Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheaper TO destinations; can you ever preplan?

Poster: A snowHead
Cheap destinations such as Bulgaria, Andorra, I'm thinking of (others are no doubt available, including less snowsure and lower Italy and Austria - feel free to comment thereupon).

Is there ever a reasonably predictable time of year when they'd be most likely to have enough snow to satisfy your big standard UK intermediate skier or boarder (not 200% marathon-level fit, blues and red, not ice or boilerplate)?

Used to be OK destinations, didn't they? In fact, I did Arinsal/Pal several times back in the very early '00s and Mr G was just learning to board. (And recall getting there in late ish January to a good snowfall after a rather 'dry' start.
I assume that this year (and, I think last?) they have been pretty dire? (Assumption only based on current very cheap TO prices.)

I'm now in a situation where I'm time rich, able to grab and go - though really I do like to plan ahead or have at least a few weeks' notice - but cash poor. So trying to make the most of whatever I can get my slidy bits on for the least possible outlay.
Hence rather desperately searching around for future best options Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Preplanning weeks out is the tricky part and its usually always going to be cheaper leaving it to last min with a TO as long as you can avoid peak peak weeks.

Andorra have had a dire snow year but they have still managed to keep a large volume of terrain available throughout the season so I think you can say its fairly reliable that you will get to ski there at least.

Booking a flight somewhere around the Alps to lock in dates and then accom/resort much closer to departure date usually works for me. I am happy to travel further for better snow if required
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How many people travelling, @Grizzler?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I understand why not for some, but borovets with Balkan holidays late availability for £300/£400 each , everything cheap when there, it's£25 extra for a ski bag 1 hour transfer why not , almost as cheap as staying at home, for Andorra I squally book a few flights early on , about £40 return , then if I decide to go I add everything on later, ( should have gone today till sat but work got in the way ) if not it's not a massive loss. M a beginner so there's probably a better way,
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Grizzler, I live in Andorra. I’ve skied every weekend this season. It’s not been perfect, but it’s been ok. This weekend has been fabulous.

If you’re a reasonable skier/boarder, you’d probably have struggled to enjoy Arinsal but there’s been enough to enjoy elsewhere and this season the weather has probably been close to the worst case scenario for Andorra. Too mild to run snow cannons for big periods of time and very little precipitation when it has been cold, yet they’ve still done ok.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 4-03-24 21:56; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just lose the 'preplan' hang up and embrace your 'time rich' position (I've been there, trust me)

Wait for the right place at the right time at the right price
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grizzler,
Even some of the larger resorts have suffered at times this winter, but to get an idea on reasonable priced skiing @denfinella, has done some excellent travel blogs on skiing different alpine resorts at a reasonable price.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting, thanks.
So Andorra, certainly, might not have been a bad choice for a cheap last minute (the El T, Pas side at least).
Is there anything left/worth going for in Bulgaria this year? (If so, there are indeed some bargains to be had.)

How do I find the right place and time bit, then? (Probably for next year now; sadly signed up for some more expensive than planned sea kayak trips instead.)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surely the point of being time rich is that you DON'T have to plan in advance? If you are a lone traveller DIY will often be cheaper than TO deals which are generally for 2.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Grizzler, if leaving it late, keep an eye on weather conditions/current snow conditions everywhere. Look at all possible airport options and be prepared to fly at any time, any day of the week - for example, some very early or very late flight times can be very reasonable flying into Barcelona. Know where to look for accommodation, Airbnb/booking isn’t always the best option everywhere… tourist office/resort websites often work well for Austria lots of properties not on sites like booking, Airbnb isn’t really a thing in Andorra etc… Look for places with a good reasonably priced transfer option - Andorra might be 2.5hrs from the nearest airport, but you can get a transfer for about €60 return and they’re scheduled every 2-3 hours all year round. Some places transfers can be hundreds of £ or only operate on weekends.

Also keep an eye on last minute deals with tour operators.

If you want to take more of a risk, be aware of when airlines begin selling their tickets. They often sell very cheap seats on release. Choose a destination with plenty of possible resorts nearby and decide exactly where you go closer to the time based on conditions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grizzler, Austria this season above c.1500m has had good snow cover right from early December. Whilst many resorts are at a low level, and therefore have no snow, a lot of the skiing is up above the snowline.

If you take the Zillertal as an example, we've had warm weather in the main now for weeks and weeks, yet, virtually every run in the valley is open.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swskier, That's good news. I had a horrid time in Bad Hoffgastein last January (terribly icy), and last mid March in Kaprun/Zell am See was useable, if very slushy, but frighteningly barren (and the glacier just too horribly busy for me).
Zillertal is one of my must-return-to destinations. Couldn't find anything within price range at Mayrhofen, sadly (actually, I recall 1 on the outskirts with Sunweb, though b&b rather than s/c, which isn't 100% ideal). Used to be nice and cheap, but no longer; not for 2025 either.
I will look at other parts of the valley in due course.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hammerite, @Origen,
No, you're right, don't have to plan that far in advance. But I struggle a bit without a week's, preferably two's, notice. Mr G still works part time too, and there are always arrangements to be made, certain practicalities, etc.
Would travel as a couple. We are limited by being very northern England, but always do consider all airports within what to us is driveable.
For the moment, just asking about TO packages & destinations (more as a general question about why so much cheaper and the only deals out there now - and whether yet viable options, for this or next year).
DIY is another ball game; hadn't realised Andorra could be feasible though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

DIY is another ball game

But a ball game which gives you vastly more choice. TOs only go to a handful of resorts and, within those resorts, only have options for a narrow range of accommodation. If you stick to TOs then yes, options are very limited. That's just the way it is.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Grizzler, depends on how much you place a value of convenience to lifts and/or nightlife. I'm sure there'd be something in the valley within your price range but it might come at a compromise.
ski holidays
@Grizzler, yes, Andorra is very feasible. I had to fly home to England during the Andorran school holidays a couple of weeks ago. I flew back to England from Barcelona on a Saturday morning. I had to get on the bus at 4am, but the journey back cost about £50 (€33 for the bus and £21 for the flight - only an underseat bag) and I didn’t buy the flight until 3 days before travel.

It’s a long journey time-wise because Andorra is so far from the nearest airport but it’s pretty easy and quite reasonable.
snow report
Just as a heads up. Andbus have put the price of their standard service up by a couple of €. However, they've announced a subscription service called APrime. If you subscribe you can get a transfer from Barcelona for €15 or €20 from Tolouse. It will cost €90 a year for subscription usually, but if you sign up before the end of the month you can get it for free.
latest report
Do you know is that for Andorran residents or anybody, cheers
snow conditions
@Gitty, anybody that I'm aware of. https://andbus.net/en/andbus-prime/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy