Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to Aosta/Pila - is it doable?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I'm a newbie here Smile
I have been looking at a family ski holiday in Pila next year 2025 (half term). It was all looking good, until the airline I was planning to book with cancelled their flights into Milan. It is now looking much more convenient for us to fly into Geneva - due to having more flight options from our local airport. I just wondered how feasible it is to transfer from Geneva into Italy/to Pila? any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll be watching this one. I've driven it many times, but I can't imagine public transport with a family would be straight forward apart from maybe an expensive taxi? It looks close on the map, but you've got the Mont Blanc tunnel to contend with, which on occasion closes. And it costs 50 euros each way in a car. There's transfer companies that go as far as Chamonix (alpybus?) but from there, ???
Is there any way you could fly to Turin?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is possible yes: when last we aranged this for a relative, it required a bus to chamonix, then another bus to courmayeur - not sure if that bus would carry on to Aosta or required a third bus. Now though it looks like Flixbus do a regular service, the N1524
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for the replies. We will be travelling with a 10 year old and 17 year old.
Yes, what we save in terms of convenience to and from the airport in the UK, we may make up for when we get there! I had thought about the toll prices in the Mont Blanc tunnel, closures, plus traffic etc I guess.

The Flixbus sounds like an interesting option so I am going to look into this.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You would be well advised to sort out the UK end so you fly into Turin or Milan. Turin is about 30 mins closer than MXP to Aosta. (Linate and Bergamo are further away still) Whilst you can get a bus via Chamonix, there are probably only only or two a day that make sense in sensible time
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
t44tomo wrote:
You would be well advised to sort out the UK end so you fly into Turin or Milan. Turin is about 30 mins closer than MXP to Aosta. (Linate and Bergamo are further away still) Whilst you can get a bus via Chamonix, there are probably only only or two a day that make sense in sensible time

Thanks for the reply and info. I will explore flights from UK into Italy, as it seems to be the best option all round. A particular concern is the possible closure or traffic in the Mont Blanc Tunnel too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you drive from Geneva via the [Correction] Gd.St.Bernard Tunnel to the Aosta Valley, there is the point that you’ll drive past turnoffs to Gstaad, Leysin/Les Diablerets/Glacier 3000, Champéry and the Portes du Soleil, Martigny and Chamonix, and of course right under Verbier before you reach the Swiss end of the tunnel. And in the time it takes to get to your destination you would have already got to Crans-Montana and Zermatt and various other small resorts. Basically, it’s somewhat perverse - as it would be to fly to Milan, in order to get to, say Crans or Verbier.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 28-02-24 20:42; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LaForet, Maybe you are thinking of a different tunnel.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's easy enough to drive from Geneva through the Mont Blanc Tunnel (neither end of which is in Switzerland). The French end of the tunnel is up above Chamonix and when you come out the Italian side you drop down fairly quickly into Aosta. But I agree it would be better to fly into Turin. Car rental much is cheap in Turin then it's an easy motorway journey to Aosta, with no concerns about the opening or cost of the MB tunnel. I wouldn't bother with public transport from either airport.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Origen wrote:
It's easy enough to drive from Geneva through the Mont Blanc Tunnel (neither end of which is in Switzerland). The French end of the tunnel is up above Chamonix and when you come out the Italian side you drop down fairly quickly into Aosta. But I agree it would be better to fly into Turin. Car rental much is cheap in Turin then it's an easy motorway journey to Aosta, with no concerns about the opening or cost of the MB tunnel. I wouldn't bother with public transport from either airport.

Thank you and for the info regarding car hire too. I will aim for flights to Turin.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Canuck wrote:
I'll be watching this one. I've driven it many times, but I can't imagine public transport with a family would be straight forward apart from maybe an expensive taxi? It looks close on the map, but you've got the Mont Blanc tunnel to contend with, which on occasion closes. And it costs 50 euros each way in a car. There's transfer companies that go as far as Chamonix (alpybus?) but from there, ???
Is there any way you could fly to Turin?

Will aim for Turin! thank you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi - In March 2023 a group of us spent a weekend in La Thuile in the Aosta Valley, with transfer from Geneva. The transfer company were excellent, details here:

Web: www.airporttransfers.it

Email: info@airporttransfers.it

Cost was €600 return for 4 of us.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pila is quite a bit further (from Geneva, not from Turin) than La Thuile - and a rental car from Turin would cost a lot less than that.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you for all the replies - all been really helpful and have helped me decide on flying into Turin, if at all possible. Will work out either car hire or transfer from there Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's been a long time since I've been through the Mont Blanc tunnel in winter, but what are the queues like? I did it in summer a couple of years ago and going into Italy in July the queue was easily 5 hours and on the way back into France a few days later we waited a couple of hours. It's because they stagger the vehicles now for safety reasons following the fire a few years ago. If its as bad in winter then I'd definitely avoid flying into Geneva and fly into Italy. So many airports to choose from around Turin or Milan
ski holidays
Just fyi I started a discussion by mistake, as @rjs suspected - I meant the Grand St. Bernard Tunnel, not the Mt.Blanc Tunnel. The route from Geneva would be around the lake, via Lausanne and Montreux, to Martigny, then up to the St. Bernard Tunnel and down the other side in the direction of Aosta. I don’t think I’d take the southern route through France or at Martigny drive through Chamonix to get to the Mt.Blanc Tunnel.
ski holidays
I took that route last Easter, to pick up my grandson in Genoa. It was not the way any of the route finding apps suggested, I just thought it would make a change. I drove across the Jura from Dijon - and meandered a bit, not deliberately, just wasn't 100% concentration on the navigation and wasn't in a hurry. The whole journey was quite a lot of a faff, really but it made a change and I'd not been through the Grand St Bernard before. The Mont Blanc tunnel route would probably have been more straightforward. I hit quite a bit of traffic round Lausanne. one of the routes from France/Switzerland are anything like as straightforward as hopping on the motorway at Torino!
snow report
Google maps suggests 30minutes longer going through the GSB tunnel than the MB one.
latest report
Pre-covid I have done this. ChamExpress to Courmayeur (needed to change minibuses at Les Houches), then service bus to Aosta.
AFAIK there is no scheduled pubic transport service (although Flixbus may have a route now).
To get to Pila you’d then need either another bus or to take the gondola, but I would recommend looking at accommodation in central Aosta instead.
snow report
Mont Blanc tunnel queues are very variable. Peak week (Carnivale / Paris February week Saturday am going to Italy you’re going to wait.
25+ journeys at various other days / times / non-peak Saturdays - never had to wait more than 15min.
snow conditions
Quote:

I would recommend looking at accommodation in central Aosta instead.

I wouldn't do that unless you had a car. It can be quite a hike, and a tedious one, from some parts of Aosta to the gondola. Even in comfortable shoes!
ski holidays
@Surfingonskis,

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Geneva-Airport-GVA/Aosta
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy