Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is driving to Alps / Val Cenis scary?!?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Convinced family to take a last minute Easter trip to Val Cenis. Everything booked, thanks to snowheaders! Planning to drive.

Wife is worried that the route to Val Cenis will be scary once we get into the Alps--twisty roads, steep drop offs, all in a British vehicle. Will that be the case? Or will it be more like a small British A road?

Trying to figure out best approach, and what to expect.

Thank you!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not driven to Val Cenis specifically, but mountain roads are perfectly safe as long as you're prepared.

If there's snowfall that hasn't been cleared then you need to understand how to drive in poor conditions and have the necessary equipment.

Locals can be a bit crazy on the mountain roads so just stay relaxed and don't feel pressured by tailgating or dangerous overtakes - look after yourselves and imagine everyone is an idiot (basically a heightened version of normal driving mindset).

Generally, they're like an A-road. Just a bit twistier, so keep your gear changes smooth and slow down/change gear early for corners (especially inside corners).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 26-03-24 9:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val cenis is probably one of the easiest drives to do. Motorway all the way from Calais to Modane then an easy mountain road for about 20km with hardly any drop offs or switch backs.
We done it in February half term and it was a doddle.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val Cenis is one of the easiest resorts to reach in the Alps. Motorway to Modane. Pleasant valley A road to Val Cenis.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's not scary.

Most of the route is on dual carriageways at the bottom of wide valleys.

The last 30 minutes or so after Modane continues along the bottom of the wide Maurienne valley along a main road, similar to a large A-road in the UK. There's no drop-offs because you never leave the bottom of the valley.

You can easily use Google streetview to see all of the route where you'll be driving (this link is for the road approaching Val Cenis).

https://maps.app.goo.gl/aiD6ZY3gskWRhyWV8
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It’s an easy trip up to Val Cenis…motorway through The Maurienne Valley then you pick up the local road through Modane up towards Val Cenis. It’s an easy road with just a few twists and turns and only really one climb when you reach Termignon before dropping back down to Val Cenis itself.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whew!

Thanks for the assurance that we're not going to be stuck hanging off a cliff!

Looking forward to the trip--will be the first one when we're all skiing together as a family.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Key thing to remember is to drive and take things at your own pace. There are lots of regular drivers who know the mountain roads better and so go quite fast. Can be a little intimidating. Sometimes, if possible I pull over (if safe to do) and let them pass. Alternatively if there's a safe stretch coming up, slow down a bit and indicate for them to overtake. If not, I just remember to focus on my driving, not theirs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
piece of wee wee
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Atlanticsnow, After the M25 and M20 the roads in France are not scary.

The reason massive drops off and difficult sections are shown in films is because they are dramatic. The film makers search hard for these roads. They are the exception. I cannot think of any even vaguely dramatic sections driving to the French Ski resorts, certainly not Val Cenis. But there are some beautiful sections.

Driving a RHD vehicle is fine.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No Val Cenis is annoyingly flat to drive up to I love a twist and turn was sorely disappointed on my first trip there a few weeks back wonder how it gets to 1400 metres must ascend at some point
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like Val Cenis is pretty straight forward, not been but top of list for next year BUT the one thing I would say, from quite scary experience is have a look at the map before you do the final stint and don't just blindly follow the Sat Nav. We drove to L2A last year and blindly followed the Sat Nav which ended up with us driving up a very narrow road with big hairpins and massive drops. Knew it was wrong straight away but with cars behind us and no where to turn we had to see it through. Thankfully my wife is a great driver. But this could have easily been avoided with a bit better preparation.

Have a great time
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hang on a minute, lads, I’ve got a great idea...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Atlanticsnow, driving on mountain roads in a UK right hand drive vehicle is, in some respects, easier than a left hand vehicle I find. Due to being on the same side as the drop when driving, so you know really well how close to the edge you are.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

look at the map before you do the final stint and don't just blindly follow the Sat Nav.

very good advice. Especially if your sat nav defaults to "shortest route". Skullie
ski holidays
Although the advice to check the Sat Nav with a map is sensible there are probably very few alternatives to Val Cenis unless you were coming from Italy and trying to drive over the closed col or via the Tarentaise with their closed cols. The drive as everyone says is very straight forward though on peak weekends there can be traffic around Chambery etc.
snow report
johnE wrote:
I cannot think of any even vaguely dramatic sections driving to the French Ski resorts

you need to explore a bit more

http://youtube.com/v/kllFYrz5xjg?feature=shared
snow report
At the considerable rsk of initiating the usual drift, you might also consider getting a French autoroute toll device (see below for UK retailers) and a Crit'Air sticker, if you don't have one.

Emovis (Liber-t as was)
Bip&Go
Ulys-Vinci
Eurotunnel (as an Emovis partner offer*)
ATMB

*Various discounts on the standard membership and fees. Requires a Eurotunnel booking reference. Overall, they vary in the specific details of what and how they charge: the differences aren’t huge, but you’ll need to research them to see which suits you best. Apologies if any of the above links are stale.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 26-03-24 16:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I wouldn't move heaven and earth to get a toll device - just wave a credit card out the window. Easy if you have a passenger. There aren't many toll stations en route.
snow report
And so it starts .... Madeye-Smiley

What are the odds we'll also kick off a discussion around snow chains in spring?
snow conditions
Having a tag saves a little time at each of - what? About 5 péage gates? Queues not likely to be great at Easter. Not nearly as important as tea bags, a couple of decent knives and some carefully thought out bits and pieces for meal prep, if staying in an apartment. And if it's snowy, not as important as snow chains or socks.
snow report
Origen wrote:
I wouldn't move heaven and earth to get a toll device - just wave a credit card out the window. Easy if you have a passenger. There aren't many toll stations en route.

Agree completely, can be completed from Calais with only two toll "zones" and as the family is travelling Easter, there's no point in sweating about it in all practical measure.

Tag not essential for this time, maybe convenient if more journeys are taken through France etc, its fuss free with a credit card.
latest report
LaForet wrote:
And so it starts .... Madeye-Smiley

What are the odds we'll also kick off a discussion around snow chains in spring?

Let me guess, you're going to regale us with the mystery "brit" Bentley/Range Rover trying to follow you through the fast gate as usual ? Toofy Grin
snow report
Make sure the brakes work.

Don't drive too fast.

This was 2015 in Austria.

ski holidays
Thanks @Whitegold, really helpful. rolling eyes
latest report
Told you winter tyres aren't that good!
latest report
Orange200 wrote:
Hang on a minute, lads, I’ve got a great idea...
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Gitty wrote:
Told you winter tyres aren't that good!
Very Happy

Think that one's on backwards Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are also heading to val cenis this Friday. Have driven to the alpes already on a few occasions but this will be out first trip there. I've briefly looked at the route and not one bit concerned. Biggest worry is stopping the kids fighting in the back.
I'll have chains in the car but 99% sure I'll not need them
Fully expect the most stressful driving to be the Portsmouth to Dover leg
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:

If chains are needed, can I get them in France, or do I need to source them in UK first?

Have literally never used chains before . . .
snow conditions
I did the drive last Easter with my 2 kids. Very easy, as others have said. Even the bit after the motorway wasn't in any way bad. No low lying snow at that point, so no issue for chains etc (I did have them), but really a very easy drive.
latest report
Atlanticsnow wrote:
LaForet wrote:

If chains are needed, can I get them in France, or do I need to source them in UK first?

Have literally never used chains before . . .

Have a look on amazon for some chains. On our recent trip I ordered a set for a good price and put them in the boot and didn't use them. Sent them back to Amazon as soon as I got home home for a full refund!

I highly doubt you will need them but best to have just incase.

Someone will be along in a minute to tell you you also need winter tyres!......
latest report
@Atlanticsnow, panic not....this is by no means a straightforward question. The "ideal" situation is that you get chains now and practice putting them on in the unlikely case that you need them. I've not driven to Val Cenis but I've done lots of alpine driving and put on chains lots of times. In your situation, given the easy drive and not having any chains, I think I might ask around skiing friends and neighbours to see whether they have any chains I could borrow. Note that size is critical. And then practice putting them on.

Assuming I couldn't borrow chains (or snow socks, which are supposedly easier to put on but I found a pain the only time I tried) I would then check once again on the weather forecast then almost certainly decide to just go without. If you have all season tyres with the "mountains" symbol on, that satisfies the legal minimum requirement.

The worst that can then happen is that you will know because you have checked the local forecast that there could be heavy snow on the day. And have to sort out socks (probably easiest for a beginner!) or chains, in France. So you could be delayed - if the snow is very heavy the police will not allow you up the mountain without them but given the description of the road to Val Cenis that's vanishingly unlikely).

There are people here who will tell you that by going without chains you will be recklessly endangering the life of your family and of other innocent motorists on the roads around you.

What you will ACTUALLY be doing is what most people going up the mountain are doing; hoping for the best and being sensibly cautious and responsible about thinking how to respond to unusual weather!

And heavy snowfall at the beginning of a ski holiday is good, isn't it?

This seems like a long and complicated answer but beware of the simple ones. Beware of people who say "no chance of needing chains, you'll be fine" or that you must absolutely spend the last few frantic days before you leave sourcing chains and working out how to put them on!
snow conditions
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'm getting a reasonably priced Goodyear set off amazon, prime delivery tomorrow (driving Friday). I think they're technically required by French law (?), and better safe than sorry.

Plus I now know the vehicle's tire size!
ski holidays
@Atlanticsnow, It’s the end of March the spring has been warm and the Tarmac retains the heat , I’m in Sainte Foy it’s been snowing moderately all day and the Tarmac is still black . Sainte Foy is at 1550m vs Val Cenis at 1400m . The Snow Chain rule finishes on the 31st March unless you are arriving in the dark I really wouldn’t worry .
ski holidays
Did VC in January*. You will have no trouble at all. The 'small British A road' scenario is, unlike other alpine arrivals, non existent. Nice little resort, hope you have a great time. Visit Lansvillard, which is linked.

*Snow was poor, but still a nice little resort.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy