Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner resorts - short transfer time

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
My 1st post here, apologies I'm sure this has been asked a million times already. Researching for Jan 2025 & have spent weeks looking at different sites rolling eyes & finding it's such a minefield!!! Anyhow, I've it narrowed down to Flaine in France or Prato Nevoso in Italy. Main reasons for choosing these 2 is, 3 families going, all beginners, 9 kids included so a short transfer would be great. I'd appreciate if anyone has any nuggets of wisdom to give me on either of the 2 resorts... or even better if you can tell me another resort which ticks the boxes (of the short transfer & good for beginners) that'd be brilliant.
Thanks a mill Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, @Muggle101. Are you looking at booking package holiday for all, or putting together your own arrangements? They are two very different resorts.

Can you also give us an idea of your budget, and whether you are looking to stay in a hotel or rent apartments and cater for yourselves for at least some meals. How many people altogether?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Origen, as it's our first trip, I think we'd be safer to book a package holiday, am looking at Crystal ski's site mainly. Flying from Ireland, budget around EUR5k for a family of 6 (before ski hire/passes, will sort that later on) 2 other families coming too, so another 4 adults & 5 kids. We're not too fussed with accomodation tbh, apartments or hotel, once we're close to a ski school & can all chillout together later on, we'd be happy, actually, maybe a lounge/bar area would be handy Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know Prato Nevoso except by reputation. But Flaine would be a good choice, and there's a wide choice of accommodation. With your big group a hotel might be better in terms of somewhere you could all gather, though not all hotels are equally well equipped from that point of view. The Belambra Club might be good for get-together space. And has a pool. Buying all your drinks and food at hotel prices might be a bit eye watering. Flaine is likely to be more expensive than PN from that point of view. Eating out in Italian mountain restaurants is cheaper than Flaine.

Are you going to take the kids out of school?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the reply, yes going to take the kids out of school Eh oh!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good idea!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I also think using a package deal is a good idea, especially with such a sizeable group.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Gets surely.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1. Bardonecchia
2. Alpbach
3. Flaine
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We took our kids to Flaine when they were small - stayed at the Totem which is straight onto the beginner slopes (assuming it’s still there!).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about a DIY trip to Montgenevre and you'll save 2k -3k for a family of 5.
Ryanair flight Shannon or Dublin to Turin depending on what part of the country you're in. Private transfer with sauzetaxi.it or snowcab. Really recommend this for first timers as you're not waiting around for a bus with a group or hiring a car. Transfer only about 1 hour 20. Great selection and standard of apartments with Go Montgenevre. Resort is ideal for beginners and kids. Good snow record, nice green runs from near top to bottom. Great ski school. Good value lift pass. Resort is quiet but with kids in tow I don't think apres is high on the list of priorities.

We did this in January 2023 and it was the easiest and shortest door to door ski holiday journey I've done by a distance.
This and proximity of accommodation to slopes/ski school is key with kids. Avoid resorts that require long walks, a bus or a lift to get to ski school in the mornings.
Going again in 10 days and can't wait.

We book everything separate but Go Montgenevre can arrange accommodation, transfers, ski hire etc if you wanted to go down that route.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks so much for all the replies, great information there Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pila worthy of consideration, Crystal go there - more info on this thread:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=168532&highlight=
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Orange200 wrote:
Les Gets surely.

Portes du Soleil is good for a short transfer - Morzine/Avoriaz ??
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys, sorry not able to copy threads in my replies Madeye-Smiley I want to go to all the resorts!!! I've checked the Pila thread above & that's really informative & I like that's its a small resort, we really will know nothing about skiing & the lingo even is going over my head slightly. I've always wanted to give a skiing holiday a go & I know the kids are at the perfect ages for it aswell, although my teenage daugther is already saying she's not sure why I'm considering going to someplace that we'll be cold & miserable, I think it'll be great fun & my mission is to convert her, hence why a short walk to a ski school will be a bonus wink
ski holidays
@Muggle101, welcome to SH's.

Keeping it simple is certainly the watchword in your situation.

As you are taking kids out of school and going in Jan that helps.

Most major resorts/areas are fine for beginners really. It's more a case that some places you will get less out of. In your first weeks skiing you are not going to appreciate a large ski area or something with lots of challenging terrain.

I would have thought good ski schools, easy access to the meeting point/slopes, ski area that suits, etc. is more important than transfer time where the difference between 1 hour would be incidental in the grand scheme.

Regarding your daughter, ironically on what we call a bluebird day (clear skies and sunny) it's often not cold - certainly when you are skiing - and not miserable, what with the fantastic mountain views, fun skiing. But also skiing isn't for everyone. And there is only one way to find out.
ski holidays
@Muggle101, I had to google Prato Navoso which is a resort with a low profile even here. It's probably OK but I would suggest Pila or Montgenevre as mentioned above if flying via Turin. But Flaine would be fine for flying via Geneva. As far as I know they are all Crystal destinations, though you may be more limited coming from Ireland, and I am sure you are right to be looking at a tour operator given the challenge of multiple families as well as being first-timers.

Don't worry about your daughter, having an opinion and finding fault with what parents want to do is part of being a teenager. She will probably enjoy it, particularly if she is sharing the adventure with friends.
ski holidays
Thanks Smile @layne if I could get someone to tell me where to book, that was reasonably priced & close to a ski school at this stage I'd just book it Very Happy I've been 'googling' a lot these past few weeks, was thinking a shorter transfer primarily because my middle kid doesn't travel great on buses, in saying that I could dose him up with some travel sickness tablets before landing.

As for my daughter, Summer is her season but I know she'll love skiing too, she's very active & sporty so hopefully will enjoy the 'fun' of learning something new.

Thanks again for all the replies, really appreciate them all.
snow report
Well, Flaine would be absolutely fine and Pila, which quite a few people here know and have written about, would be better than Prato Nevoso. There's a current thread where a first-timer is seeking advice about Pila - lots of useful information on that, including which of the Crystal hotels is best for ski school access.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy