Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feet pains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Since ive started riding back in 2022 ive always had some form of feet pain.

Initially i started with hire boots but they were always too loose so I ended up getting my own pair of Northwave Freedom which have served me for 2 years but they have some issues.

This year I put in some insoles that I also use in my walking boots and they helped but still could not resolve issue with heel lift and cranking down more and more caused other issues.

I was able to get a set of Burton Imperials (just before they renamed to Photon) which were literally not used and cheap. I tried with my inserts and found it to be even more painful but on the flip side the heel lift was pretty much gone.
I returned to the stock burton inserts and it was so much better but still ended up with pain and numbness on the outer part of my foot just behind my toes.

At the moment im thinking that some of that comes from using Poma lifts and I end up putting so much pressure on my front foot going up, also kills my knee.
Ive also tried riding with the laces slightly looser and not cranking down so much on the main binding strap and that does help

Tricky to find the correct solution.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try remind insoles, but burtons run on the narrow side. You really need to get your feet (both) measured properly with a brannock ideally. Length & width.

I have 1 foot a size longer than the other, but both the same width. Only 1 size, but the foot that is 1 size smaller means I should get wide fitting boot for that foot. Other foot is normal!
Im not going to buy 2x pairs of boots though. Basically, boots are PITA if you are self buying & not getting proper fitting.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your attempting to fix a physical lack of flexion issue in the lower leg chain (partly or wholly) with a credit card buying hardgoods .
This is very very common ...blaming the tools.... not the tool in the boots

Both issues, bootfit and a lack of physical flexion in the lower leg chain are completely different but are bedfellows...you cant just buy hardgoods boots footbeds etc..... and not specifically train for the sport at hand .

Some have it easy....they just need some lower leg chain stretching over time .
Others may need a far greater training consistancy and commitment program in dealing with ones tight lower leg chain.
A lack of flexion causes the footpain ...to the extent of heelift and the foot twisting in the boot this is the footpain ...bootfit is another issue.

Do not overlook exercising/training the Anterior Tibialis.
This info is from some very experienced posters on here that you can count on one hand ie.not the waffling recreationals doing a week or two.
The Poma footpain is a classic sign of a lack of flexion causing the foot to twist in the boot ie "but still ended up with pain and numbness on the outer part of my foot just behind my toes" .
Heelift can be also tighness in the lower leg chain as your dorsiflexion isnt good .

Cem explains it all the best so read all his posts in depth but the nuts an bolts of it all are...specific lower leg flexion training and bootfit .
How you go about those two complex points and to what extent is up to the rider.
Generally everyone will be in a learning curve on both points and be mistaken misinformed on both.... as said its complex .
As a example they say 80% at least will be in oversized boots and mis info is everywhere .

Flexion in the lower leg chain "is a requirement" to Surf and Snowboard well ie you either have flexion or you train to get it .
Surfers were doing yoga way back in the late sixtys so flexion is nothing new but flexion/bootfit is a complex issue to understand .
The best thing is just start physically training/stretching the lower leg and ankle chain and learn about bootfit in depth .
Salesman will just sell you a so called fix that isnt addessing the issues .

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 3-06-24 20:08; edited 9 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^good advice.

Specifically with surface lifts you really don’t need to be putting too much pressure anywhere. It takes practice but the best thing you can do is learn to relax everywhere and let the lift do the hard work. Definitely no death grips on the poma/tbar and keep the legs flexy. A bit more angle on the front binding can help.

Most of my riding for the last 20 years has been on surface lifts of one flavour or another, and thats my experience anyway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ive tried not putting so much pressure on front foot.
At the moment I just end up switching direction for a few rides up etc to balance it out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy