Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help: 3-4 day skii trip France

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Could anyone suggest a cheap 3-4 day skii holiday in France? We're going on 16 Dec 2024, and looking for accommodation, skii passes and equipment hire for 2 people.

We're unsure about travel to the resorts from Charles De Gaulle Airport, so help would be appreciated in this regard.

Thanks in advance. Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@WillemSkii, why CDG airport? It's a fair old way from skiing. That time of the season you're realistically looking at the higher resorts in France, Val d'Isere, Tignes or Val Thorens would be my choice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very strange first post. Nobody's going to be able to offer any realistic advice if you don't supply any information. Starting with: where are you flying from that CDG is your only option, and why would you be looking to spend at least another two days travelling from and back to Paris when you only have 3-4 days to play with?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@WillemSkii, I am making the assumption that having chosen France as your desired destination, you have selected CDG airport as the main intercontinental hub in France, so maybe you are flying in from outside Europe.
If that's the case, then I suggest you look at Geneva as an alternative airport. OK it's in Switzerland not France, but it is the preferred airport for many French resorts.
@swskier, has identified the best resorts in France at that time of year but all of these will likely require private transfers unless you are lucky enough to find flights that align with scheduled bus transfers - not sure how frequent they are midweek at that time of year.
Does it have to be France? Austria might be a better bet to use the train network from the airport and reduce cost.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies.
@swskier, we're arriving then from South Africa, that's why CDG.
Thanks for the recommendations, will check them out.

@Chaletbeuroc, we're newbies, never been to France. Thought there might be a skii resort in decent distance from CDG airport that makes sense to visit, to make it worthwhile.

We have time, but also have family to visit, hence only max 4 days.
We obviously will decide if it's feasible, depending on logistics and help like you guys.
Thank you
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DCG thank you.
Yes, coming from RSA.
We already booked flights, as we are visiting family in France. We're basically looking at options, unfortunately only in France yes.
Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate that.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@WillemSkii, welcome to SHs Happy

If you can add a CDG-GVA return that makes life a whole lot easier (or indeed feasible). Nothing easily reachable from CDG in your time frame without flying. (there are frequent CDG-GVA flights).

From GVA, per @swskier's list, although I'd add Verbier in. It has the added benefit of public transport (nice frequent trains) from GVA.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Awesome, thanks for the info!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:

From GVA, per @swskier's list, although I'd add Verbier in. It has the added benefit of public transport (nice frequent trains) from GVA.

Only reason I left this off the list is the thread was titled France, otherwise i'd second this suggestion!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get the train from Paris to Bourg-Saint-Maurice and ski in Les Arc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@HilbertSpace thank you so much.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@WillemSkii, from Paris you're around 7hour drive from Tignes, Val d'Isere and Val Thorens.

If you want to go via public transport you could probably do it via trains/buses but it's a full days travel as well.

It looks as though Air France run regular flights between CDG and Geneva, and that might be your best/quickest option, but you're only saving a couple of hours if anything vs driving.

Either way, CDG is not remotely convenient for a ski trip.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swskier thank you. Yeah we are fully aware (booked flights and afterwards thought to go skiing if possible).

Great advice. Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, from Paris this you're about 4.5hrs on a train to the Tarentaise.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sugarmoma666, yes on the direct, plus the train from CDG to Gare de Lyon (guessing that's where it leaves) plus another 45-60mins transferring up to Val T, Tignes, it's not too far off 7hrs in total with all of that in there.
snow conditions
1. Les Arcs
2. La Plagne
3. Tignes
snow report
@WillemSkii, if you're travelling to see family, will the ski trip start and finish from CDG Airport or somewhere else?
snow report
Your logistics won’t be cheap. For a 3 day ski you will need full 5 days
snow report
@Mooney058 thanks, appreciated.
latest report
Thanks all for the previous responses as well. You're helping me a lot.
latest report
swskier wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Only reason I left this off the list is the thread was titled France, otherwise i'd second this suggestion!

Thinking the same, searching train from Paris to Verbier ... Paris to Chamonix (same route) gives those two high altitude ski area for season start. Importantly both direct accessibility from train.

Depending on budget, piste severity etc, verbier has most boxes ticked with some of the best snow surety early season. Looks about 5~7 hrs from Paris total journey.

Tarantaise I know is great, convenience of travel though, meh Toofy Grin also a big fan of Les Arc and with that connection up by funicular, but feel Verbier would take preference early season over LA.
snow report
@ski3, Verbier does not tick the “cheap” box noted by the OP
snow conditions
If you can get a flight to GVA then Les Contamines might tick the box as its only a max of 1 1/2 hours by rental car. Its not overly high but doesn’t take much snow fall to be skiable and is not expensive.
ski holidays
Awesome, thanks all. Good insights
snow report
@ski3, Chamonix might be directly accessible by train but it adds about 3 hours from Geneva to the trip …
ski holidays
@under a new name, thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy