Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Want to take spontaneous trip to Tahoe - plz help

Poster: A snowHead
I want to take advantage of all the snow!! Also I want to take my son for a 18th birthday present. I live outside NYC. I want to fly somewhere and willing to rent a car to get to a mountain but will so a shuttle. My main concern is I will probably last about 4 hours on the mountain, but my son will be skiing by himself the rest of the time. We are used to skiing in New England. New York, Vermont, Maine. I guess I’m just looking for recommendations where I can leave my kid alone and not really worry. I can leave him alone and then pick him up the end of the day. No problem. I have never skied out west and I’m worried about if I leave him alone - it won’t be safe, he likes skiing in the woods, etc.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How competent is the son? 18 should be old enough to make adult decisions. I'm biased but I'd say Kirkwood is the best place as not too big to get lost, not likely to get cliffed out in most of the main runs ( although there are places to get into trouble if you want). Plus not too many heel balancing straightlining dickheads which you get at other places as not overly groomed.

But if you do get a storm the road might be closed and/or a number of lifts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks! I forgot to mention I am a big groomer guy. I want to spend my time on very wide open groomed terrain - intermediate
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
(Just saw your comment about you-it just reinforces Heavenly in my view)

Fun idea. But the fact is, he can stay out of, or get into trouble no matter where you end up going. Maybe a little trail map study on the flight west wouldn't be a bad idea. Once you've picked an area, scout out some places for him to go before you split up so you'll be less worried and he'll be more confident.

Some general thoughts which can be zoomed in on as you figure it out:

Fly to Reno if you can do so directly; shorter drive vs SFO or OAK. Get a car. Stay where you want, it's North Shore (Palisades, Northstar) or South (Heavenly, Kirkwood). I'm leaving out the smaller areas and there are some good ones...Sugar Bowl sort of fits your bill. But you're coming all that way, do it right.

I'd have you stay in South Lake Tahoe and maybe even at the Village base of Heavenly. There you can take the gondo up into the area. When you're done, you could hang out in Tamarack Lodge while he wears the rest of himself out, or take the gondola back down to town and he could too, later on--so no need for the "pick up". The view from Heavenly is second to none; it has the best cruising and the best trees of Tahoe. He could ski Milky Way trees while you cruise on the adjacent run (and observe, if you must), and ride the chair together. Then use the car and make the beautiful drive out to Kirkwood for a more old school experience. More steeps there, also nice trees, not great cruising. A slower pace there, not in a bad way.

Nothing against Palisades, I've been skiing there for 50 years now. If you have the time, a day trip up the west shore on CA-89 through Emerald Bay is a stunner, if its open. As for Northstar, I think it is kind of white bread/corporate if you will. I just think the duo I mentioned gives a first-timer the Full Tahoe Experience.

You didn't specify timing. Palisades stays open into May (minimum Memorial Day this year) and sometimes July and the others mostly do not (and I recently checked this data). All these areas can be crowded but as spring rolls on, much less so.

It is still winter at this point, but Spring skiing in the Sierras is the best.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Here's a few shots of Heavenly. A nice Nevada-side groomer; a view of the lake; low-angle Nevada-side trees with the Carson valley to the east. Steeper trees on the California side, by Ellie's, and at Kirkwood.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice on Heavenly! I am thinking about coming in two weeks for some mid week skiing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How many days you planning ? Assume you don’t have a current lift pass that’s valid at any of the Tahoe resorts?

Is anywhere offering ski the rest of this season with purchasing next years pass?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@haggishunter, Epic is not. Dunno about Ikon yet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scooter in Seattle,
Thank you for your advice on earlier forums - just returned from a glorious 12 days skiing, Heavenly, Kirkwood & Northstar.
Drove to Tahoe the Thursday morning of 'The Storm' so had a few epic days of snowfall.
Stayed at the Marriott next to Gondola so very convenient - however the Gondola was on wind hold for at least 50% of our stay.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jeez, I was driving 4hrs each way for a day skiing at glenshee on my own at 17.

A couple of hours on his own in the same resort????

This makes me feel very, very old and sad (and I’m not that old!).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dippy, cheers. Yeah, that gondo is really susceptible to wind as you discovered. I’m headed down there in mid April myself, can’t wait.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Suburbandad, Not sure if you've been to Tahoe before, but the town itself is an absolute shytehole.

The skiing is OK but are you sure it's worth flying all that way to a seedy and tired resort?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@red 27, which town are you referring to?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Presumably SLT. It's a bit of an architectecturally mixed sprawl with a big traffic problem and had a big hole at Stateline for years following the financial crisis but I suspect average house prices would indicicate it's far from a slum. Gotta be bear and fire aware though.

It's just got a new concert/ hockey arena.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
“Town” ignores Truckee, a great town, and Tahoe City, a good one. SLT isn’t great, but it’s no reason not to go there. There are plenty of places to stay in perfectly good spots away from Highway 50. The villages at Palisades and Northstar are also nice, if you like that sort of vibe.

And yes, California isn’t called the Bear Republic for nothing.
latest report
Getting warm here now - SLT forecast calling for 50s (F) this week. Hope you got here before the big warmup. Spring skiing can be great, but it’s not powder skiing. And calling “Tahoe” a shytehole is a bit harsh. I get it - none of the numerous towns around the Lake aren’t like the picture postcard cute Austrian ski villages, no question about it. But for a start “Tahoe” isn’t one place unless you’re referring to the actual lake. There are a dozen or so ski resorts around the lake, and a number of towns. Some are nicer than others, for sure. They each have their own vibe and charm, though - just ask a local about how they like it.
snow report
All of the development in SLT by Stateline is quite tastefully done. A lot nicer than some resorts in the Alps that I have been to. 9/10 would visit again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy