Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pin Bindings at max. "DIN"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have never run release settings above 8 on any binding. I ski conservatively I'd say- hardly ever fall, let alone pop out of bindings. Current weight is 85kg. Unlikely to go higher.

Now there are a few potential new Pin Bindings (e.g. ATK Crests) available in 8 and 10 Versions- Is it a bad idea to go for the cheaper "8" and set release to max? Or just fine?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
danbre2022 wrote:
Hi,

I have never run release settings above 8 on any binding. I ski conservatively I'd say- hardly ever fall, let alone pop out of bindings. Current weight is 85kg. Unlikely to go higher.

Now there are a few potential new Pin Bindings (e.g. ATK Crests) available in 8 and 10 Versions- Is it a bad idea to go for the cheaper "8" and set release to max? Or just fine?

Thanks!

I drive a Crest 8 pretty hard at 85kg on some 88mm rando skis and it holds up fine. Set to max
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@danbre2022, a Crest 10 heel set to 8 and a Crest 8 heel set to 8 with perform the same so there's no issue there. And the two bindings are equally strong etc. However, the 10 would be the better choice as the fixed toe release tension on the 10 is a little higher than that on the 8 and so more suited to your stats so reducing the chance of a pre-release at the toe. Probably won't make much difference on a narrower ski (like BobinCH's 88mm rando skis) but the wider/stiffer your skis the more it will apply.

Re cost: Whether the Crests you're looking at are the original 'push button brake' version or the more recent and slightly dearer 'AP brake' version, both the 8 din (3-8 ) & 10 din (5-10) models of each variation are the actually same price. So if the 8's are cheaper it may be that you're comparing different versions, ie the Crest 8 and the Crest 10 AP - so you need to sure of exactly what you're getting - which is not helped by ATK's stupidly large range of model variations often reusing the same names!

However, I'd recommend that you wait for a few months as the current four Crest models (as above) are now discontinued and are being replaced by one single Crest model called the Crest 10 (yes, ATK are confusingly reusing an existing model name) which has a 4-10 din range and comes out in the autumn. This new variant combines a new/modified toe which is far more enclosed (so very little chance of icing), the AP brake and, most importantly, has a heel base designed to accept the Evo model Freeride Spacer Kit which is available as an optional extra and which when installed considerably increases the power transmission to the ski. This new Crest comes in at only 295g per ski (versus 280g on the previous versions) and the Freeride Spacer is only an additional 23g per ski.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@danbre2022, "Unlikely to go higher."

Uhhhh, hello real world? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fair enough...leave me some hope though (regarding weight)

the model I am looking at is the C-Crest by Majesty, which appears to be a C-Raider toe with Crest heel, and therefore less delta. I shim bindings all the time, but no shims is nice, too.

The toe spring comment is indeed helpful. The ski is a Kastle TX103, so the extra width argument applies.

That said, waiting equals substantially higher prices these days...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Raider 13, toe shim and FR Pedal/spacer, beautiful binding, and perfect for the ski, whether it's perfect for your budget is another thing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Loving my Raider 12 with toe shims and freeride spacers, married with DPS Wailer 112, what a combo!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How much spacer height and which boots do you guys run?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
4mm toe shims/Scott Cosmos Tour
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy