Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fleece chest pockets - what for?

Poster: A snowHead
Ideally wondering as a few fleeces I've owned for years have a very distinct chest pocket.

My wife bought a new fleece over the weekend and that had the same. So I'm assuming it's designed/sized for something pretty specific, but what?

quick google came up with 3 examples.

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Keeping your phone in for security and easy access
That's what I tend to do. On a similar basis that's where unfashionable pocket shirts come in handy on days in the office.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, I did think that but it's way too small for a standard iPhone 14 on my Ortovox
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I keep cash and credit cards in it, my money likes to be warm Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
keep your cash dry
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Keeps the hip flask nearer to the correct orifice.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For the ace of spades that you chuck on the prone body of the skier/snowboarder you just beat up for whatever slight they committed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Phone, from back in the day when phones actually fitted in pockets. Sore point for a small female - smaller clothes mean smaller pockets, and my phone hasn't fitted in many of my pockets for years. For me, that pocket usually has a tissue in it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@karin, buy a smaller phone? They do exist. I don’t want too big a phone for exactly this reason, that I can’t get it into a trouser pocket. Some of them are getting on for a tablet sized device.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ster wrote:
@karin, buy a smaller phone? They do exist.

Not so much these days - at least not if you want a secure, supported smartphone :-{

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/03/the-asus-zenfone-11-ultra-abandons-the-small-phone-market/

Seems the market for sub-six-inch devices is...
too small Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ster wrote:
@karin, buy a smaller phone? They [*DID] exist.

I have owned or borrowed:
Motorola Defy+
Sony ZX3 Compact
Sony XZ1 Compact
Apple iPhoneSE
Samsung S10e
...all under 6" but all gone & not replaced with anything suitably small - and as I noted, the ZenPhone 10 has now gone the way of all tech.

Maybe pockets will just have to evolve?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just get a Musk chip implanted into your head?

There must be some small smart phones left or buy second hand and nurse it along until pockets grow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I moved from the XZ1 Compact to the iPhone 13 mini (Mrs NBT has just done the same) but even Apple have abandoned the small form factor phone. Interestingly, I recently read that they did so based on poor sales for that model against higher projections - only to find out that sales overall have gone down by the same kind of amount, so it may have been a general market change rather than people not wanting a small phone. Personlly, I'm hoping to make this phone last several years and hope that a replacement becomes available
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Excellent snowheads thread drift into the merits (or not) of smaller phones within 3 hours of posting Smile I ain't changing my phone size, and will continue to never use the pocket!

@nbt, my Mrs is an iPhone mini fan but she thinks the standard 14 is pretty decent weight wise and not that much larger overall
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maybe the pocket is to give them somewhere to embroider the logo.

Strikes me as pretty useless having a pocket on a fleece midlayer
ski holidays
I had one of the Sony's for about 4 years, then the S10e for a similar time, and even that was bigger than a lot of my pockets. I'm now on an S23, which is slightly bigger Sad . I've just evolved into not putting my phone in my pocket unless it's a coat.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, I did think that but it's way too small for a standard iPhone 14 on my Ortovox

Not sure in what world an iphone14 is viewed as 'standard', but over the years these pockets have tried to keep pace with bigger and bigger smartphones, but clearly (most?) outdoor clothing manufacturers don't insist that you buy a new and improved model each year so a lot of kit may lag behind the phone size increases a bit, of perhaps have simply decided that enough is enough.
latest report
Nope you are all wrong.

It’s for the car park ticket. Easy to find at the end of the day.

That and nothing else.
snow report
Fags / vape
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Excellent snowheads thread drift into the merits (or not) of smaller phones within 3 hours of posting Smile

I couldn’t better the use already mentioned for credit cards or folding (thats the only use I’ve be able to make of them when wearing a something with one of those pockets) until the parking ticket so there didn’t seem much mileage in discussing the pocket much further.
snow report
@valais2, that’s a good one, but if you sweat and it gets wet and soft it might not let you out Wink
latest report
@Bob, @Gored, who takes cash to a ski resort, contactless on phone/watch is what works for me!
snow report
Lunch today was in a mountain restaurant that doesn't even take cards, and certainly not contactless. No euros = no food, or drinks!
ski holidays
@ecureuil, where was that?
latest report
Keep 40 euros tucked in my iPhone case
latest report
We found one like that up above Plaine Dranse in PDS last year. Last week we tried to have the last end of day vin chaud/beer in the Lindarets bowl in PDS and they'd only take cash cos they'd already cashed up the tills. So it does happen.
latest report
Official name for the pocket is --- A Napoleon
latest report
@kitenski, just above Bruyeres, Les Menuires
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lift pass, my jacket has no pocket on sleeve, works perfectly well with a slight dip and twist move.
snow report
karin wrote:
We found one like that up above Plaine Dranse in PDS last year. Last week we tried to have the last end of day vin chaud/beer in the Lindarets bowl in PDS and they'd only take cash cos they'd already cashed up the tills. So it does happen.

Yes, there's a couple around there that don't do cards, and one of the two just below the top of the Linga bubble. I think that all of the Swiss side restos take cards, but even so I would never venture out without at least enough to cover lunch if needed. (And having become very much Swissified after living here for so long I would feel naked if I didn't have my wallet with me, containing at least a couple of hundred chuffs, at all times).
snow conditions
I think it's fine for people to decide against carrying cash, provided they don't complain if they run up against a situation where there's no other way of paying. But in the breast pocket in a fleece I'd be unlikely to have more than a tissue.
latest report
Compass... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Perfect for asthma inhaler.
Or dumb phone.
Or two snack/small chocky bars.
Packet of chewing gum.
Car keys.
Lip salve.
Packet of tablets.
(Not all at once rolling eyes - and all secured by small cabinet to bit of cord through zip pull.)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy