Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any point in taking space saver spare wheel?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
When I had a puncture from running over a nail, and changed the wheel in the covered parking for our apartment (flat dry concrete floor made the job easy enough, in a mucky lay-bye a piece of flat planking to stand the jack on can be handy) a garage in Albertville mended it for 20 euros. It was a good Michelin winter tyre. Still on the car, as far as I know (the car is in the ownership of my son now - I gave it to them during lockdown).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thank you to everyone for all the valuable insights and advice.

We will for sure take the space saver spare, and I will also source a tyre repair kit.

Car is being delivered on Thursday and will have some all-seasons fitted before we go (less than 2 weeks left to go), and get some new chains as well. The car does come with 2 year free breakdown cover which includes Europe, which is nice I suppose.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Following on from johnE, if, when trying the wheelnuts before going away, you cannot undo them (not unusual!) Google Screwfix and "breaker bar" to see what is the professional's way of uundoing/doing up wheel nuts sensibly. You will also need the correct size of socket (typically 19mm).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hope you have a good easter trip @ski_free, now you've the important details fixed Very Happy

It's a nice road trip with the optimism of skiing added to it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For anyone wanting to carry a more leveraged solution, this is a very effective and not too high cost option

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332275525470

Paired with a socket to match, VAG group cars are normally 17mm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284902144717 very good durability for price, with overall length and external diameter to allow reach into wheel recess variables.

Obviously you'll need to check your own socket requirement dimensions for vehicle.

These are things I've used and got others to buy for this emergency provision.

Halfords "advanced" tools are also very durable and easily available for many. The breaker bar needs to be 600mm / 24" to be easily effective for difference in operator strength.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@abc, @ski3,

I have just been reading through this thread and wondered why nobody had mentioned plugging kits. I have recently bought one and am going to practice on an old wheel and tyre as my new to me car doesn’t have a spare. Glad to hear they work well.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy