Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So howdoes your shop test your bindings? How do you?

Poster: A snowHead
David Goldsmith mentioned something about bindings in the SCGB forum; it triggered me into a little research.

In his excellent ski injury site, Dr Mike Langran offers some comprehensive advice on self-testing. He offers similar advice on the BASI site.
Quote:
The only safe and proven way to ensure that your bindings are set correctly for you as an individual is to get into the habit of performing a self-test on your binding every day.

This article was written some time ago - but is food for thought.

I shall be doing the self-test in future, I think. I wonder if someone like SZK could comment on what is practical from a shop point of view.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think he mentioned that they can be tested by a machine. In my 11 years of skiing, this is completely new to me and I assume everyone else. You just say your bindings DIN number ( is that what it is called ? ), your weight and you are offered the skis with the bindings according to these parameters.

Because of the possibility of bindings not releasing on impact and the injuries that arise as a result, should the shops be adopting a more " professional " aproach to the guaging of bindings for their clients?.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, there are a whole bunch of ISO standards, and googling around I have seen mention of machines. But I was rather hoping that someone like SZK, or maybe WTFH might comment further.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just bought a Huber electronic binding torque testing machine so I'm sorted - & so can anyone else be for a small consideration wink.

The Huber machines are an electronic version of the manual 'Safemeter' binding torque-wrench devices that theoretically all shops should, but hardly ever have. Or if the do have them, hard ever use them.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 18-07-06 20:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, Jon have you found any discrepancies when DIN settings have been tested.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick Zotov, Self test interesting, that is how I have set the bindings (approx Din 3-4) on the skis I use on plastic, slow speeds so less dynamic forces. On snow my bindings are much higher (Din 8 ) due to the higher forces involved, if I used the self test approach to adjusting my bindings I would pre-release constantly on snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't think the problem comes with bindings being faulty, more with skiers providing inaccurate information. Look back in the past on here where there have been several threads about what people think their DIN settings should be, based on how they interpret a simple chart.

So, when a punter comes into a shop, they are asked their height, weight and skiing ability, along with being asked to hand over a ski boot.

People lie, or are unsure about their weight and their ability, height less so.

Also, people change weight, and maybe when they bought the skis they were set right, but they haven't asked to have the bindings checked or reset since.

Put it this way, I'm currently around 80kg. My bindings should be set to 8.5, according to the chart. If I drop 3kg in weight, my bindings should be reset to 7. That is a bit of a jump. And maybe I'm not actually as good a skier as I like to think, so the 8.5 should actually be a 6...

Bindings are manufactured to standards, and within their lifetime, I'd expect them to be within around 0.25 of accuracy, but there are many factors that come into play. As well as those listed above, there is also boot sole wear, and when you're on the slopes, how much snow/ice/dirt is in there as well.

So, yes it is important to have your bindings tested, but it is equally, if not more important to know, and be honest about your own height, weight and ability.

It's because of these things that many shops will make you sign a document which contains the information you have provided, along with what they set the binding to, that way it is easier to spot if there is a mistake, should that situation arise.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was taught, probably wholly incorrectly, to try to kick a foot (not your own!) out of its biding from the side. If it could be done not too easily, not too difficultly, all was deemed well. For forward release, the front of the skis were held down (by someone else's skis), and if the bindings released, just, when the user tried as hard as they could to lift their heel, using their weight, all was well.

As I say probably dangerous crap, but an easy check to do.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was at Xscape today without my own skis for the first time.
My own skis are set at DIN 7 1/2 and if i hire skis in at nevis or cairngorm they set them at 7.
I gave my details at xscape and got skis with a DIN setting of 6.
So i guess it must be in their intrest to set them lower as i was not going to encounter any difficult terrain.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David@traxvax, Dunno yet! Only got it last weekend from a southern ski shop who was selling it off. It's their DMG90 model & is about 10-12 years old but it has a calibration certificate from mid 05. It's also a dull brown colour rather than the swanky colour in Huber's advert:roll:. The problem is that the damned thing weighs 65kg so I'm just sorting a sturdy stand for it.

The machine has full instructions on it & the shop demo'd it for me before I took it however so far I've been unable to find contact details for Huber to obtain a manual & calibration details.

I watched Steve Bagley in Snowbird use a Safemeter on a number of pairs of skis after he'd remounted the bindings following Campbell Balancing analysis. I'd say the actual release DIN's on over half of the individual bindings (ie over 8 out of 16) differed from the DIN scale, in both directions Shocked.

I had Steve check my Atomic Neox bindings on my b5's & thankfully they were absolutely spot on. I've also got brand new Atomic bindings on my new M:EX's. Apparently one of the benefits of the Neox bindings is that the DIN scale is laser etched on each binding as it is individually tested therefore guaranteeing that the scale reading matches the release torques.

So the first use of my Huber will be to see how my b5's & M:EX's measure up which will be a good initial calibration.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 18-07-06 23:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
....... I'm currently around 80kg........

Yeah right Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
II wrote:
Was at Xscape today without my own skis for the first time.
My own skis are set at DIN 7 1/2 and if i hire skis in at nevis or cairngorm they set them at 7.
I gave my details at xscape and got skis with a DIN setting of 6.
So i guess it must be in their intrest to set them lower as i was not going to encounter any difficult terrain.

Generally at indoor slopes I'd get mine notched back a bit as well - the main reasons being conditons, size and crowd.

The "snow" can be variable. The crowd can mean avoiding people and falling. But mainly because they are so short, you rarely get up enough speed to worry about a double eject at 60mph, cause most of the time if you get over about 15mph, you'll be the fastest person there!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
....... I'm currently around 80kg........

Yeah right Laughing

I should correct that (based on the Soehnle scales in my bathroom), I am EXACTLY 80kg.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't comment about other shops, but whenever I've bought skis, or had bindings remounted my favorite ski shop (Central sport Wengen) has always used a test gauge to check release loads, I've also seen them do this with hire skis, perhaps they're a particularly well set up shop I don't know, I think a lot depends on how good the shop and its staff are
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I do have some more things to chew over. But I have drunk too much bubbly tonight. I'll tune in tomorrow. :hic:
latest report
Speedtronics, speedtronics everywhere.
ski holidays
comprex, Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
spyderjon, Wintersteiger Speedtronic, 4/5 of the local&skihill shops.
snow report
D G Orf, When I rented from Central, or changed skis on Mannlichen they didn't use a test gauge, just asked a booth to fit the binding and be done. All they did was set the binding based on the personal data you give them prior to renting. Same for my Sister... (Also started at Central, changed /several/ times on Mannlichen)

Good service from both Central and especially Mannlichen on the rest.
snow conditions
I used a Wintersteiger Speedtronic testing machine to test bindings that came into the shop for servicing. Gave a printout of the release figures etc.

I'm extremely dubious about that self check, I for one know that I can't release my bindings in a static mode, but know that they will come off when I need them to.
snow report
And of course all this depends on proper binding care for storage, cleaning, lubrication and fitting the boot to the binding correctly before you even get to the testing stage.
snow report
As for settings, assuming you have a track record of not falling, but are likely to ski some tricky slopes, another problem arises. What the setting itself should be. OTOH, there is a recommended scale. OTOH, you will be skiing slopes where loosing a ski would be a very bad idea. You still want it to come off if something goes wrong. But you very definitely do not want it to go off merely because you are skiing aggressively, more so than for most of the day.
snow report
Nick Zotov wrote:
As for settings, assuming you have a track record of not falling,...

Then you're nto trying hard enough!
ski holidays
Nick Zotov, We have a guide/chart similar to that recommended by Salomon. The checks take in account; Weight, height, ability, age and for me the most important factor BOOT SOLE LENGTH.
DIN is very vague, any combination of the above factors could be the deciding element of damage in a fall. Each manufacturer uses a similar, but not exact test. Each manufacturer uses different metals, no 2 springs will ever function exactly the same.

Skiing is/can be dangerous, for everyone like me whom lives for skiing and spends hours on the snow,without ever having been injured, there is a beginner whom shortly after they clicked into their bindings, snapped a cruicate.

However to answer your question, NO, we dont have a machine to test bindings, at least i don't think Piereot is a machine. However is highly skilled and experienced. If he is in any doubt the bindings go back. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
I weigh 90kg. I ski fast on groomed and off-piste. I cannot see how I could safely do that without having din up to 10-11. I do not know much worse than losing the skis on fast speed in bumps on a steep section.

Mind you, I have also once broken my shin bone when I was young due to a malfunctioning back-binding which did not release... So I know bindings must work. But after a point in time, I think the unintended release can be equally damaging too.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Don't think I fell all week skiing with easiski who took me on some interesting stuff. My fall in Aple D'Huez was on a moderate slope in snow conditions which seemed to present no significant risk Sad However, our group was regularly skiing slopes like The Tunnel - which had firm snow, and was deeply mogulled, with deep troughs from boarders side-slipping at 90 degrees to the fall line. I guess most experienced skiers would recognise that as a typical variation to be faced during the day. As demos said
Quote:
I know bindings must work. But after a point in time, I think the unintended release can be equally damaging too.

Thanks everybody who has contributed so far to this thread, BTW. The more I read, the more I realize I have to learn.
snow conditions
Ronald, I'd guess they don't check hire skis every time, I only saw them doing so in December, so perhaps they were just checking at the start of the season, I know they have the test gear in Wengen, I'm not sure about up on Mannlichen
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, thanks. I am not saying you should use a machine, BTW. I really am trying to learn about this - and mentioned your name only cos I knew you ran a shop.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nick Zotov, I would happily use a machine, i haven't read all this thread, is there one? Toofy Grin
snow report
All this is beginning to make me think I should buy my own skis after all. Downside is that, realistically, I will be able to ski 2 weeks per year only, so I would not normally think it cost-effective to buy. But the best way of ensuring that the bindings are in good nick seems to be to buy my own.
latest report
Nick Zotov, at 2 weeks a year, your skis will have paid for themselves in 3 years (or so I proved a few months ago).
Here's a simple way of looking at it... say rental costs £50 a week. That means 6 weeks rental is £300.
If you buy a pair of skis for £400, and after 3 years sell them for £150, then you are £50 better off than having rentals, and you have the advantage of having your own skis with better quality bases and edges, that haven't been used and abused, and don't have big heavy rental bindings on them.
snow report
I tested my Sally S900s on a machine last year. The front release was strongly affected by the wing adjustment. Shocked

Nick Zotov,
Quote:

But the best way of ensuring that the bindings are in good nick seems to be to buy my own.

I'm not so sure about this. Shops will service bindings, have testing machines and be required to test them.

Remember that binding function will also be affected by the condition of your boot sole.. so it's worth looking at them too.

But, it is important to remember that a correctly functioning binding, correctly adjusted cannot guarrantee release. Shocked
latest report
ski wrote:
I tested my Sally S900s on a machine last year. The front release was strongly affected by the wing adjustment. Shocked

Are you saying that whent he binding isn't set up correctly for the boot, then it won't release properly?

...cause that's exactly what I'd expect - that's why having the DIN set correctly is only one of the issues you have to consider when setting up bindings. (and also why it is dangerous to swap skis with someone who has the same boot size as you without adjusting the bindings)
snow conditions
Quote:

DIN is very vague

I'm not sure if you meant what you typed, or I misunderstood.

The whole point about DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung) is that it isn't vague - it's an exacting (worldwide) standard, so that no matter what brand of binding you buy - a DIN 5 is a DIN 5 across the board.

The appropriate DIN standard that we are discussing is:

DIN 7881-5 - Winter sports equipment; release bindings for alpine downhill skiing; adjustment scale for release values (also ISO 8061:2004)

SO:

A Type 1 Skier, weighing 76kg, 5'8" in height, with a boot sole length of 305mm will have a DIN release figure for his toe and heel piece of 5.5. This will equate to a nominal release force of 50Nm at the toe (twist) and 194Nm at the heel (forward lean).

No ambiguity. This is why I poo-poohed the self check above, I myself struggle to detect when my toe piece is being twisted at a torque of 50Nm.

On a binding release testing machine, we will test for a nominal of those release figures above, with a manufacturers testing tolerance being accounted for.
snow conditions
ski wrote:
.....But, it is important to remember that a correctly functioning binding, correctly adjusted cannot guarrantee release. Shocked

Sure. But I want the system to have a good chance.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

Are you saying that whent he binding isn't set up correctly for the boot, then it won't release properly?

er yes wink wink
latest report
ski wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

er yes wink wink

...so, maybe it would be a good idea to get a shop, or trained professional to set them up, since it is kinda important? wink
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat,

Quote:

...so, maybe it would be a good idea to get a shop, or trained professional to set them up, since it is kinda important?

er, yes....which is why I was testing then, after mounting on new skis snowHead
latest report
So what should you do if someone who's completely unqualified, on all levels, takes your personal skis and without your knowledge and does 'who knows what' to the bindings to make them fit their hire boots . . . do you:

Call the Police or charge them 40€ for servicing?
snow conditions
Masque, I wouldn't let them near my skis, and if I thought they had adjusted them in any way, I would demand that their testicles be lightly coated in chilli sauce before being fried, then removed from their body with a rusty spoon.
...then I'd start to get angry with them...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy