Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which airport for Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Help please, heading to Les Arcs for New Year, Google maps suggests there isn't much in it between Grenoble and Geneva time wise. Anyone have a strong view one way or the other? Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They both can suffer with quite severe overcrowding .
Anecdotally I once was in a queue of about 2 hours to pick up a rental car at Grenoble which I've never had at Geneva. Equally a Bens bus transfer coach took over two hours to get to pick us up at Geneva which I haven't had at Grenoble. But I have continued to use both but don't particularly like either on a Saturday in season.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any reason why you wouldn’t consider Lyon as it’s much the same time wise as both Grenoble and Geneva.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Geneva
Grenoble
Lyon
Chambery

Which can you fly into/out of, and on what dates/days of week?
Self drive/shared transfer/public transport?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 28-02-24 18:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always go via Geneva now if I'm going anywhere in the French Tarentaise area. It's an easy drive, it's a major airport, it has lots of options flight wise and if there is a delay there is more there. I've never had an issue flying into or out of Geneva but I've only had a 50% success rate with flights into the slightly closer Chambery, which I've stopped using. Only negative about Geneva is it can be busy to check in and get through security at times (specifically on the way back), but it's fairly well organised.

thumbs up from me on using Ben's Bus btw, I've never had to wait more than an hour for it. But i prefer renting a car.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Unless you are travelling Sat or Sun, Geneva if you want a shared transfer.
If you are hiring a car then Geneva or Lyon, then Grenoble, then Chambery. Bearing in mind Swiss hire cars will have snow tyres, French ones probably won’t.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swiss cars should normally have snow tyres.
In season French cars will by law have snow equipment... which should be snow tyres but could be just chains/socks.

For the airport it also depends on your carrier - we've done Grenoble before (because of Ryanair), Geneva works too (if on Swiss or easyJet).

Note that if driving from Geneva via the motorway you usually pass by Grenoble anyways.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
patrick! wrote:

Note that if driving from Geneva via the motorway you usually pass by Grenoble anyways.

You sure you're not thinking of Chambery? I've never passed Grenoble driving from Geneva to Les Arcs.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scongie wrote:
Help please, heading to Les Arcs for New Year, Google maps suggests there isn't much in it between Grenoble and Geneva time wise. Anyone have a strong view one way or the other? Thanks.

none.. get the train. same time, less environmental issues and similar cost by the time youve paid for a transfer from airport to the resort as the train arrives a short 7 min funicular away from les arcs out of the train station.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

short 7 min funicular away from les arcs out of the train station.

Arc 1600 to be specific, not as useful for 1800/1950/2000
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris wrote:
Quote:

short 7 min funicular away from les arcs out of the train station.

Arc 1600 to be specific, not as useful for 1800/1950/2000

why not i use it every year for arc 1800. 7 mins on funicular up then 10 mins on a free bus to 1800. hardly a chore.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Macker13, Yes just making the point that saying it goes to Les Arcs is a bit vague as there are then other steps to add - which may make a difference to anyone with lots of kit, small children etc
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T Bar wrote:
patrick! wrote:

You sure you're not thinking of Chambery? I've never passed Grenoble driving from Geneva to Les Arcs.
and you are correct. Explains why Mrs. Patrick trusts the GPS more than me! Apologies.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If flying I always use Geneva. There are many more flight options and this year they are very cheap. Get an early flight then the train to Bourg st Maurice and the funicular. It also depends to a bery large extent on what days of the week you want to fly. For example I cannot find any midweek flights to Grenoble or Chambery from Birmingham.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Geneva and Easyjet. Utter disaster.

I agree with the train if it suits you. Or more if it is not unsuitable.
latest report
There have been recent discussions about there being no hire cars at Grenoble, and few transport options. I don't see why "Geneva and EasyJet" should be "disaster". Without some explanation this is not a v useful comment. I've flown in and out of Geneva a fair bit and picked up people there a LOT and whilst all airports are a pain, there's nothing terrible about Geneva. Certainly, you can have a disaster at any airport but it's a big international airport with more transfer options from Gva than anywhere else, though car hire is expensive. Neither Grenoble nor Chambery cope well with busy Saturdays, even in decent weather.

Personally I'd drive from the UK if I had any choice.
latest report
The check in queues for easyjet at Geneva are an absolute nightmare. It's frequent that they are exceedingly long on both Saturday and Sundays. They snake through the airport, sometimes outdoors, then back in, then back out. There is not the infrastructure their with easyjet to make it run smoothly. Of course sometimes it will. I've had a Friday flights and it was a piece of cake. But Saturdays are awful.
ski holidays
@Legend., I wonder when you last went through Geneva with EasyJet. It seems much improved to me.

Lyons is a lovely airport. If that is an option I would always take it. Geneva has the advantage of more flight and transfer options though. I avoid Champery and Grenoble, there is just too much risk for me if things go wrong.
latest report
zikomo wrote:
@Legend., I wonder when you last went through Geneva with EasyJet. It seems much improved to me.

Lyons is a lovely airport. If that is an option I would always take it. Geneva has the advantage of more flight and transfer options though. I avoid Champery and Grenoble, there is just too much risk for me if things go wrong.

TBF it was a while ago. 13th Jan. It could well have transformed since then.
snow conditions
I'd say Geneva. Yes passport control on arrival will probably be very slow (and if it isn't bags will be) and yes, both EasyJet and Swiss checkin queues are long (as seemingly randomly is the security queue) - but if things go wrong there's a lot there. If you arrive 'early' at Grenoble you have to wait in a tent until you're then permitted into the terminal to queue for check-in, then you get to queue to be able to join the security queue, then you get to queue for security - and it's tiny so if anything goes wrong the airport will be out of food in an hour.
snow report
I think both Lyon and Geneva are better options than Chambery or Grenoble. It's slightly longer to get to Les Arcs than flying to Chambery or Grenoble, but not by a significant difference IMO. Lyon and Geneva both offer a wider range of flight options, a wider range of transfer options to get to Les Arcs, and are both more resilient in bad weather (especially better than Chambery).

There's not much difference between Lyon and Geneva in terms of transfer time, reliability of winter flights, etc. I think the main factor in deciding which airport should be your transfer plans to get to Les Arcs. Will you hire a car, travel by train, scheduled bus service, private or shared minibus? I recommend you look in to that before committing to a particular airport. I generally opt for car hire, so my preference is to fly to Geneva and hire a car from the Swiss side of the airport, which guarantees winter tyres. Not the cheapest option, but I think the most convenient.
ski holidays
Legend. wrote:
zikomo wrote:

Fair enough. I have found EasyJet check-in much better at Geneva this year. Not great, but certainly not the disaster it used to be.
ski holidays
patrick! wrote:
Swiss cars should normally have snow tyres.
In season French cars will by law have snow equipment... which should be snow tyres but could be just chains/socks..

Not in Lyon or Grenoble they won't, unless you ask for them.
snow report
Chambery is the closest to the resorts but it's also a strip of tarmac at the end of the valley with a hut at the side of it. Makes Southampton Airport look like Chicago.

For me, that's the reason not to use it. When it works it'll be fine. When anything goes wrong then not only are you knackered but you're probably also in a space about the size of a sports hall with a few thousand other people.

The other year, we drove rather then flew into Chambery and beat our flight by over 24 hours due to it being fogged in. At least with problems in the car we'd have had options but the plane flew part way then returned to Manchester to give it another go the following evening.
snow report
Avoid Grenoble like the plague. Used it twice and it is the very definition of shambolic chaos, especially departures!
latest report
Lyon is my preference for that part of the alps.

It's an actual airport rather than a shed on the side of the bit of tarmac. And is the least likely to get disrupted by bad weather out of the other options.
snow conditions
Flew Bristol to Geneva with easyJet and got train to BSM, funi to 1600 3 weeks ago. All went smoothly and I would do it again on my own or with friends. Wouldn't want to do it with family at new year though, I would drive. That is a consensus with the family based on experience of doing all options before at new year.
snow conditions
jirac18 wrote:
Avoid Grenoble like the plague. Used it twice and it is the very definition of shambolic chaos, especially departures!

Used it several times recently, times I used it it was pretty similar to Geneva in all honesty.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grenoble similar to a main hub airport? Really?
snow report
@Glosterwolf, What's the train journey GVA > BSM like?
snow report
zikomo wrote:
Grenoble similar to a main hub airport? Really?

In terms of length of time it took to do anything yes.
Last year went to Val DIsere via Geneva this year via Grenoble, both using Ben's bus. The experience in terms of queueing time taken etc was pretty similar.
Had a far worse wait at Geneva to get the bus outwards. Was worse queueing through security this year on the way back.

I've had far better experiences than Geneva at other airports much smaller
I'm not saying Grenoble is great but Geneva can be pretty hellish on a weekend in ski season.
snow report
Chambery wins.

Chambery = 100mins
Annecy = 120mins
Grenoble = 140mins
Lyon = 140mins
Geneva = 150mins
Turin = 190mins
St Etienne = 200mins
snow report
@T Bar, any airport can be unpleasant when busy. When Grenoble has problems it’s a different scale than when Geneva does because of the scale of airport and infrastructure. Your sample simple does not hold water.
snow report
Unless Grenoble has changed in the last few years (not been there for approx 5 years), then it can be summed up as "Hurry up and queue"

Arrive early? Wait until 2 hours before flight for the desks to open.
Queue for the desk - Done?
Queue for Security - Done?
Queue for Immigration clearance - Done?

Run to your gate as they have probably called last boarding. Absolutely awful!
ski holidays
I don’t see why people would even consider Grenoble over Lyon considering the short time difference between the two in getting to most of the usual resorts.

I’d happily take a much more refined, relaxed and calm airport experience and an extra 30 mins drive than what grenoble offers.
latest report
To the OP, neither option seems bad if the flight times work for you. if it's any comfort I'm going to Les Arcs at Easter via Turin which is significantly further but it's €700 for a family of 4 from Dublin vs nearly €3k to Geneva. I'm actually quite looking forward to the road trip.
latest report
zikomo wrote:
@T Bar, any airport can be unpleasant when busy. When Grenoble has problems it’s a different scale than when Geneva does because of the scale of airport and infrastructure. Your sample simple does not hold water.

Well I think both can be pretty poor. If I was choosing between them price and timing of flights would be more relevant than precisely which airport.
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:

+1 Specifically this airport and that airline. On the total opposite of that, flying Jet2 is quite good as they are exclusively from T2 and it is rarely busy over there, you still get bused over to the main terminal once you're through security.
ski holidays
Legend. wrote:

Odd, I travelled back to the uk via Easyjet on saturday 27/1, no queue for the easyjet checkins at all. I put it down to the new DIY bag check machines of which there are a lot. If it helps my flight back was at 13.10, I always pay a bit extra to get flights that arent first thing in the morning.

the queue at security/passport control coming in to Geneva on the saturday before was horrendous though Very Happy
latest report
ukoldschool wrote:
Legend. wrote:

Odd, I travelled back to the uk via Easyjet on saturday 27/1, no queue for the easyjet checkins at all. I put it down to the new DIY bag check machines of which there are a lot. If it helps my flight back was at 13.10, I always pay a bit extra to get flights that arent first thing in the morning.

the queue at security/passport control coming in to Geneva on the saturday before was horrendous though Very Happy

We flew at 16:30. (Given the transfer times from many of the mountains the first thing in the morning flights are an awful option quite often!)

I am doing it again in 2 weeks and will be interesting to see the difference. Flying Swiss this time and I am hoping it is not as bad.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy