Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French speaking ski village for a year.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
jujujuju wrote:
T Bar wrote:
Briancon covers quite a few of those attributes. Maybe more town like than villagey but very much small town friendly vibe. Stayed there for a season about 20 odd years ago and got friendly with a franco-american couple though their children were younger than yours.

Thanks I will look into Briancon- you would do Briancon over the smaller villages nearby?

I like Briancon but I think @Weathercam has a better handle on the current situation. It is a matter of choice and he knows the area better than most.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidof, just my opinion that Bozel doesn't feel like it's squeezed into the cleft at the bottom of the valley. Bozel has a good vibe, though the lack of lift is, of course, the downside.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof wrote:
@Perty, in that case why not also look at Brides les Bains with a lift into the three valleys but a pleasant village (at least in the summer) ?

@Origen, Beaufort may be a better bet than les Saisies given what you say. Good cycling, excellent ski touring - through to early June on the Col de la Roselend, some cross country (well lots if you take the Saisies pass) and a small ski area plus the Espace Diamant is on your doorstep at Bisanne. Plus there is a college as well as a Primary school. Just remote enough - about 20 minutes into Albertville and beyond to civilisation. In fact I think we've cracked it, Beaufort it is.

Shamefully I've never made it to Beaufort and it sounds great. I've mused about ski touring over from Les C (via Rochers des Enclaves), staying the night and coming back by some combination of taxi/lift/skinning.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know Beaufort wellish. I have to say it can be a bit bleak in mid-winter, and often very cold when there's an inversion. It's lovely in summer - full of flowers. It's quite a wealthy little place - I believe they get lots of dosh in return for having their pastures drowned to create Roselend dam. And the Areches-Beaufort ski area is well worth visiting (and now we have a splendid trip report from Denfinella setting out all the details).

Anyone thinking of living in Beaufort, or nearby, would need to be sure to be on the sunny side of the valley - the Bisanne side. The adret, rather than the ubac.

There is a distressing amount of Japanese knotweed down there.....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My guess would be that kids living in Beaufort would mostly ski at Arêches-Beaufort, this might make it more complicated to decide which lift passes to buy for a family.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy