Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your Resort Recommendations…please!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi SnowHeads,

Recently returned from the Arlberg and looking to plan next years trip.

Usually go with a group of mates, intermediate +, and we head for the big resorts with plenty of miles of piste. This time, I’ll be taking the family, including at least four total beginners. So I’m after your recommendations for a resort with a sub-2 hour transfer time, village charm, at least 200km of piste and well suited to newbies. We’ll be flying out January/February (not half term) 2025.

The Dolomites, specifically Alta Badia, would suit us well I think, can you point me in the direction of good, fairly priced accommodation there?

Courchevel is another town we’ve stayed in that would fit the bill, if we can find something that isn’t astronomically priced. Again, is there a chalet there that you enjoyed staying at?

Or is there a resort that I’m overlooking? Let me know!

Oh and I just put up a review of St Anton in the trip reviews/reports section if anyone’s interested.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is the 200km of piste a deal breaker? As that does limit the number of resorts somewhat. Also depends what your budget is like, I would suggest Val D’Isere but can get pricey for a whole family (I realise it’s more than 2 hours from GVA but doable in 3 with hire cars or a private transfer).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@fox15, how about La Tania, cheaper than Courchevel loads of accom options here https://www.latania.co.uk/resort/accomm.htm , personally stayed with Ski Hame https://www.skihame.co.uk/la_tania/index.htm and Family Friendly https://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/ in La Tania and would go back to both.

Or see if anything via this website, I used them once for a place in Meribel, the owner of the site was super friendly and helpful, and he appears to have a few different properties on here https://agencecvr.com/en/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serre Chevalier has some attractive bits and would suit your requirements short transfer from Turin a bit longer from other airports.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avoriaz, Morzine, Les Arcs, La Thuile or La Plagne.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@fox15,
What sort of group size are you talking?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Somewhere in the Paradiski might be a good bet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's always a problem when people demand huge extent of pistes with "village charm". I wouldn't describe La Plagne as having village charm. For "four total beginners" the requirement for VERY easy access from accommodation to the ski school meeting place trumps just about any other criterion, IMHO! Some (not all) parts of La Plagne can certainly provide that.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Origen, Agreed, 200km of piste and village charm doesn't really work does it, but he's been to St Anton, clearly found it a challenge and prefers motorways so that's why I suggested the above, who knows where village charm exists these days, perhaps 25-30 years too late to the party. Was going to suggest Ischgl, skiing would be great but that'd give them a shock if they think St Anton is lively!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stay in Oz en Oisans, as part of the Alpe d'Huez region. Really car free village charm, great ski area, lots for beginners to do and others.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fly to Salzburg and have a look at somewhere like Flachau and Wagrain. I'd say Wagrain has a more villagey feel to it than Flachau.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If we ignore this season then late Jan./pre-Half Term Feb. should see snow everywhere in the Alps so no worries on that front.

You say "family" and "not Half Term". Are we talking "too young for school", "taking them out of school", or "adult" children in the group?
- For children I'd echo @Markymark29's suggestion of Avoriaz and @Middleagedskier's "Alpe d'Huez but staying in Oz" suggestions.
- For adult children though I'd maybe say Morzine over Avoriaz and Alpe d'Huez, staying in Alpe d'Huez as while Avoriaz isn't bad there's a lot more/better nightlife in Morzine and while I don't know how good it is in AdH I do know there's zero nightlife in Oz!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Saalbach.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You mentioned Alta Badia. I think it's an intermediate's paradise, and more difficult stuff is nearby. I stay in San Cassiano, half board, €130/night for a single.

I mostly agree with your review of St.Anton, that wasn't the place for you. San Cassiano is the opposite of St.Anton! Other AB villages have a little more going on.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Middleagedskier wrote:
Stay in Oz en Oisans, as part of the Alpe d'Huez region. Really car free village charm, great ski area, lots for beginners to do and others.

Would agree with this. Was there 2 years ago. 6 of us and we're all decent skiers but the village seemed well equipped for beginners and access to AdH for the more experienced.

Don't think it meets the sub 2hr transfer time though.
ski holidays
Oz en Oisans can be 2 hrs from Lyon outside of the really busy Saturdays, or 1.5 hrs from Grenoble…
ski holidays
Our group has been to Saalbach, Morzine and Flachau and had a great time, so agree with those recommendations.
We used Selva as our base in The Dolomites (quicker transfer from Innsbruck) and had a blast.
You could also add Kitzbuhel to your list, although would need the area pass to push it over 200kms. If that is too pricey, Kirchberg or Westendorf might be decent alternatives.

I would say that all of the above are ‘pretty’ villages but, as ever, you will be compromising a bit on height. If you go mid season there should enough decent snow though..
ski holidays
Les Saisies, in the Espace Diamant, has 195 kms of linked pistes and is pretty snow-sure in late January or first week of Feb (French holidays start second week of Feb). It's an attractive village with lovely scenery and ideal skiing for beginners with an easy way down from all the lifts out of the village. The more experienced skiers can head to linked Notre Dame de Bellecombe and Praz sur Arly with varied and usually uncrowded pistes. It depends what sort of accommodation you want. Les Saisies has a vast choice of self catering accommodation from basic to positively luxurious. This is an example of the latter, if you have a big budget. https://www.chaletladakh.com/en/ Few hotels. The Calgary is good, but I think it's expensive!
snow report
Thanks for your reccomendations, I'll be sure to check them out

"Village charm" probably wasn't the best phrase. What I mean is somewhere that is traditional, walkable and pretty, where non skiers can enjoy spending the afternoon. Les Arcs and La Plagne don't really fit the bill for me as they were purpose built for the resort. Although the skiing and lift system in the Paradiski area is excellent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy