Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff Lodging

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking (once again) of going to Banff with my sons (now 21 and 1Cool for a trip in March.

Some questions.

We cant get a charter from Scotland to Calgary (I think) though we could go Zoom from Glasgow, for 7/14 days. But due to other issues 7 is probably too short and 14 too long. Probably 10/11 days would be best for us.We probably could get a charter from Manchester, but we have to get there/back. Or we can fly BA or AC from Edinburgh via Heathrow (not my favourite place). The last is probably the most convenient also the most expensive

Can I have some feedback on the charter flights......legroom ,reliability, customer service etc? I can then take a view about doing the drive to Manchester (or more appropriately the drive back, after an overnight flight)

Do I need to hire a car when I get there or will public transport do.......if we get a package I assume the transfer is included.So, do I need a car when I get there......really for travelling to the ski areas. We probably wont go beyond Lake Louise, unless maybe to Kicking Horse if that looks good. Otherwise it will be the local Banff areas.

Where to stay? We generally stay in self catering. We would like a one bedroom and loft type place so we were not falling over each other. Is there anything like that in Banff.......we have done that in Whistler. Any recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Banff isn't as condo intensive as most N American resorts with accomodation mainly in hotels. Plenty of condos down the valley in Canmore though. Suites in hotels might be an alternative and appartments at places like Inns of Banff and Tunnel Mountain Condos.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin, we stayed at the Banff Cedar Court Hotel. It was a motel type place with 'family suites' these had 2 bedrooms separated by a small kitchen area. It also had a swimming pool, hot tub and steam room. There was no bar or restaurant but it was next door to the Caribou Lodge on Banff Avenue. The price was very reasonable, and I think we booked through Inghams, although you could probably book direct. It was about a 5 minute walk to the shops. There was a constant supply of coffee, as they filled it up when they cleaned the roome each morning. The ski bus stopped outside the door and ran frequently to all 3 mountains, although we had a car in with the package. I think we paid a supplement for it. The BA flight prices were quite reasonable last week. I'd also try phoning Ski Independence.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are loads of places in Banff to stay and there are some good nights out to be had, plus lot's of restaurants. It's all walkable, the type of room is very flexible and the rates are very good. Just do a little homework if you're there peak season otherwise you'll be fine on spec. Public transport to/from the ski areas is good but personally I'd say get a 4x4. Gives you that extra flexibility on time. The flip side of that is the driving which gets to be a pain. Accom. in Kicking Horse on spec. is also no problem (and you can do Panorama from there too).

Zoom have a very reasonable upgrade ? Roughly 500 pp.

Don't plan on driving up from Manchester on way back unless there is no other option. Jetlag can really hit you and if it does there is nothing you can do about it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

There are loads of places in Banff to stay

But not many condos: most of the accomodation available (especially throughTOs) is hotel-based.

The Rocky Mountain Resort has condo units, although it's not conveniently situated for getting into town (they do run a shuttle bus, though).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin, I think that the Inns of Banff has some condo type accom. It's a perfectly OK hotel on the edge of town (toward the trans Canada, about 10/15 mins from town centre, in so far as Banff has one) with a swimming pool and a good outdoor hot tub, a perfectly OK regular restaurant, a good Japanese restaurant and a bar of which for some reason I am very fond, despite it being nothing to write home about. It also has a ski hire shop in it, if that's of interest, which seemed perfectly OK to me.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 25-07-06 11:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For cars actually a 2wd (with chains) is not unrealistic as the Trans Canada is kept pretty clear. Can be a bit hairy though getting locked in the "tramlines" made by lorries. Bus is a pretty efficient and relaxed option. KH does a bus/lift ticket combo from Banff so no problem there either. I think Panorama do the same to encourage mid week visitors.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin, I'd recommend a car, otherwise you're reliant on the (pretty good) bus service (free on the tri area pass) to the skiing and you have to suffer the airport transfer, which is a lousy start and end to a ski holiday. Some TOs offer a car instead of a transfer or for a modest supplement. We usually hired a 4x4, more because they're a laugh than because you need one. The one year we hired a 2wd we had the worst weather we experienced in our trips to Banff but we had no significant problem in driving from Banff to Jasper in a snowstorm, without chains; the roads are well cleared, as fatbob says. 4x4s are not much more expensive than a 2wd for your party size and it's a good opportunity to drive about in one without feeling a complete prat; at least in Canada you feel that there's a chance you might actually benefit from 4wd.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy