Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One Last Hurrah, and that's a wrap

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What should have been a great ski-tour season has been severely hampered by the atrocious weather, so much rain along with warm temps; and all the more frustrating given the huge amounts of snow at altitude.

Yesterday there was a break in the weather so was out with the road bike to cycle up to the Lautaret and then on up towards the Col du Galibier road, which they're working on to open by the end of the month, and see how far they've managed to get.

The walls of snow where they've cut through were very impressive!

I managed to get to around 2,300m

http://youtube.com/v/WItM8x0czJQ

And then once back down, like last year I hatched a plan to take the e-mtb back up and chance a ski-tour as the snow looked so good, but would very much depend on overnight temps and whether the snow would go through the all-important freeze-thaw process.

And this morning temps were 4 degrees warmer than I hoped but still decided to go for it and parking up at the Lautaret at 08:30 snow in the shade was hard, so I might be lucky along with a chill wind and a lot of cloud, in fact I did think that the snow would not transform as I was skinning up.

Cycling up that early there were so many marmots around the place and this guy was really calm even though I had Ullr with me, though Ullr didn't see him until the last minute.

I wasn't too sure if they'd be working on the road being a weekend but as I was locking the bike up so the teams arrived and started up the ploughs.

Cloud came and went as I climbed and at the transition I had to wait for the cloud to clear.

The ski down was way better than I expected and only the last 15% which you traverse anyway had gone ridiculously soft so quickly.

Video short is Ullr and me on the emtb and then the snowplough working on the road.

http://youtube.com/shorts/Zu8HpCQkze4

So think that's it as I'm off down to the lake next week, though again weather is looking grim.

If we do get a cold snap along with overnight freezing then there's enough snow up there but think that's a big ask?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy