with others, which can work well and be sociable. But yes, of course having food cooked for you is going to be more expensive than cooking for yourselves!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GrumpyM, we stayed in a fully catered chalet, breakfast, afternoon tea/ coffee and cake, dinner including wine. We shared the chalet with other ski world guests , the first held 14 the second 20, you can take the whole chalet if there are enough of you.
We feel it works out better than self catering as shopping isn't cheap in the alps.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tried Skiworld for early march from Edinburgh but they couldn't help. Saw a good review of a Neilson's hotel at Bell Plagne a couple of years ago but they don't fly from Scotland. Val di Fassa, Grohmann hotel was nice to stay in but we ended up eating out as the restaurant was disorganised and not great food. We had missed eating together as a group of 16 when in self catering apartments but this hotel just wasn't up to the mark. Self catering worked but cooking main meals from scratch was not ever on the cards. Booking a chalet and then separately organising flights and transfers doesn't appeal either. I really like LaPlagne but was looking for someone to recommend a catered solution for a group of about 16 but must fly from Scotland. Maybe too much to ask?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well you seem to have a long list of must haves and be somewhat picky. Rarely do people report food in Italian hotels as being poor so I'm not sure I could recommend anywhere else.

To get your desired package why not look at flights from Scotland and catered chalets available to book as a whole for 16 separately.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good suggestion, there’s ice and fire who have a couple of catered chalets, not used them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
These days there are quite a lot of "independent" catered chalets but not so many through tour operators. Ice and Fire had good reviews from caravanskier a few years ago, IIRC. Of course, if you insist on La Plagne, that also cuts down the options. And when we did a chalet holiday (cheap last minute one, but perfectly OK) in La Plagne years ago we found Plagne 1800 not the most convenient location. And definitely don't go the first week of March unless you specially like lift queues.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GrumpyM, does Les Arcs count as ‘in and around La Plagne’, as it’s part of the same linked ski area?
That would open up more options.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GrumpyM, having stayed in quite a few different hotels around the Dolomites, my first thought was that you must just have been unlucky, as the food that we have been offered is generally very good across the board. A quick squint at the reviews on trip advisor for the Grohmann shows plenty of reviewers complaining about the food.
I wouldn’t let it put you off trying HB again, it can only get better by the looks of it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ask on Chalets Direct for your accommodation requirements and book your flights from your preferred airport.
snow conditions
Ski Olympic in Vallandry was very well run. It has a piste to the door which apparently is always open because it's used by the bashers. The cost was reasonable, and you can ski Les Arcs and La plagne conveniently. It's a very large 'chalet', so a slightly different experience. After using a ski beat chalet earlier in the season last year (never, ever again), the contrast was rather dramatic.
snow conditions
We had several Ski Olympic holidays many years ago and they were certainly very good.
snow report
Quote:

Ski Olympic in Vallandry was very well run. It has a piste to the door which apparently is always open because it's used by the bashers.

I cannot comment on its accommodation but it is definately a good place to stop if you want an inexpensive lunch. IIRC a chilli and rice costs about about 13€ and a plate of chips 6 or 7. The front door is just by the piste so very little walking. The only odd thing about it was that the last time I called in, in April, they had cricket on the restaurant TVs. Never seen that in France before.
ski holidays
@GrumpyM, Independent might work best for you as you get to choose your own flights , we used Chaletsdirect to find independent chalets who usually will do the transfer as well.

Check their bonding and pay by credit card.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy