Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stick with beginner skis or move on ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Just after some advice really..
wife and I are still very much beginners, probably have about 10 weeks under our belts and just back from our latest trip to Austria and really improved finally. Parallel turns and some sweeping arcs, a bit of quick switching from edge to edge on reasonably flat blues - so you have an idea of our level. Nothing fancy. Still don’t fancy reds - I have done a couple but wife not there yet.

Onto my conundrum… should we stick with our beginner skis we’ve had since day one - Namely Rosignol Pursuit P100s 163 for her (around 5’ft8) and 170 for me (6foot) but invest in a probably long overdue service ? Would a service change how they feel ? Better on sweeping arcs ? They’ve not been serviced for the 4years we’ve had them and starting to discolour on the edges.

Or……. Would you suggest a ski to move onto now ?
I must admit to an impulse buy of some K2 Konic 76ti 177cm before I even got used to the pursuits … never tried them yet ! Are they a good choice to move onto seeing as I have them ?
But what to get for the mrs ? ….If a change is in order.

Really do appreciate any info on service expectations or next skis…

Thankyou!
Frank
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, absolutely get your skis serviced! After 10 weeks, at best they'll have no wax left on them and be blunter than a blunt thing, at worst also stone chips and burrs. It doesn't sound like you're skiing them particularly hard, so they may well still be fine to use, but you can start thinking about an upgrade and maybe test out a few alternatives. If you get them serviced, after that long without they will feel like a new pair of skis anyway!

PS. the usual service interval is 1-2 weeks, assuming you haven't pranged them on a rock.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Cosmosblue, ....P100s are nicely shaped skis, length sounds good.
Yes get them serviced but even better go on Jon Coster's ski tech course.
If you get them serviced be very discriminating in who does it.
Where are you based?

Many people make the mistake of 'equipment will make everything better....'.
Skills make things better.
My son skis top model contemporary skis (Faction, Volkl, Scott) and then some worn out ancient rubbish we have lying around. He is composed and insanely competent on any of them.
It's not the gear, it's the skier.

Keep you skis, get them serviced by someone who knows what they are doing, on the money you have saved by not buying new gear, get some private lessons. Done.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely service, yes.
Should they feel different? Well, they'll probably run better and faster (depends of the type of wax used) and the edges should be nice and sharp, which helps if it's hardback or ice.

Ski choice is very personal. Rent and/or demo is what folks will probably say.
Getting different skis may help you, or can be a mistake or just waste of money; really hard to say.
Make sure you know what type of ski turns and terrain you like, though, and but accordingly (or at least consider as part of the overall equation). Not just now, but into the future too; do you intend to stick to piste and just occasional soft or chopped stuff, for instance? Do you want an 'all mountain ski or a specific piste ski? Do you like short radius slalom-type turns or big sweepy GS bigger radius ones? Do you want or like a lightweight ski (remember carrying them too)? Do you want or like a stiffer ski? None of this will preclude the skis being suitable, but it's something to think about.
Check your existing skis' sidecut and radius: it should be printed on them somewhere (like R14 100-75-98 as an example).
I'm no expert btw - many others on here are much more knowledgeable than me in every way.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much for the replies so far. Even on a Saturday night Very Happy
General consensus does seem to be keep what we have but get them serviced asap !! and it’s nice to know our Rosignols are considered not bad.

Regarding getting them serviced - they are out in Austria so unless anyone knows someone decent in Carinthia it’s going to have to be pot luck at an Intersport service shop I guess ?

I will get round to using my K2s at some point as they are out in Austria too - will be interesting to see if I notice any difference , good or bad, between them and the P100s once they are serviced. The K2s are 177cm vs 170 on the P100s though… is that too long or fine for a 6foot beginner who’s starting to feel more confident.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Cosmosblue, ....er....would not go to an intersport shop for a service. Simply email an independent ski school or guide office and ask for their recommendation.
That will do it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thankyou so much. Will do just that.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And don't overlook what @valais2 said about getting some private lessons. Better value than buying new skis.....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy