Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Channnel tunnel with Skii’s on the roof ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody booked a tunnel crossing with Skii’s on the roof but not saying so when you book so you can go on the low height part of the train. Our car is a VW Passat with Ski rack. This is lower than most SUV’s. The reason I ask is the last two trips ( Xmas and Jan ) we haven’t had anything on top and have got on an earlier train even on peak Sat afternoon coming back. I guess the train has double capacity for small cars being double decker. My friends in their vans have to get the correct time train as the oversize section is always booked up.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes. Used to always click the things on roof but then figured out that one our car + skis is less than 185cm and we ended up being constrained on train times because we had to go in the high load train. So started booking the car with nothing on the roof. No one has questioned this.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Beware, c. driving 800 miles with bindings exposed to road salt is the best way to kill your gear - salt will be driven into ever nook & cranny and in a years time your bindings will be toast unless you cover them up. cling film works well if you can't use a ski bag.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's OK, the deluge of rain on the way there and on piste will rinse the salt off Eh oh!

On that note, what do they put in artificial snow to help it freeze? Is that corrosive?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Site says “will adding a roof box, or bicycles, change the price?” “Yes, any vehicle over 1.85m height, and vehicles with anything on the roof, will be unable to travel safely…)”

I’d be more comfortable if the And was an Or, but if others have succeeded, go ahead.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If they are not in a roof box couldn't you just take them off, put them in the car and remount at the far end? (I've never used the tunnel in a car, only ferries)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Csb123 wrote:
It's OK, the deluge of rain on the way there and on piste will rinse the salt off Eh oh!

Actually a deluge of rain en route is probably about the worst you could ask for! If it's try you just have the airborne crud to worry about but if it rains, then stops during that post rain 'road spray' period you're getting water that's hit the road and picked up crud getting thrown up, over your car, and onto your skis/bindings.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Our car is a VW Passat with Ski rack. This is lower than most SUV’s. The reason I ask is the last two trips ( Xmas and Jan ) we haven’t had anything on top and have got on an earlier train even on peak Sat afternoon coming back.

Unless you have a very weird ski rack the vehicle will be under 1.85m high and it will be treated exactly the same as if it didn't have a rack on the roof. If we have to put the skis on the roof we use a double sport tube and/or ski bags rather than a rack. The tube is over 20 years old and is great as it is quieter than the bags, easier to tie on and marginally better on fuel consumption. We use a Skoda Superb, the poor man's Passat.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Volvo XC60 165cm and if I don't select anything on the roof we're allocated low car. If I select roof bars and skis even though still well under 185 cm we're allocated high vehicle.
On way from from Calais few weeks back sensible French tunnel worker saw us queuing in high car lane and said move to low car no problem clearing the low barrier with roof bars and boarded a double decker train. In future we won't say we have anything on the roof and go straight to low car.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
in future we won't say we have anything on the roof and go straight to low car.

They're highly likely to spot at check-in that you've got stuff on the roof but not the appropriate ticket. Voice of experience here...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Csb123 wrote:

On that note, what do they put in artificial snow to help it freeze? Is that corrosive?

The use of chemicals to help water freeze has been banned in most countries for a very long time now, so I think you're safe. Although there are apparently some more recent systems that use 'harmless' bacteria to the same effect I don't know of anywhere that actually uses it or even if it would be allowed (but I don't pretend that I would, IYSWIM) .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@redthunder, even with a roof box I’m under 185 so I don’t tick anything and never get charged extra. Sometimes still get sent into over height, but no charge.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know the car is under height even with ski rack so will not say I have anything on the roof anymore. Good stuff. I have carried my skis to the alps and back many times over the years and seem to be fine. I will cover will clingfilm from now on !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boardinbob, Would they spot it at check in as it's all automated?

With a Land Rover above 1.85m even with nothing on roof, we always take overheight and never found any issues with availability and/or getting different time trains for early/late arrival.

I do think Tunnel are clamping down on people who buy the basic ticket and charge for any variation from booked train now. The Standard Plus does give a few hours either side
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boardinbob, wouldn't matter if they did. We don't have the wrong ticket we're under 185cm. As confirmed by return travel 2 weeks back.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy