Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA ski carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys. Just a quick question. Anyone recently flown with BA with skis. Flying to Geneva and wondering if my boot bag is included with my skis with them. I’ve booked my ski bag as my 23kg hold bag but obviously the boot bag is a separate bag. I will have a hand luggage too so I technically have 3 bags with me. Is this ok? Gone are the days when you could take your skis for free as well as your luggage.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Put boots in a carry on sized backpack whci can take other stuff as well. You can also take a smaller carry on bag for onboard essentials.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know I can do that but I’m wondering the answer to whether I can check in the boot bag and skis as one hold 23kg that I’ve paid for. Hopefully someone who’s been recently will know.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@simonsaysowot, no. You have booked one hold bag and one bag is what you get on BA.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@simonsaysowot,

As @ster says:

https://www.britishairways.com/content/information/baggage-essentials/sports-equipment

Quote:
You can take skiing or snowboarding equipment as part of your checked baggage so long as the bag is within 190 x 75 x 65cm.

Skis and snowboards must be packed in a protective bag and can be in the same bag as your boots or clothes. 

If you pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard, your boot bag can be carried as your larger piece of hand baggage if it's within the correct dimensions. If it isn't, it must be checked in and will count as an extra checked bag.

For safety reasons you can’t board the aircraft wearing ski boots.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@simonsaysowot, if the boot bag is of a size that would be allowed on board (i.e. a typical cabin rollaboard), and your only other cabin bag meets the "small cabin bag" requirements, then you can nearly always check the bag containing the boots IN ADDITION to your cabin allowance.

i.e. your total bags meet the requirements of one checked (skis), one large cabin bag (containing boots) and one small cabin bag, but you voluntarily check in the large cabin bag. BA likes this, as it saves space in the cabin and speeds boarding.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowdave wrote:
@simonsaysowot, if the boot bag is of a size that would be allowed on board (i.e. a typical cabin rollaboard), and your only other cabin bag meets the "small cabin bag" requirements, then you can nearly always check the bag containing the boots IN ADDITION to your cabin allowance.

i.e. your total bags meet the requirements of one checked (skis), one large cabin bag (containing boots) and one small cabin bag, but you voluntarily check in the large cabin bag. BA likes this, as it saves space in the cabin and speeds boarding.

This is what I do with BA if I don't have separate ski carriage because I have a standard dakine ski bag. Skis and equipment plus general clothes in the dakine padded sleeve. Skiwear and boots in carry-on (boots in airliners inside an old Snowkart Kabin bag). Everything else in my backpack. Some people use a long board bag or double ski bag and squeeze the boots in there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That’s great thank you very much for the clear instructions. Good job I didn’t turn up with the extra bag as that would have cost me quite a bit.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

This is a good tip, didn't know this re the vol check in! Thanks
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

This is a good tip, didn't know this re the vol check in! Thanks
I wouldn't do this with connecting flights though, best to keep your ski gear on your person!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thomasski wrote:
snowdave wrote:

This is what I do with BA if I don't have separate ski carriage because I have a standard dakine ski bag. Skis and equipment plus general clothes in the dakine padded sleeve. Skiwear and boots in carry-on (boots in airliners inside an old Snowkart Kabin bag). Everything else in my backpack. Some people use a long board bag or double ski bag and squeeze the boots in there.

When are you doing this, at the boarding desk or check-in ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@musher, Either. Doing it at check-in saves you carting the boots around the airport. Doing it at the gate (usually) means you get to board earlier, if that matters to you.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
musher wrote:
Thomasski wrote:
snowdave wrote:

When are you doing this, at the boarding desk or check-in ?

Volunteering? At check-in. Just say "can I check this in too please?”. They've never said no, useful if you want to have booze in your boots!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can try but I wouldn’t rely on you being able to volunteer to effectively get an extra checked bag for free. They are happy when its a full flight so that cabin space is freed up but why would they offer that on a less full flight as they would lose revenue if you had to pay?

Anyway the whole point about putting your precious boots in hand luggage is that they can’t bloody lose them!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 6-03-24 21:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’ve done this before on BA, Norwegian and even EasyJet. I just asked if I could check my boot bag instead of taking it as a cabin bag, no probs or charges any time, admittedly this was all on busy, peak season flights.
latest report
ster wrote:
You can try but I wouldn’t rely on you being able to volunteer to effectively get an extra checked bag for free. They are happy when its a full flight so that cabin space is freed up but why would they offer that on a less full flight as they would lose revenue if you had to pay?

Anyway the whole point about putting your precious boots in hand luggage is that they can’t bloody lose them!

BA offers it because the max overhead bin capacity is under 50% of total load, and BAs average load factor is over 80%. I can’t recall a flight in the last year where the overheads haven’t been nearly full.

There’s no revenue loss because you wouldn’t pay to take it into the cabin; it’s not an extra bag, it’s just checking part of your existing allowance.

However I totally agree with the sentiment that if you don’t want to risk losing your boots, keep them with you!

This may all become moot if BA moves to charging for cabin bags, which is rumoured to be on the cards precisely because there isn’t enough space in the overheads and it’s delaying rotations.
snow report
Quote:

I wouldn't do this with connecting flights though, best to keep your ski gear on your person!

Well, my board, boots and all most of my ski clothes are already in the hold in the board bag... Adding in my annoyingly large carry on bag into the risk mix isn't a huge deal.
snow conditions
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

Well, my board, boots and all most of my ski clothes are already in the hold in the board bag... Adding in my annoyingly large carry on bag into the risk mix isn't a huge deal.

Yeah, pointless keeping it with you if you have to pack important stuff in the checked bag anyway. I keep my boots and ski clothes in the carry on - skis can be hired, cheap normal clothes can be bought. So keeping that bag with me is a priority where there's risk!
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:

There’s no revenue loss because you wouldn’t pay to take it into the cabin; it’s not an extra bag, it’s just checking part of your existing allowance.

There is if you get people turring up with two hand luggage bags (ex the slim laptop bag/handbag your're allowed in addition on BA) when you are only allowed one and the passengers expect to be allowed to check one of the tow bags in for free on top of their already checked luggage..
snow report
ster wrote:
snowdave wrote:

There is if you get people turring up with two hand luggage bags (ex the slim laptop bag/handbag your're allowed in addition on BA) when you are only allowed one and the passengers expect to be allowed to check one of the tow bags in for free on top of their already checked luggage..

Unless BT have changed the rules in the last year or so, that slim laptop bag can be a 30l rucksack. That's what I always shoved under the seat in front, with a wheelie bag overhead. BT usuyasked people to volunteer to put a bag in the hold.
latest report
I don’t know about the communications company you mention but a 30l rucksack would rarely meet the criteria BA have got for the slim laptop bag / hand bag allowed if you would care to check but people chance their arm in what they take on board and BA staff are slack in enforcing it so people bring more than they should or expect to be allowed to check one bag in for free. This attitude on both sides will lead BA to probably charge for hand luggage as mentioned earlier.
ski holidays
In my experience BA frequently checked, and tagged it with a yellow "under the seat in front" tag. This is based on experience of over 400 BA short haul flights. If it fits without difficulty under the seat, why would they care? You are correct that it doesn't fit withint the dimensions of the 25l cuboid but if BA are going to change the rules, it will be because of people taking over-large bags to put in the overhead bins (I always bought ones that would comply with the rules for BA and a few other airlines I might need to use). The BA policy is geared to business travel and that generally means one rucksack and one wheelie bag.
snow report
I fly to Europe with BA 3 or 4 times a season for skiing and have checked my carry-on bag at the same time as my skis every time for the last couple of years. After checking my ski case as my hold bag politely asking if I can also check my carry-on bag has always recieved a cheery "Of course" response. I need to wait for my skis at the other end anyway so doesn't cost me any time and I don't have to lug my bag around the departures hall and gates, and BA have one less passenger the gate staff need to talk into checking their bag at the gate/one less bag to manually check/load at the gate on a busy flight.

One thing to note is I think you can only do this at the manual check-in desks, not the self drop ones - but then I've yet to encounter a self drop that can cope with a ski case so have always been directed to the manual desks anyway.

ster wrote:
You can try (checking your carry-on bag with BA) but I wouldn’t rely on you being able to volunteer to effectively get an extra checked bag for free. They are happy when its a full flight so that cabin space is freed up but why would they offer that on a less full flight as they would lose revenue if you had to pay?

That's where your wrong, checking your carry-on bag ISN'T costing them any money/potential revenue. It's your overhead locker carry-on bag we're talking about, one that's going to go on the aircraft one way or another so it's just a question if it's going on the aircraft below your feet or above your head. That does of course mean it has to be a carry-on sized bag. Rock up with a ski case and huge suitcase and no, they won't check the suitcase for free as your carry-on bag as it's not carry-on sized so not a carry-on bag.

ster wrote:

I've never had a bag lost/delayed and of people I've skied with (and flying BA) can only think of twice a bag's been delayed. In both cases it the bag appeared withing 48 hours and in both cases BA didn't bat an eyelid/promptly reimbursed all lagitimate expenses that were backed up by receipts. In one case that was just 24hrs ski/boot hire while in the other it was everything from skis/boot, through brand new ski jacket/trousers/base layers/underware/wash kit/etc - all bought in resort so at ski resort prices. Would you get the same treatment with Ryanair...humm, but with BA you're fine.
latest report
On my last couple of BA flights economy passengers were being actively encouraged to check in their carry on bags free of charge, in some cases with the promise of priority boarding.
latest report
BA now include, in their T&Cs, their right to relieve you of your (larger) hand luggage, whether you want to check it in or not. This causes me a problem, or at least a frequent argument which, so far, I've won, namely a) I don't want to be parted from my ski boots, certainly not at the check-in desk and b) even if I know, by the time I get to the gate, that it will go on the plane, I still don't want to relinquish it, since the case itself (it's actually a shopping bag) is so fragile that one throw by a baggage handler will cause the case and its contents, including my helmet, to disintegrate.
latest report
@Hurtle, my solution to that problem is to make sure my Ski boots are in the under-the-seat luggage. Anything else is a hassle: losing those would be a problem.
snow conditions
@tsgsh, I have, either in my cabin bag or on my person, literally everything to be able to ski for a couple of days without needing to go shopping, in the event of my main bag (containing my skis) from going astray. All I'd need to do is hire a pair of skis. Obviously the bag contains my boots, as you say probably the most important item, but I'd also be loth to part with my helmet, goggles, gloves and a basic set of ski wear.
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:

It's your overhead locker carry-on bag we're talking about, one that's going to go on the aircraft one way or another so it's just a question if it's going on the aircraft below your feet or above your head. That does of course mean it has to be a carry-on sized bag. Rock up with a ski case and huge suitcase and no, they won't check the suitcase for free as your carry-on bag as it's not carry-on sized so not a carry-on bag.

Agreed. I've not tried checking my cabin bag very often, but I've never been refused nor seen anyone refused.

Worst case scenario, you have to drag you cabin bag with ski boots in, around the airport. Just don't pack anything sharp etc. in it, that would get discarded in the unlikely event that you _couldn't_ check the bag.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tsgsh wrote:
@Hurtle, my solution to that problem is to make sure my Ski boots are in the under-the-seat luggage. Anything else is a hassle: losing those would be a problem.

How small are your feet?! I think I could fit one boot under the seat...
ski holidays
@Hurtle, in that bag, I can also fit a pair of trousers, gloves, ski socks, underwear, etc. Wear a suitable fleece, ski jacket, put goggles in a pocket and you just need to hire skis and a helmet and wash/buy a few clothes. On BA or TUI, I can also take a 12 litre rucksack (not that discusion again!) that is very unlikely to be one that gets tagged as going in the hold: that can take thermals etc. It's not guaranteed but it's pretty safe.
latest report
@tsgsh, that's great. However a) my funny bag has little wheels, which for me is a huge bonus and b) I treasure my own helmet, admittedly not as much as I treasure my boots!
latest report
anarchicsaltire wrote:
On my last couple of BA flights economy passengers were being actively encouraged to check in their carry on bags free of charge, in some cases with the promise of priority boarding.

It always amuses me when they do the whole "If you'll put your carry-on bag in the hold you can have priority bording" offer at the gate...the main benefit of priority bording being the best chance of there still being overhead locker space for your carry-on bag.

@tsgsh, I condisered one of those bags...but then rather than being your carry-on bag your backpack has to go inside one of your other bags (yes, optional for general skiing but necessary for back country).

Hurtle wrote:
@tsgsh, that's great. However a) my funny bag has little wheels, which for me is a huge bonus and b) I treasure my own helmet, admittedly not as much as I treasure my boots!

A helmet's classed as a hat and carrying it/having it clipped to my backpack's never attracted a first glance, let alone a second from BA staff. Not tried actually wearing it and can imagin that might get some looks, but more the .oO(Why's this idiot wearing his helmet to board the plane?)Oo. than leading to someone stopping you doing it.
ski holidays
@tsgsh, what model is that? I tried looking at the Rossignol website but couldn't find anything.
latest report
@freethemind, Hero Dual. Those are the old colours, this season's looks like a pink QR code like all the Hero accessories. I got that one from Glisshop: cheap but with a hefty delivery charge.

A quick check shows it's available here but for a lot more than I paid for mine.
latest report
mjit wrote:
@tsgsh, I condisered one of those bags...but then rather than being your carry-on bag your backpack has to go inside one of your other bags (yes, optional for general skiing but necessary for back country).

Yes, but there's a nice big space where my boots aren't. Oh, hold on Mrs tsgsh has no space left in her bag and wants me to take her boots again!
snow conditions
Thomasski wrote:

27.5s. Remarkably average boots, sizewise. The bag has one on top of the other rotated 180° rather than the usual side by side arrangement.
ski holidays
tsgsh wrote:
Thomasski wrote:

27.5s. Remarkably average boots, sizewise. The bag has one on top of the other rotated 180° rather than the usual side by side arrangement.

Hmmm maybe the space under the seat is deceptive then... I have 29.5 so not massively different, but when my boots are ying-yanged into the overhead bag they only just fit in the dimensions.
ski holidays
@Thomasski, assuming there aren't any 00's style boxes of electronics in the way, the height under the seat shouldn't be a problem but since I got it haven't actually have to put it under the seat because there's been loads of space overhead on each flight. However, I'm sure my work rucksack takes up more height and that fits comfortably under the seat on a BA or Lufthansa A319/320/321 or a BA Embraer 190.

My boots are roughly 15cm wide.
snow conditions
Thomasski wrote:
tsgsh wrote:
Thomasski wrote:

Hmmm maybe the space under the seat is deceptive then... I have 29.5 so not massively different, but when my boots are ying-yanged into the overhead bag they only just fit in the dimensions.

You don't actually have to fit both your boots in the same bag. I put one boot and my helmet (gloves and visor etc packed inside it) and my skiing clothing etc in my wheely overhead case, and the other boot with evening clothes and odds and sods in the under seat rucksack. Nothing goes in the hold. Obvs I dont travel with ski's, I hire those. Makes for a quick getaway on arrival if we've gone for the early flight ski the arrival afternoon approach.
ski holidays
@t44tomo, Now that is a great idea.

I never had a problem as a BA gold and getting on the plane first but now I have no status I think splitting the gear rather than taking on my RAB bag which is actually 2cm too long (still fits in side on) and worrying if I'll get pulled.

I'll now split my boots.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy