Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier at Easter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

We are planning to embark on our first family ski trip next April to Serre Chevalier, Salle Les Alpes. I know it’s quite low for that time of year but my partner was there at the same time this year and, although by the end of his trip it wasn’t possible to ski down to resort, there was gorgeous snow a bit higher and very empty slopes, so we’re taking the risk!
We will have an eclectic group made up of 3 children (3-12yrs, and 5 adults - two of whom won’t do much skiing at all.
My main question is… does anyone have experience of the facilities on the mountain? Specifically, at the top of the Aravet lift - is there anywhere to base ourselves that offers loos and coffee? Is there a better area to do this if resort level isn’t skiable?
You’d think my partner would know but he is hopelessly in observant and also missed the Aravet lift (where the kids’ lessons will be) entirely!
Thanks in advance xx
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was there in the end of January/start of February heat wave this year. Based on that I would think it would be a great hill for spring skiing. I would go as far as to say that for quite a few reasons (lift layout and variety of terrain) SC is as good as the other big name complexes Killy/Paradiski/3 Valleys that I’ve been to.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This particular year, in many resorts April was better for skiing compared to March.
Usually it is the other way around especially in Serre Che.
I went there a few years ago in January and was enchanted with the domain so we planned a later return for Easter.
I asked the rental shop owner, next to Prorel base station, how is April for quality skiing.
He was very reserved and said it is too sunny and too warm for serious skiing.
Can you go earlier/choose Monetier les Bains as a base for the spa and valley walks in case next April will be vey warm?
Briancon has on old quarter with walls and a steep commercial street which can be fun for half a day.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When our children were young we went to Serre Chevalier for about 6 years in a row in the Easter holidays often for two weeks.
We always had decent skiing conditions and sometimes excellent. It was about twenty years ago and I don't know how things have changed.
My memory is gat there is a restaurant near the top of the Aravet lift and looking at the piste map, two are marked.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have skied Serre Che at Easter school holidays for the past 15+ years, based in Monetier.

Some years (this year included) we have skied fresh snow and the weather has been mixed (in terms of sun/snow).

Most years it has been sunny and not cold, with almost all runs open to ski (the Briancon side of the mountain is quite often closed by Easter).

Some years it has been very very warm, and after lunch not great below mid-station - but there is lots of skiing above mid station. Our approach has been to start early and then have a later lunch, with only those who really want to going back out to ski.

It has always been possible (for us) to ski back down to Monetier village but that is more about the resort working very hard to keep it open (and some years it is on a strip of snow a few metres wide!)

You can usually always get down to Chantemerle (Luc Alphand piste) and Villenueve (Casse du Boeuf piste) until season end, although these runs can be more challenging.

As someone else has said, there are two restaurants at the top of L'Aravet. There is also a good spot "Le Bivouac" at the top of the Casse du Boeuf chairlift, and the mid station "Serre Ratier" on the gondola from Chantemerle is always very popular with a few options for food/drink.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks so much everyone - amazing advice, much appreciated!

We had elected to stay in Villeneuve because it looked like there was a bit for for the kids to do after skiing (swimming etc). What is Monetier like for non-skiing activities for kids? And do any of the ski schools start from there?

Also, does anyone know anything about Bez? There’s so great accommodation there.

Thanks All x
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jessjaw wrote:
Thanks so much everyone - amazing advice, much appreciated!

We had elected to stay in Villeneuve because it looked like there was a bit for for the kids to do after skiing (swimming etc). What is Monetier like for non-skiing activities for kids? And do any of the ski schools start from there?

Also, does anyone know anything about Bez? There’s so great accommodation there.

Thanks All x

Monetier has a big thermal spa complex including pool, nice village. New Generation ski school used to be there and have an excellent reputation and there will definitely be an esf.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ha - I used to work for New Gen! They are great Very Happy

I’ll do some more research. Thanks so much x
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
New Generation still operate from Monetier (Mel who runs it also arranges accommodation - see eurekaski.com) - and ESF as well. I think there is also an ESI (ecole ski international) at the bureau in Monetier village.

Ecole Buissonniere operate from Villeneuve are well regarded too if you prefer to stay there.

Le Bez is a small village which forms part of the Villeneuve area. Nearest lifts would be Pontillas/Casse du Boeuf from memory.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking at the website New Gen in Monetier may now be a one man outfit. So possibly only privates, though Gavin is a really good instructor and nice guy from my lessons with him many years ago.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@willh and @T Bar, thanks for the heads up.
Without any hesitation, Gavin Crosby is one of the kindest, sharpest and most talented ski instructor I was lucky to have lessons with.
Another reason to return to Serre Chevalier next winter
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Totally agree - Gavin is awesome. He taught all my kids, as did Darren Turner - another top British instructor.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy