Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

February (St Gervais) with friends or Easter alone and elsewhere (first time family of four)

Poster: A snowHead
So we're a family of four (Myself...competent intermediate skiier, wife golfing for second time 10 years after the first, and kids first time of 7 and 9 at point of travel).

We have two options for a trip next year and looking for guidance on what would make the most sense.

1. Head to St Gervais with some friends who are part of a bigger group in the February half term

Or

2. Head 'somewhere' in Easter on our own (thinking maybe Cervinia, Le Tour, or Sainte Foy is doing so).

Considerations are:

1. The kids are first timers and will want them to both have friends ideally, but at the very least to be in ski school together with other English speakers
2. To have some time on the slopes with the missus
3. To have decent snow conditions and weather (Easter appeals.for the blue skies and less likelihood of very very cold for the kids)
4. Kids haven't had much exposure to snow so want them to be able to do snowmen/sledding etc when not skiing
5. For there to be a bit to do when we're not skiing.

The bigger group have all been a few times or more before so would more than anything be company off the slopes. We're mindful that February is likely more snow sure but also crazy busy, and we know very little of Saint Gervais in practice....other than looks like it's Gondola up and down since most of the family won't be negotiating a long red route, and also looks like it's a decision whether to stay near the lifts or near the town.

Would love to hear some thoughts and opinions on this, especially pros and cons of St Gervais in February half term, versus maybe Le Tour or Sainte Foy in Easter (first week)...and likely ski school experiences for younger first timers.

Also, we'd look to drive so any pointer on that would be great.

Thanks so much for any thoughts/responses from the community.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
StG is not quite as busy as some of the others in February.
Not sure why you think it’s town or lifts , the lifts are 500 metres from town centre.
Easy drive from autoroute.
Lots of green and blue runs.

Down side is town is low so you might not have snow in town

I know nothing about Easter options
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi @Stubbo79, welcome to SH's, sorry cannot give you any advice about ST.G, as the only time i visited it was when my youngest spangled her knee in megeve several years ago and she was taken down to a clinic there Sad Sad

admittedly I am biased towards the 3 valleys, but my advice if you were thinking of easter would be go to val thorens, as snow sure as you are going to get that time of year, with most accommodation having easy access to the main ski school meeting points.

we always drive out, and though my daughters are late teens/early twenties now, i still make a bit of a road journey of it, and take a leisurely drive down on the Friday, with an overnight stay in Albertville before heading to resort early Saturday morning. but appreciate, this may not work with you due to schools etc.

we have done this a few different ways, with either going on out, on Eurotunnel, super early on Friday morning, or out Thursday eve with a stop a couple hours into France then another one in Albertville. last couple of times we have gone via the overnight ferry from portsmouth to caen on the thursday eve, then travelled down on the friday.

we then overnight somewhere on the way back on the Saturday evening and get a Sunday afternoon crossing

obviously, the more overnights you use adds to the overall expense, but you can pick up a few bargains on booking.com months in advance, with cancellation options if your route/plans change

i know others on here are keen on going out on the Friday evening and driving through the night, which i have done previous years on lads trips, but me and my girls like to travel out and take our time. last trip, my eldest did some of the driving in france, and next time we go my youngest will as well so i can just sit back and relax Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

in my opinion, the main benefit of driving is, depending space and if you are self catering, you can take as much (or as little!!) with you from home in the car, including food, bedding, sleds if you have them, and any other bits and pieces that makes life easier for you when in resort.
you can also do a big shop in a hypermarche before heading up to resort, for the more important things such as beer and wine Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

first few trips, my girls had portable dvd players attached to the front seats, but now they just use their tablets for entertainment to keep them amused.

i also have toll "doofer" (emovis tag) that allows you to drive through the toll booths without having to stop and get a ticket.

as you will no doubt find out, there are no right/wrong ways to do it, just the ones that suit you best.

happy planning
terry
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Stubbo79, this is obviously a big decision with two first-timers and one second-timer. And only you know what will work for them, and in particular the benefit of having friends with them compared with it being family only.

However the need for a gondola up and down to the ski area isn't that big a problem in practice - as @Jonny996 says the lifts are walking distance from the town centre (and are the location of a lot of holiday apartments) as well as being the destination of free shuttle buses from other parts of time. The only thing is that if British half term coincides with French half term (I haven't looked at next year's dates) there will be a lot of people also heading for the morning gondola that gets them to the ski school and you will have to allow for the queues.

In terms of the skiing, for the beginners there is a rather nice long green (easy) run down to the upper gondola station. Plus a blue as they improve. No one can guarantee what a particular beginner class will be like, but the local ESF includes some native English speakers among its instructors and there are also some independent ski schools which focus on the UK market.

So as someone who goes there, I would certainly not rule out St Gervais at half term. It's a nice town to hang out in, even if as @Jonny996 says there is often not snow at town level. Easter is late this year - which means you might need to think of a higher altitude town at that time - but can work well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Stubbo79, Apologies, I should have asked when your February break is?
We are lucky next year as Scottish schools are 8th February, so hopefully it’s going to be empty for us,
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=167136
This will let you see who else will be on holiday your week.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

so hopefully it’s going to be empty for us,

will be French school hols, of course.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think I'd go for Easter, but as @j b says, it's very late so you'll need to go high. It will be MUCH less of a mission driving at Easter than at half term. With four of you in the car it's likely to be a lot cheaper than flying - and people often overlook the high cost of transfers.

St G is a nice town but with kids having snow to play in right outside the door is ideal.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
By Easter I mean the first week of the Easter hols which I think is 5th to 12th of April. So late but not last week of season late.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I probably wouldn't go to St. G at half-term with first-timers because of the crowds and potential for not-great snow as it's sort of low. I do love the town but it rarely snows there.

If you could swing it, I'd go high at Easter. Tignes? One of the Arcs?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pasigal wrote:
I probably wouldn't go to St. G at half-term with first-timers because of the crowds and potential for not-great snow as it's sort of low. I do love the town but it rarely snows there.

If you could swing it, I'd go high at Easter. Tignes? One of the Arcs?

La Plagne (which I don't love overall) is a good option for beginners at Easter too. Some good accommodation options on the piste. Other high resorts have more interesting skiing but that's not an issue for an inexperienced group.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From the snow & busyness point of view I would think Easter would be a good bet. However if the group have children a similar age to yours and they get on well it can be great having moral support from others at this age when learning to ski. Don't think either is necessarily a poor option but they have different advantages.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Stubbo79, I’m a fan of the Evasion Mont Blanc area and have visited several times. St Gervais is a good town, well placed for what the area offers.

Nevertheless, I wouldn’t go at half term, as I think it’s just too busy and crowded to be enjoyable. The lift system isn’t the most modern and queues can be long.

Easter is a better option but comes with a risk of poor snow, or very limited skiing, if recent seasons are anything to go by.

I agree with others that going to a higher altitude area at Easter is a much better bet. Les Arcs, La Plagne, Courchevel 1650, La Tania should all be fine.

If your dates matched the SnowHeads Family Bash in Val Thorens, that could work well for your group. Snowsure, great accommodation, plenty of ski buddies for all, good value.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Re beginers at half term when you do decide,
book lesson asap as the ski schools fill up very quickly in half term weeks!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We’ve booked to go with friends to Belle Plagne that week at Easter. The other family have had one week on snow in total so still beginners really. It’s a good option as a resort but you’d want to be in Belle Plagne, Bellecotte, Villages, Centre or 2000. Lower areas like Montalbert would probably be ok (and can always download) but still run the risk of not having snow at resort level.

And when we booked flights a few weeks ago when they opened with EasyJet they were already very pricey so I’d be looking at driving unless you’ve got a healthy budget.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With the easter holidays being so late next year I'd be looking at somewhere high such as tignes or val thorens. And lots of factor 50.

In most years I would be suggesting easter but for 2025 bite the bullet and go for February. Which week are you planning. It is the middle two weeks that are the busiest.
ski holidays
So looks like we have other newbie friends who can go but only at February so looking at accommodation, have found Chalets in budget...one between Les Houches (5 mins by free bus) and Chamonix (7 mins by free bus) and one that is in Montalbert (75m from the bakery apparently).

Any thoughts on which would be the best to plump for....looks like Montalbert is at higher elevation so maybe more chance of "In Village" snow (or given February half term other than in a very unlucky year, would that likely be fine either way) and the proximity to village centre and lifts over getting a bus is attractive?

Given the group I'd expect the amount of skiing in Montalbert will be fine for a week with 4 kids who are beginners to work around, but interested to know from those who know which might be the best to look at.

Thanks!
snow report
Well, Les Houches is one of the areas in the Chamonix valley most suited to beginners (the other is Le Tour at the far end so not much help from where you found the chalet). You would probably be learning on the slopes near the top of the gondola so village elevation isn't crucial. However there is only 55 km of piste total, some being more advanced.

Montalbert is part of the huge La Plagne ski area, so once beginners have advanced beyond the gentle starter slopes there is lots to explore. And La Plagne is known for its blue runs that are rewarding to learning skiers. That's where I would go. We have never stayed in Montalbert, but we have skiied down there in half term when staying elsewhere in La Plagne and the snow was fine.
ski holidays
I’ve stopped a few times in Montalbert. It’s a lovely little satellite area of La Plagne, and if you’re walking distance from the main lift you are very close to hire shops, supermarket and bars. There’s a nice pizza place and an excellent (Michelin standard) restaurant too.

It does rely on snowmaking for the run back to base but worse case if that’s closed would be to download from Fornelet which remains snow sure the whole season. And there’s a good beginners area at Fornelet too.
ski holidays
@Stubbo79, general rule of thumb is avoid HT or go to Italy. "Easter" or rather when the schools break is a great time to ski, though generally with some decent altitude (to ski, not necessarily to stay).

But if you 'need' to go HT you need to. We did it once and it was OK.

Either way with newbies, young children the advice is to focus on simplicity/location/ski school. In other words you want to make sure there are good ski schools and that you are staying somewhere a short walk to the ski school meet up. Inevitably that will also mean you are close to the lifts. For that reason I would rule out your Les Houches option.

One thing going in Feb does give you is a better chance of snow in the station (altitude dependent of course) for sledging, digging in the snow.

Have you ruled out Christmas btw?
snow conditions
@Stubbo79, out of Montalbert and (close to) Les Houches I’d definitely go with the former.
The area as a whole has more beginner/early intermediate friendly terrain. Also the lift system is much better linked.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy